ADVERTISEMENT

One plug to rule them all?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
LONDON (AP) — Forget rummaging through the junk drawer. Soon, Europeans will only need to reach for one cable to charge their smartphones and other devices.

European Union officials said they inked a provisional agreement Tuesday that will require a uniform charging cord in the 27-nation bloc. It’s part of a wider effort to make products sold in the EU more sustainable and cut down on electronic waste.

The new rules, which will take effect by fall 2024, mean EU consumers will only need to use a common USB Type-C cable for small and medium-sized rechargeable, portable electronic devices.

“European consumers were frustrated with multiple chargers piling up within their homes,” Alex Agius Saliba, the European Parliament’s lead negotiator, said at a press briefing in Brussels. “Now, they will be able to go with a single charger for all portable electronics, which is an important step to increase consumer convenience.”

The devices covered include mobile phones, tablets, e-readers, earbuds, digital cameras, headphones and headsets, handheld videogame consoles, keyboards and mice, portable speakers and navigation devices.

Laptops also are covered, but manufacturers will have extra time to comply.

The rules apply only to devices sold in the European single market, which consists of 30 countries. However, like the EU’s strict privacy regulations, they could end up becoming a de facto standard for the rest of the world.

While many electronics makers have started adopting USB-C sockets into their devices, Apple has been one of the main holdouts.

Apple, which did not respond to a request for comment, has previously said it’s concerned the rules would limit innovation and hurt consumers. The company’s iPhones come with its own Lightning charging port, though newer models include cables that can be plugged into a USB-C socket.

The EU rules also outline standards for fast charging technology and give consumers the right to choose whether to buy new devices with or without a charger, which the EU estimates will save consumers 250 million euros ($266 million) a year.

Reducing electronic waste is another goal. The EU estimates disposed or unused chargers account for 11,000 metric tons of e-waste in Europe every year.

“One in every three chargers that is bundled with these products is never opened from its original packaging,” according to the European Commission’s impact assessment, Saliba said.

The EU spent more than a decade trying to cajole the electronics industry into adopting a common charging standard, an effort that whittled different charging plugs down to a handful until the commission, which is the bloc’s executive arm, forced the issue with draft legislation last September.

The European Parliament and European Council are expected to give formal approval to the agreement after the summer break.

I vote this for universal standard.
OIP.uMnbBpiFvCiwX2qCwKIPCQHaHa

A group of Senate Democrats is calling on the US Commerce Department to follow Europe’s lead in forcing all smartphone manufacturers to build devices that adhere to a universal charging standard.

In a Thursday letter addressed to Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, Sen. Ed Markey (D-MA) — along with Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Bernie Sanders (I-VT) — demanded that the department develop a strategy to require a common charging port across all mobile devices.

The letter comes a week after European Union lawmakers reached a deal on new legislation forcing all smartphones and tablets to be equipped with USB-C ports by fall 2024.

“The EU has wisely acted in the public interest by taking on powerful technology companies over this consumer and environmental issue,” the senators wrote. “The United States should do the same.”

“THIS WASTE IS DRIVING CONSUMERS UP THE WALL, AND IT’S DRIVING OUR PLANET DEEPER INTO A CLIMATE CRISIS”

In the letter, the senators argue that proprietary chargers, like Apple’s Lightning ports, create unnecessary amounts of e-waste and impose financial burdens on consumers upgrading devices or who own multiple devices from different manufacturers.

“Year after year, Americans pile our outdated chargers onto landfills while we shell out more money to tech companies for new ones,” Markey said in a statement to The Verge on Thursday. “This waste is driving consumers up the wall, and it’s driving our planet deeper into a climate crisis. I’m asking the Department of Commerce to follow the lead of the European Union and look into solutions so that we can save our money, our sanity, and our planet.”

Unlike the EU law, the senators are not requesting that the Commerce Department codify USB-C as the universal charging standard. Rather, their request to create “a comprehensive strategy” is more broad, leaving room for the department to develop its own standard. Following the EU mandate, critics argued that the rule would stifle innovation and inhibit smartphone manufacturers from advancing faster charging standards in the future.

Asked if the senators expected pushback from the tech industry, a Markey spokesperson told The Verge, “Big Tech is allergic to regulation, and we’re already seeing companies push back on the EU’s action. Senator Markey thinks that we have to continue to stand up to this industry to make sure their interests don’t come at the expense of environmental and consumer wellbeing.”

If these clowns are for it, you know it's a bad idea....

It's the reason you can travel or move anywhere in America and plug in your appliances and "stuff" and have it all run, seamlessly.

Absent regulations like this, and you'd have had America divided up with power grids "compatible" with single manufacturers.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
I think every new phone I’ve ever purchased came with a charging cord. And if one gets lost or damaged, I can get a new one at Walmart for $10. I don’t see a problem here. Besides, in a few years most of our charging will be done wirelessly anyway. This is unnecessary legislation and regulation.

• Love
Reactions: The Tradition
A group of Senate Democrats is calling on the US Commerce Department to follow Europe’s lead in forcing all smartphone manufacturers to build devices that adhere to a universal charging standard.

In a Thursday letter addressed to Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, Sen. Ed Markey (D-MA) — along with Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Bernie Sanders (I-VT) — demanded that the department develop a strategy to require a common charging port across all mobile devices.

The letter comes a week after European Union lawmakers reached a deal on new legislation forcing all smartphones and tablets to be equipped with USB-C ports by fall 2024.

“The EU has wisely acted in the public interest by taking on powerful technology companies over this consumer and environmental issue,” the senators wrote. “The United States should do the same.”

“THIS WASTE IS DRIVING CONSUMERS UP THE WALL, AND IT’S DRIVING OUR PLANET DEEPER INTO A CLIMATE CRISIS”

In the letter, the senators argue that proprietary chargers, like Apple’s Lightning ports, create unnecessary amounts of e-waste and impose financial burdens on consumers upgrading devices or who own multiple devices from different manufacturers.

“Year after year, Americans pile our outdated chargers onto landfills while we shell out more money to tech companies for new ones,” Markey said in a statement to The Verge on Thursday. “This waste is driving consumers up the wall, and it’s driving our planet deeper into a climate crisis. I’m asking the Department of Commerce to follow the lead of the European Union and look into solutions so that we can save our money, our sanity, and our planet.”

Unlike the EU law, the senators are not requesting that the Commerce Department codify USB-C as the universal charging standard. Rather, their request to create “a comprehensive strategy” is more broad, leaving room for the department to develop its own standard. Following the EU mandate, critics argued that the rule would stifle innovation and inhibit smartphone manufacturers from advancing faster charging standards in the future.

Asked if the senators expected pushback from the tech industry, a Markey spokesperson told The Verge, “Big Tech is allergic to regulation, and we’re already seeing companies push back on the EU’s action. Senator Markey thinks that we have to continue to stand up to this industry to make sure their interests don’t come at the expense of environmental and consumer wellbeing.”

Why are lawmakers "demanding" that the commerce secretary develop a rule with no law giving commerce the authority to do such a thing?

Why don't the lawmakers, you know, make a law if they think this is needed?

Why are lawmakers "demanding" that the commerce secretary develop a rule with no law giving commerce the authority to do such a thing?

Why don't the lawmakers, you know, make a law if they think this is needed?
We need to extend this into other products as well for absolutely no reason. We have four vehicles in our household and they use three different oil viscosity ratings and three different models of oil filters. So annoying. Every new car should use the same oil and same filter.

And don’t even get me started on tires. Every one of them uses a different size.

FML.

I think every new phone I’ve ever purchased came with a charging cord. And if one gets lost or damaged, I can get a new one at Walmart for $10.

No, not when a new variation is introduced you don't find "a new one at Walmart".

Walmart and 3rd parties start copying them years later.

Why limit it to just phones? Can it be used to power all appliances/ computers/ electronics with removable plugs below a certain wattage?

Uh...we actually HAVE cords for damn near "everything" that run off 3-prong outlets, 120V, 60Hz in this country. It's why you don't have different ones from every manufacturer.

Now, there IS some downside here, in that regulations can stifle innovation with newer stuff. But the reality is the industry is now pretty well established, and USB-C is a very capable standard for charging and data transfer. Many handheld devices are moving to wireless charging, anyway.

We need to extend this into other products as well for absolutely no reason. We have four vehicles in our household and they use three different oil viscosity ratings and three different models of oil filters. So annoying. Every new car should use the same oil and same filter.

And don’t even get me started on tires. Every one of them uses a different size.

FML.
Now you're just being silly.

There are LOTS of "standards" that are followed with the design and maintenance of your cars.

Pro Tip: Apple isn’t the only company that makes lighning cables.
They absolutely were the first year or two they were introduced.
And early versions weren't fully compatible from 3rd party vendors; you got a message on iPhones if you used one from a 3rd party that didn't have the smart-chips in the devices.

FML.

Guess what?

To "recharge" your car, you have ONE fuel inlet that is compatible with ANY gas station ANYWHERE in America. Know why that is?

#Standards

Did the government require it?
It is an industry standard, and yes, the "government" regulates this aspect of gas stations.

I believe you just posted lamenting about "non-standard charger ports" for electric vehicles. Imagine a world where your gas station choice is limited by the maker of the car you bought.

"Oh, shit...that's a gas station for Toyotas only.....gonna have to drive on to find one for Chevrolet"....

They absolutely were the first year or two they were introduced.
And early versions weren't fully compatible from 3rd party vendors; you got a message on iPhones if you used one from a 3rd party that didn't have the smart-chips in the devices.
Apple introduced the lightning cable in September 2012 and third party products hit the market in November 2012. You’re just making yourself look stupid here.

Apple introduced the lightning cable in September 2012 and third party products hit the market in November 2012.
Not at "$10".
And, as I've already told you, MANY of those copies were not 100% compatible.

So, to sum up the idiocy in this (and another) threads:

"OMG- Government is going to require a standard for smartphone charging cables!!!"
"OMG- Electric Vehicles might not be compatible w/o a government standard for charging cables!!!"

Gorgeous!!!

Yup

Not $10
Now they’re $7.88 (plus tax) at Walmart. And you can also buy them on Amazon or at Target or Best Buy or just about any pharmacy or grocery store or gas station or truck stop.

SOMEONE MAKE A LAW!

Uh...we actually HAVE cords for damn near "everything" that run off 3-prong outlets, 120V, 60Hz in this country. It's why you don't have different ones from every manufacturer.

Now, there IS some downside here, in that regulations can stifle innovation with newer stuff. But the reality is the industry is now pretty well established, and USB-C is a very capable standard for charging and data transfer. Many handheld devices are moving to wireless charging, anyway.
Yes, but the other end of the 3 prong is not standard, which is what I was referring. While some are attached to the appliance hardwired. Others have removable cords with different connection type., especially the damn DC plug types and different variations of those.

OIP.FpUyCIsQ_QaIXF0qbM-PwAHaHa

Now they’re $7.88 (plus tax) at Walmart.

Which wasn't my claim.

You already admitted they were around 2x more costly when first launched, and I know from experience that many aftermarket ones didn't fully work with Apple products.

The EU legislation means you'll be able to buy "in bulk" and every one of them will be 100% compatible with all of your devices. Which is a "win" for consumers.

Which wasn't my claim.

You already admitted they were around 2x more costly when first launched, and I know from experience that many aftermarket ones didn't fully work with Apple products.

The EU legislation means you'll be able to buy "in bulk" and every one of them will be 100% compatible with all of your devices. Which is a "win" for consumers.

And a "loss" for future innovation. No one will develop a better charger if it would be unlawful to sell it.

And a "loss" for future innovation. No one will develop a better charger if it would be unlawful to sell it.

Not really a big deal, when most devices are shifting to wireless charging anyway.

And having ALL of your electronics capable of charging off a single cable style is a massive consumer benefit. Big detriment to companies wanting to "sell more unique razor blades" that only work with their device, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT