ADVERTISEMENT

One Shining Moment, Quarantine Edition

The story behind this video:

COVID-19 took our NCAA Final Four; Watch one man’s ‘One Shining Moment 2020 - Quarantine Edition’

April 7, 2020
6:54 PM
By Mark Heim | mheim@al.com

Brandon Gaudin is college basketball’s biggest ambassador this week.

He just might not be much of a neighbor. We’ll get to that later.

Gaudin - like many college basketball fans - didn’t have the luxury of an NCAA tournament, March Madness, Final Four, and, of course, “One Shining Moment.”

So, he did what any hoops enthusiast - with time and opportunity - would do: He starred and produced in his own version of the yearly video tribute to the tournament. He then posted his work of hardwood art for starving college basketball fans to feast on.

A day and 50,000 views later, Gaudin - an Atlanta-based play-by-play announcer for Fox Sports 1, Big Ten Network and Westwood One - took some time with AL.com to look back on what was a frantic nine days that saw ups, downs, injuries (he almost popped an Achilles on his defensive stance) and more. It was as if his emotional rollercoaster mirrored that of an NCAA tournament team.

“I thought I would try with my iPhone to recreate ‘The One Shining Moment’ video,” Gaudin told AL.com in a phone interview on Tuesday. “Now, when the idea first came to me, I never anticipated that it would snowball into what I turned it into. In the next six hours, I had moved all the furniture into the corner. I had taped the floor. I spent too much money on Amazon Prime getting everything I wanted prop wise. Everything snowballed from there.”

Gaudin is a Butler graduate, so he owned a Butler shirt. The basketball shoes and shorts were his, too. So was the basketball goal, a toy from his youth he still owns as a reminder as to why he became a play-by-play announcer. He went to his work wardrobe for his coaching roles in the video. Everything else was Amazon Prime. Well, almost everything.

“The signature outfit of Bob Huggins and oversized shirt with the West Virginia logo I bought that and the arm sleeves at Dick’s,” Gaudin said. “I got curbside pickup. The lady said, ‘Can I ask what you are doing with these arm sleeves in this quarantine?’ I just said, ‘Ma’am, you don’t want to know what I am doing with these arm sleeves during the quarantine.’”

He then went to work on the video, shooting late into the night.

“The people below me I don’t know,” Gaudin said laughing about his neighbors. "I’m worried about them, and I’m worried about the guy right next to me. I have met him before, but I don’t know him well. There’s just no way he did not hear me when I was recording the audio and when I was doing some of those scenes. I mean there were some loud noises. There was a stack of books and a marble piece that fell off the 12-foot ladder and hit the floor. It sounded like it was an earthquake and that was at 2 in the morning shooting the Final Four scenes. No one said anything to me.

“Now, when I get an eviction notice in a week, things will start to make sense.”

Still, the reaction - sans his neighbors - has been overwhelmingly positive.

“To say the reaction has been much larger than expected would be an understatement,” Gaudin said. "I had to turn off my notifications because my phone kept going off. The response has been neat to see. I guess it is cliché to say, but I really mean it. The thing I didn’t expect that I thought was really neat was the people that I don’t know reaching out across the country, saying, ‘Thanks for giving us a distraction from what all is going on right now.’

“The fact that this video may have made someone smile or forget about the stress of the situation that made it all worth it.”

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

LINK: https://www.al.com/sports/2020/04/c...e-shining-moment-2020-quarantine-edition.html

Reactions: Chekster1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT