ADVERTISEMENT

One Game, but.....

I'm saying yes they are and yes at most all power conference schools this is what is happening. Iowa's private donations to the UI Foundation I'm sure are north of $50M per year, it is likely more. You don't think these other schools have NIL's funded that provide for six figures for incoming prospects? Otz at ISU is a good recruiter, but you think it happenstance that he has a class coming in of all 4 and 5-star talent waiting to play in Ames?

It's rumored that Estrella got $400k to go to Tennessee. Tennessee. Pretty good tradition in hoops, but not Duke, KU, etc. So yes, I'm saying that these other schools have boosters kicking in the funds. Iowa may not have them to the scale of a Phil Knight at Oregon or the rabid fan base of a Tennessee, but Iowa is going to have to shift the focus. The Athletic Department is going to need to encourage its boosters to spend less on the foundation and more on NIL for player procurement and retention.

Ryan Day at OSU was speaking at a OSU alumni event (similar to the I-Club). His comments were that they would need $13M annually at OSU to field a roster. If you just divide that up among 85 scholarships that is a bit over $150k per player. Some are probably well above that, some less.

I do believe there is plenty of money to go around for good players in the portal. The receivers and QB at Nebraska this year I am very certain got six figure deals to go to Nebraska. Random backup at Iowa who hasn't played enters the portal, not likely to get money. Actual good player that multiple teams are offering, yes I'm saying that player is getting a lot of money.

There is a lack of good leadership (Barta) in setting up NIL. Then Iowa has comfortable coaches like KF and Fran that are already well paid and have good job security. Neither seems to be the type to embrace change.

Then you have the University of Iowa is run by progressives, so hearing that the swarm NIL divides money equally between men and women's basketball is not surprising.

The reality is mens Football/basketball pays the bills for all of women's athletics. It should be easier to raise NIL money for men's football and basketball and there is no reason women's basketball should get an equal cut of NIL unless the person/organization donating wants it to be that way.

Not surprising to see Iowa way behind the curve in NIL and the programs being less competitive because of this.

Everybody is reading a lot into one game. Came out, shot very poorly, probably not a common failing this season. Tired, game 2 in a longish trip. Did look smallish in the middle at times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT