ADVERTISEMENT

On Full Display TC5

Good stuff ... if he can hit that silky smooth jumper in real games and be versatile in his attack we will be good and he will be moving on after the year.

Good stuff ... if he can hit that silky smooth jumper in real games and be versatile in his attack we will be good and he will be moving on after the year.
Considering Cook barely used it last year, and not in the PTL this year basically until now, it might be a couple years before his jumper's ready for the pros, despite the fact that it looks like it could get there eventually.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Considering Cook barely used it last year, and not in the PTL this year basically until now, it might be a couple years before his jumper's ready for the pros, despite the fact that it looks like it could get there eventually.

The pros draft primarily on potential and far less on how refined a players game is. Show a nice jumper a little and that may be all that is needed along with showing versatility and being able to defend.

Would love to see the video. Will not sit through a minute and a half commercial to do so.

Cook has probably never really had to rely on a jumper. He's big, strong, and fast and can get to the hoop whenever, so why settle for a 15 foot jumper? There is no doubt in my mind that he has a good 15 foot jump shot and it was on display last night in PTL. Good time to show it off.

The pros draft primarily on potential and far less on how refined a players game is. Show a nice jumper a little and that may be all that is needed along with showing versatility and being able to defend.
Yes and no. Guys drafted on potential generally have something that can't be taught already- unusual height for their position, great speed, etc- something that's immediately useful as a piece on the floor. Lots of pro guys can jump. Regardless of potential, to get paid to play, you've got to be ready for the floor. For Cook, at his height, that means a reliable, game-ready jumper.

I like seeing the catch and shoot 3 on the move. Not because he'll be like Peter off screens, but because that means he's getting more comfortable shooting without having time to size someone up.

I couldn't care less about an Iowa player in the NBA. All I care about are college wins, tournament wins and Big 10 Championships.
More Hawks in the NBA = more exposure = more high level guys considering Iowa and seeing they can get to the NBA through Iowa

Reactions: Kurt Warner

He did shoot it outside in first few games especially Seton Hall. But people forget he broke a finger on his shooting hand where he couldn't shoot for almost a month during the season and after he returned was hesitant to shoot outside until last couple of games. Imagine a qb during the season who hurt his throwing arm in the middle of the season and couldn't throw for a month I bet when he returned he'd be rusty and little gun shy chucking ball down field. I think he will surprise some people next year hitting 10-15 ft jumpers more often.

Last edited:
More Hawks in the NBA = more exposure = more high level guys considering Iowa and seeing they can get to the NBA through Iowa

TShirt, The guys you are talking about are "one and done" guys and we will never get those.
They go to about a dozen schools we are all aware of and a few schools who "pay their price" to their dad or a handler. We don't want them.
Do you think Reggie Evans helped Iowa's recruiting ? How about our only one and done Ricky Davis ? B J Armstrong ? Think he helped our recruiting ? How about Brad Lohaus ?
Like I said before, I care about results while at Iowa. I don't care if they end up out of school as an Accountant, sell insurance, or work for Hy-Vee .
Very, very few Iowa athletes ever contribute anything significant financially to their alma mater after making millions professionally. I can think of Jim Sundberg, Brad Lohaus and if I try maybe a few others.

The football team has had a few dozen guys play in the NFL in recent years but yet we always struggle between 5 and 8 wins a year (with a few exceptions). I'd like to win a Bowl Game or a Big 10 title.

If Tyler Cook's jumper becomes solid, it could help to give him some more room to pass and go to the rack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT