ADVERTISEMENT

One thing is certain, during Saturday’s game, we’ll be asking, did the offense work on ANYTHING over the bye week?!!!!??

curtisj57

All-Conference
Oct 21, 2008
Our o-line has been pushed around all year and this Saturday will be a train wreck. I’d hope we’d implement quick drops/throws because Petras will have zero time. But, I’m certain no changes or adjustments will be made. We’ll continue doing the same garbage that hasn’t worked all year. It will be the same slow drop, slow developing plays resulting in numerous sacks. I think OSU may set an OSU single game sack record this game which was 12 against MSU in 2005. Additionally, OSU hasn’t held an opponent to negative rushing yards in a game since 2012. That might fall as well, but most likely they’ll have their third stringers in the game by the third quarter allowing us to possibly get some garbage yards.
This game will be all kinds of ugly. 48-6.

I’m guessing OSU and Ryan Day smell blood in the water….look for them to take KO punches early and often.

I hope Kirk and Brian are working on some new, more straight ahead run blocking to just try to gouge out 3-4 yards per carry and to get to 3rd and short. Maybe slant blocking one direction with a pulling linemen or two the other way or just hat on hat. Iowa needs a poor tackling day by OSU just to get some first downs.

Hard to throw screen passes when the pass rush will get there quickly. But a lot of wide throws and screens to receivers may also act like decent run plays (but not the most successful plays done by Iowa).

Well, let's look back one year ago.

Iowa's bye week was before the game at Wisconsin. Iowa lost 27-7 to Wisconsin and had a whopping total offensive output of 156 yards and just 9 first downs. And this was after the offense had been struggling most of the year prior to that.

So if recent history is a judge, I'm guessing to not expect a lot of better results.

Just have to clean a few things up and execute better. Nothing big. Everyone needs to relax. Brian has got this all figured out.

spilling-spits.gif

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
You are quite the optimist. I don't see any way Iowa keeps it that close or how it scores 6 points. My guess, FWIW:

Ohio State - 66
Iowa - 0

It'll bring back memories of 1973 when the Buckeyes slipped by the Hawkeyes 55-13 a week before Iowa finished the season 0-11.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
The offense could get twice as good and I'd doubt that any of us would notice the improvement with OSU as the opponent,.. Best off to just sit back and enjoy this loss.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I hope Kirk and Brian are working on some new, more straight ahead run blocking to just try to gouge out 3-4 yards per carry and to get to 3rd and short. Maybe slant blocking one direction with a pulling linemen or two the other way or just hat on hat. Iowa needs a poor tackling day by OSU just to get some first downs.

Hard to throw screen passes when the pass rush will get there quickly. But a lot of wide throws and screens to receivers may also act like decent run plays (but not the most successful plays done by Iowa).
If Iowa Pulls a lineman, I will spit my beer out in shock.

I doubt we’ll see anything “new” per se, but I do hope that the game plan and attack looks more like what was called during the Nevada game vs others. By that I mean we sure looked to attack more, often downfield. I haven’t seen enough of OSU play to know if they have any weakness on defense (doubtful) but I do hope we attack vertically with Lachey and Laporta especially. I don’t think screens will be effective against an athletically superior team - they’ll make up ground to fast.

Reactions: Hammer93
One thing I’m looking for is this might be the first time we are able to dress all 6 receivers.

All other complaints aside, the WR corps has been absolutely snakebite by injuries this season.

Not excusing anything at all either, should have gotten some guys via the portal, it’s independent of everything else that’s broken on offense…but losing 5 guys to injury at any position is a killer.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
I doubt we’ll see anything “new” per se, but I do hope that the game plan and attack looks more like what was called during the Nevada game vs others. By that I mean we sure looked to attack more, often downfield. I haven’t seen enough of OSU play to know if they have any weakness on defense (doubtful) but I do hope we attack vertically with Lachey and Laporta especially. I don’t think screens will be effective against an athletically superior team - they’ll make up ground to fast.

Not coincidentally, only game we dressed 4 receivers all season.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
I would rather lose by more points to teams using a different qb just so I know Iowa tried everything to right the ship. Throwing petras out there every play is conceding we are who we are, "pathetic". How can a coaching staff be so comfortable with the sporting community making fun of their offense?

Our offensive coaches don't game plan-based on the opponent; they do the same old sh*t regardless. They figure if Alabama and the Brady-led Patriots can do it, then we should be able to. They don't understand the concept of "attacking a weakness." We just looked better against Nevada because they're such a sh*tty team, and we actually weren't all that good; most FCS offenses could look better.

Well, let's look back one year ago.

Iowa's bye week was before the game at Wisconsin. Iowa lost 27-7 to Wisconsin and had a whopping total offensive output of 156 yards and just 9 first downs. And this was after the offense had been struggling most of the year prior to that.

So if recent history is a judge, I'm guessing to not expect a lot of better results.
Frydaze is correct. And if you analyze KF’s history coming off the bye week it is not very impressive.

Reactions: frydaze
Our offensive coaches don't game plan-based on the opponent; they do the same old sh*t regardless. They figure if Alabama and the Brady-led Patriots can do it, then we should be able to. They don't understand the concept of "attacking a weakness." We just looked better against Nevada because they're such a sh*tty team, and we actually weren't all that good; most FCS offenses could look better.
Totally agree. Trying to find a way to stay optimistic about the likely pending slaughter. 🙂

Our o-line has been pushed around all year and this Saturday will be a train wreck. I’d hope we’d implement quick drops/throws because Petras will have zero time. But, I’m certain no changes or adjustments will be made. We’ll continue doing the same garbage that hasn’t worked all year. It will be the same slow drop, slow developing plays resulting in numerous sacks. I think OSU may set an OSU single game sack record this game which was 12 against MSU in 2005. Additionally, OSU hasn’t held an opponent to negative rushing yards in a game since 2012. That might fall as well, but most likely they’ll have their third stringers in the game by the third quarter allowing us to possibly get some garbage yards.
Wrong........ It's going to be 51-6.

• Haha
Reactions: TRHawkeye145
I know no one wants to admit it but I just don’t think the talent is there on offense right now. Some of these OL may develop as they get older but I only see one legitimate offensive starter at any other respectable P5 school.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I’m guessing OSU and Ryan Day smell blood in the water….look for them to take KO punches early and often.
If you go to some of the OSU sites like Eleven Warriors, Bucknuts, and Buckeye Huddle, a few of their fans are predicting a similar game that they had against Notre Dame - in other words being forced to pound the ball on the ground like they did in the 2nd half against ND when ND was dropping their safeties deep the whole game. By the end of the game - if you rewatch it on You Tube - the ND defense was exhausted. Many are expecting the same strategy from Iowa. But don't be fooled, OSU is every bit as good with their running attack as they are through the air. I'm seeing a lot of 28-7 ......31-10 type predictions from OSU fans meaning they won't cover the spread

And for those of you predicting OSU to pile it on, it's not going to happen as they've had key injuries to their bigtime offensive (Smith-Njigba, Henderson and Miyan Williams) and also many DBs and they're not going to risk reinjuring them - by keeping them in too long - with key East Division matchups with MSU, PSU, and Michigan coming up.

Last edited:
Reactions: preshlock
I know no one wants to admit it but I just don’t think the talent is there on offense right now. Some of these OL may develop as they get older but I only see one legitimate offensive starter at any other respectable P5 school.

Oh, I think you will get a lot of people to admit there is a lack of talent at 80% of the positions on offense. I think Kaleb J and Laporta look ok, but that is about it.

27-7, 27-10 type of game. Kirk will slow it down with the run game, milk the clock and not let it get out of hand. Everyone will be happy.

Reactions: preshlock
We are experiencing an perfect storm on the offensive side of the ball (pun intended).

QB: Big Arm and flat out nothing else, has long hit his ceiling. Both of the backups have more wiggle, not even debatable, and lesser arms. This would provide the biggest change to our offense, just the possibility of a few more pocket escapes and maybe a little more passing rhythm. Wont happen of course.

O Line: This is tough given there are 5+ pieces to the puzzle and none seem to be stellar. If we can make minor improvements each week, maybe by tail end of year the unit as a whole could be approaching average. At this point, just have to squeeze what we can via better technique and finding right assortment.

WR: Is there anybody that can step up? We just dont have any Power 5 #1 or #2 WR's except possibly K. Johnson, who seems to be done. Brecht? Vines? At this point, Ragaini and Bruce need to play lights out rest of season for this unit to be better than horrible.

Scheme: Obviously this will not change, but why not put BOTH Kaleb and Leshon in backfield together, they are 2 of our best players. Why not? Our two TE's might be all we have to lean on against tOSU. But they know that so what else can we do?

27-7, 27-10 type of game. Kirk will slow it down with the run game, milk the clock and not let it get out of hand. Everyone will be happy.
To slow the game down you need 1st downs on offense. Hard to get this year.

If you go to some of the OSU sites like Eleven Warriors, Bucknuts, and Buckeye Huddle, a few of their fans are predicting a similar game that they had against Notre Dame - in other words being forced to pound the ball on the ground like they did in the 2nd half against ND when ND was dropping their safeties deep the whole game. By the end of the game - if you rewatch it on You Tube - the ND defense was exhausted. Many are expecting the same strategy from Iowa. But don't be fooled, OSU is every bit as good with their running attack as they are through the air. I'm seeing a lot of 28-7 ......31-10 type predictions from OSU fans meaning they won't cover the spread

And for those of you predicting OSU to pile it on, it's not going to happen as they've had key injuries to their bigtime offensive (Smith-Njigba, Henderson and Miyan Williams) and also many DBs and they're not going to risk reinjuring them - by keeping them in too long - with key East Division matchups with MSU, PSU, and Michigan coming up.

a major difference between this year and past ones under Day is running down the clock. So far tOSU has been bleeding the clock far more than in past years. If Iowa can limit huge plays I could see the Hawkeyes holding the Buckeyes to about 24-31 points.

Your offense is so abysmal that it might mean a shutout. So far about half of the points tOSU defense has allowed has been with the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th string players on the field. But your defense is good enough that it might force Day to keep the starters in for the whole game which hasn't happened since Notre Dame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT