ADVERTISEMENT

One Bad Month?

CRHawk85

Rookie
Jan 17, 2015
Would it be fair to say that in terms of Fran's tenure at Iowa that he has really only had one bad month at Iowa? Late Feb/ early March'14? aside from this Iowa has been damn good in terms of overall growth of the program.

I wouldn't even say that was a bad month. Some pretty extenuating circumstances at that time.

The only blip so far, and it's a speck, is the kid who was a convict. Him getting kicked off or whatever happened, and BFD.

Honestly, this program is still in major ascension mode.

Every season of the McC era, except 13-14 saw the boys hit a stretch of bad ball, then right the ship and play their best ball at the end of the season. The boys were a little bumpy this year but they're also playing in the their biggest games and getting better at playing the bigger games.

At this point the trajectory remains up. Maybe not a linear ascension but a fairly quick ascension from the depths to which the Hawks had sunk. The reasons for optimism certainly appear to more numerous and weighty than those for pessimism.

Go Hawks!

Maybe a month of bad press trying to say he's a maniac but I approve, let's get MAD again! And again, until B1G Champ!

I agree with the op, if one was to grade without looking for reasons, but strictly on wins/losses, the progression of the Iowa program has been steady as a smooth sailing ship but for that one month.

As always the question is what comes next. Just think, all the guys we've seen play in an Iowa uniform? Other than an exhibition game for Baer and a few moments of Ellingson trying to play on a bad leg. Other than that? We've got six guys returning with game experience and of that bunch only two will be back next year. It's hard to imagine, but at this moment we've only seen two of the guys who will be on the 2016/17 roster actually play as Hawkeyes.

2015/16 is all about the returning seniors, and Jok and Uhl, and what roles and support the newbies can be.
2016/17 is barely even written yet. That group will be what I'd call "phase three" And I hesitate to get worked up about who can play point, or who will do what. Way to soon to get worried or excited.

2015/16, Celebrating phase two. It will be tough but win 23 games and we send Gesell, Clemmons and Woodbury out having won ninety games as Hawkeyes! Just looking at that, without reasons but strictly wins/losses? I'd say the corners been turned.

And then we get to see what a new batch of guys can do for us.

ADVERTISEMENT