ADVERTISEMENT

On July 17, 2020, Ruth Bader Ginsburg Announced She Had Cancer Again. It's pretty obvious Now that she should have Stepped Down in July or Even Sooner

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Because 2 months later she is gone.

IMPORTANT NOTE concerning the timeline: her chemo treatments started in May. Her announcement came 2 months later, in July.

Let's be clear. Her cancer was a lot more serious than what was disclosed in July. She was probably told it was terminal and given a short time to live. And it's obvious why she did not step down.

No one saw her death coming BECAUSE the American public was misled when she stated in July that her cancer has returned and that chemotherapy is yielding positive results. In a statement, she said that her most recent scan, on July 7, "indicated significant reduction of the liver lesions and no new disease."

"I am tolerating chemotherapy well and am encouraged by the success of my current treatment. I will continue bi-weekly chemotherapy to keep my cancer at bay, and am able to maintain an active daily routine. Throughout, I have kept up with opinion writing and all other Court work. I have often said I would remain a member of the Court as long as I can do the job full steam. I remain fully able to do that."

She couldn't officially step down, of course, because of politics and the fear of the Supreme Court becoming even more conservative. If she had stepped down in May (when the chemo treatments began) or July, Trump would have had AT LEAST 4 months (July-November) to get a judge nominated and confirmed.

Her not stepping down in May, July or earlier, when she should have, is a big problem, folks. In many ways.

Last edited:
It’s a lifetime appointment and RBG fulfilled it. RBG knew what was at stake if 45* was able to replace her, so she held on as long as she could. Not very many good reasons why she should begrudgingly step down from a lifetime appointment unless her mental capacities were compromised. Especially, not to give 45* more time to appoint an ultra conservative partisan hack to do his autocratic bidding. RBG realized the threat 45* was to this country and by retaining her seat she attempted to subvert it.

She could have enjoyed the last few months with family and friends. Instead, RBG was a patriot who gave the last measure of her life attempting to hold the seat from DJT through the election.

I sometimes disagreed with her opinions, but she was all class fighting bravely against both a deadly disease and the misguided corruption the stains the White House.

Sorry to see her go. Had her in the 2021 dead pool dropping quickly after DJT is removed from the White House.

Her body, yes. Her seat on the Court belongs to the people. There's a difference.
May the lady rest in peace. May the facts speak for themselves.

Justices hanging on too long or leaving a bit early so that their party can nominate his/her successor is hardly anything new. RBG was clearly hoping to hang on until January/Biden.

In a perfect world, yeah it would have been good for her to retire and focus on herself for her last few months. In the real world, particularly given the bad blood (on both sides) b/t RBG and Trump, I get it.

Reactions: ghost80
IF a 87 yr old Supreme Court Justice has terminal cancer
and then misleads the public about her condition............
we have an issue of doing what is best for the nation.

RBG did it her way and now the truth is that a U.S. President
has a term of 4 years, not 3 years and 9 months. Nothing in
the U.S. Constitution prohibits a President from nominating
a Justice for the U.S Supreme Court.

Her body, yes. Her seat on the Court belongs to the people. There's a difference.
You really want to go down that road? If you do you have to do the same for presidents and congresspersons. Ronnie R. would have had to have stepped down and a couple of hundred congress persons over history would have also. Also, who decides at what level the medical situation is dire enough to be forced to step down?

Reactions: sober_teacher
Compare RBG to Herman Cain. They both made choices.

Ole Herman would be alive today if he would have declined the photo op in Tulsa.

IMPORTANT NOTE concerning the timeline: her chemo treatments started in May. Her announcement came 2 months later, in July.

Let's be clear. Her cancer was a lot more serious than what was disclosed in July. She was probably told it was terminal and given a short time to live. And it's obvious why she did not step down.

No one saw her death coming BECAUSE the American public was misled when she stated in July that her cancer has returned and that chemotherapy is yielding positive results. In a statement, she said that her most recent scan, on July 7, "indicated significant reduction of the liver lesions and no new disease."

"I am tolerating chemotherapy well and am encouraged by the success of my current treatment. I will continue bi-weekly chemotherapy to keep my cancer at bay, and am able to maintain an active daily routine. Throughout, I have kept up with opinion writing and all other Court work. I have often said I would remain a member of the Court as long as I can do the job full steam. I remain fully able to do that."

She couldn't officially step down, of course, because of politics and the fear of the Supreme Court becoming even more conservative. If she had stepped down in May (when the chemo treatments began) or July, Trump would have had AT LEAST 4 months (July-November) to get a judge nominated and confirmed.

Her not stepping down in May, July or earlier, when she should have, is a big problem, folks. In many ways.

Scalia should have stepped down months before he died too. The writing was on the wall. Idiotic article.

Reactions: Joes Place
Ruth should have stepped down under Obama, but she wanted to make a feminine statement by holding out for Hillary,.. Then when Trump won the presidency she moved to plan "C" which involved trying to outlive Trump's administration,.. Just ran out of time...

I lost a terrific friend to pancreatic cancer - from what I've read about the progression of RBG's pancreatic cancer and what I know of my friend's progression, it is strikingly similar. My friend was an incredibly intelligent woman and an absolutely phenomenal physician. She was sharp as a tack and lucid until her final couple of days. Anyone assuming that RBG's mental faculties were missing because of complications associated with pancreatic cancer does not, IMO, understand the disease.

Ruth should have stepped down under Obama, but she wanted to make a feminine statement by holding out for Hillary,.. Then when Trump won the presidency she moved to plan "C" which involved trying to outlive Trump's administration,.. Just ran out of time...
Or was it that Bitch McConnell was already holding up a vote from March for the open appointment and she didn't want weaken the court any further with 2 missing justices.

Trump has the votes and is going to do what he pleases, but the hypocrisy and walk back of the Senate Republicans is staggering.

its ironic how the D's accuse the R's of saying one thing one year and something else now when it comes to a Supreme Court vacancy.

Well, Ruth did the same thing when it came to the Supreme Court vacancy. She said one thing one year and something else right up until her death.. Again, she was quoted saying "I have often said I would remain a member of the Court as long as I can do the job full steam. I remain fully able to do that."

Well, from watching interviews yesterday of her friends, it was clear that for at least several weeks she was NOT "fully able to do that."

Nobody should be playing games with the Supreme Court. Not the R's, not the D's, not ever RBG.

She did mislead the nation, lets face it. Because of politics. And politics don't belong in the Supreme Court. Period.

And, no, I am not in favor of overturning any existing laws, for the record. Not abortion. Not the ACA.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
IMO, RBG should have stepped down during the Obama administration and let him fill her spot on the court. It's pretty easy to say this in hindsight though. I am pretty sure the Dems thought that they would win the presidency in 2016 and rolled the dice. I'm on record as wanting the Republicans to wait until after the election. And I don't want a lame duck appointment either. Trump wins, elections have consequences. Biden wins, go get yourself a liberal judge.

Probably, but why should any of these standards matter? Decorum left the building a long, long time ago.

You sure about this? Trump seems to think it belongs to him.

That is why I wrote in the original post that her not stepping down in May, July or earlier, when she should have, is a big problem. In many ways.
You really want to go down that road? If you do you have to do the same for presidents and congresspersons. Ronnie R. would have had to have stepped down and a couple of hundred congress persons over history would have also. Also, who decides at what level the medical situation is dire enough to be forced to step down?

IMO, RBG should have stepped down during the Obama administration and let him fill her spot on the court. It's pretty easy to say this in hindsight though. I am pretty sure the Dems thought that they would win the presidency in 2016 and rolled the dice. I'm on record as wanting the Republicans to wait until after the election. And I don't want a lame duck appointment either. Trump wins, elections have consequences. Biden wins, go get yourself a liberal judge.

rolling the dice. gambling. is this how nominees for the Supreme Court should work?

its ironic how the D's accuse the R's of saying one thing one year and something else now when it comes to a Supreme Court vacancy.

Well, Ruth did the same thing when it came to the Supreme Court vacancy. She said one thing one year and something else right up until her death.. Again, she was quoted saying "I have often said I would remain a member of the Court as long as I can do the job full steam. I remain fully able to do that."

Well, from watching interviews yesterday of her friends, it was clear that for at least several weeks she was NOT "fully able to do that."

Nobody should be playing games with the Supreme Court. Not the R's, not the D's, not ever RBG.

She authored 13 majority and dissenting opinions for the 2019 term - slightly less than her normal but not out of the normal range. Stephen Breyer filed 12 opinions. I don't know what her friend said that would caus eon to infer that he was not fully able to do her job for several week. Nonetheless, for all intents and purposes, SCOTUS generally wraps up its issuing its opinions in July and recess until the term begins in October.

Nothing in the Constitution but several Senators made their opinions about nominations in an election year known. But somehow, I dont' think they still feel the same way.

Reactions: ironside1
That is why I wrote in the original post that her not stepping down in May, July or earlier, when she should have, is a big problem. In many ways.
The big problem is that Trump was elected. Those that voted for him are culpable in the demise we're seeing in the country, including the Supreme Court. This disgusting chapter in the history of our country will take a few generations, at least, to resolve.

She authored 13 majority and dissenting opinions for the 2019 term - slightly less than her normal but not out of the normal range. Stephen Breyer filed 12 opinions. I don't know what her friend said that would caus eon to infer that he was not fully able to do her job for several week. Nonetheless, for all intents and purposes, SCOTUS generally wraps up its issuing its opinions in July and recess until the term begins in October.

Yep.

OP is full of shit on this one.

She didn't because she loves the Republic and knew precisely what would take place, and here we are. Anything else?

Not many thought Trump would win, especially the Democrats. There was no reason to be worried. Replacing RGB was supposed to be Hillary's job.
Actually, Hillary would have put 2 liberals on the court right off the bat (assuming RBG did retire), making the Supreme Court lean 5-4 on the liberal side

Not many thought Trump would win, especially the Democrats. There was no reason to be worried. Replacing RGB was supposed to be Hillary's job.
As I said earlier, with McConnell already holding an open seat in limbo, stating outright he would not even hold a vote for Obama's nominee (8 months before election), why would RBG put another seat of the court in limbo. It wasn't ego, it was the reality that a Republican McConnell lead Senate was going to decline ANY nominee until election. Republicans were counting on a flip of power. After 8 years of of a presidency, history has usually swung to the other party.

Mitch got HIS wish and continues his mantra "for the people" if they are Republican. People trash Pelosi, but she understands someone has to have a spine and stand up to the Tbagging Tea party sycophants.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
ADVERTISEMENT