ADVERTISEMENT

One thing that could really help Iowa Hoops,

IowaNiceHawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
May 2, 2016
St Donatus, IA
Is if all the players work as hard as Luka Garza.

His work ethic and determination are very impressive.

There is a very nice article on another site, describing what
Luka is doing this off season. (Not sure if LINK allowed, since prolly a
Competitor site?)

Luka Garza, is fast becoming one of my favorite
Hawkeyes in recent memory. This program would be hurting without
Luka. I believe he is under-appreciated by many fans and journo dorks, too.

GO HAWKS! :)

Last edited:
And Luka has to outwork people. He’s not going to cross someone over and throw down Thunder.

I’m impressed by his game. Now he just needs to channel his inner Woodbury and play better on D

And guess what? That's what the article says he is working on.......
Luka seemed to outplay almost everyone he was matched-up against
last season.

After the 17-18 disaster, the whole team came together and focused on getting better. What happens to that team unity after losing Baer, Cook, Dailey and Moss, with Bohannon out indefinitely? How will Evelyn, Toussaint and Patrick fit into the mix? My hope is they maintain that us-against-the-world mentality and work hard together all summer. This will be a tough, tough season. Hope the team is up to it. Wieskamp and Garza must lead by example.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
I'm in the JBo will be back by the start of the B1G schedule camp. Even with him back we will need some young and untested players step up and play some vital minutes. Could end up being a long painful season or we just might be a big surprise. I am leaning toward us being better than some think we will. It is going to be interesting.

How could an Iowa fan not love Luka? Works his butt off every minute of the game. He's already improved significantly and there is no reason he should not continue to improve. I'm thinking he produces around 16/7.5 for the season.

Good news on Nunge. That's probably a shot in the dark, like picking a 15 to beat a 2, but good to hear nonetheless. Wasn't that impressive as a freshman but playing out of position quite a bit too. J & L could be a very large and very impressive pair inside-since both can hit outside as well.

Last edited:
Fran likes Triple Towers more than some Hawk Fans! Nunge/Garza/P-Mac.

Yeah, I don't see Patrick playing with his back to the basket much, as
Luka does very well and maybe Jack will too. Patrick will be more of a
taller version of Joe W.

This could be one of Iowa's most talented teams, BB wise, coming up.

Reactions: easy2
And Luka has to outwork people. He’s not going to cross someone over and throw down Thunder.

I’m impressed by his game. Now he just needs to channel his inner Woodbury and play better on D

Unfortunately I think he doesn't have a lot of improvement in him defensively as he just doesn't have the lateral movement that Woody had not to mention the defensive instincts. Hell of an offensive player with old style moves so certainly a better player than Woody IMO but Adam was great at both play positional defensive and calling out the rotations from the backside.

Unfortunately I think he doesn't have a lot of improvement in him defensively as he just doesn't have the lateral movement that Woody had not to mention the defensive instincts. Hell of an offensive player with old style moves so certainly a better player than Woody IMO but Adam was great at both play positional defensive and calling out the rotations from the backside.

The point of this thread was to encourage the players around
Luka to get better, by putting in the work and effort Luka does. He's doing just fine.........not going to be Dikembe Mutombo, but his Offensive skills are 10 times better than mutombo;
Go Hawks !!

The point of this thread was to encourage the players around
Luka to get better, by putting in the work and effort Luka does.
He's doing just fine.........not going to be Dikembe Mutombo, but his Offensive skills are 10 times better than mutombo;
Go Hawks !!

So you are under the impression that members of the team are going to read your post and realize they need to work harder at the game of basketball?

We could have a very LONG 3-2 zone on defense with Jack and Luka down low, Patrick at the 3, Joe at the 2 and any of the point guards out top.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Simply pointing out, for some who seem oblivious that
Luka works very hard at his craft.

Have a nice day..............:eek:
In my experience, for most players (maybe not Legend?), when a teammate works his butt off it is contagious. A likeable guy like Luka absolutely makes everyone play harder.

Adam W was a great defensive center. Not the great shot blocker as were Acie and even the PNG Erek Hansen but a better position defender. Much more physical than Acie (although anyone that caught one of Acie's elbows might disagree) and certainly than Erek.

Watch the video of Adam and you'll be reminded that also called defensive instructions and direction to the other guys, like an inside LB. Adam had some offensive limitations, obviously, but was a great defensive player. Also tougher than hell. Also the most important Iowa recruit since Ronnie Lester-he picked Iowa over KU and NC coming off a ten win season.

Sometimes the fish get bigger over time. Woody was a great Hawk and a huge impact player for the whole program. Woody's fish is still the same size ...XXXXL.

Compared to what? Fran's prior Iowa teams? Of all time?

Keep the posts coming fast and furious brother. I just love to replay that great McHale hit on the untalented thug Rambis. Its right up there with Larry Legend punching Isaiah square in the nose, Parish punching Laimbeer, Chuck Barkley punching Laimbeer; actually really anyone punching Laimbeer.

The Lakers were, are and always will be whingers and whiners. George Mikan is still pissing about a Syracuse foul in Game 7 of the 1954 finals...and he's been dead for 15 years.

Adam W was a great defensive center. Not the great shot blocker as were Acie and even the PNG Erek Hansen but a better position defender. Much more physical than Acie (although anyone that caught one of Acie's elbows might disagree) and certainly than Erek.

Watch the video of Adam and you'll be reminded that also called defensive instructions and direction to the other guys, like an inside LB. Adam had some offensive limitations, obviously, but was a great defensive player. Also tougher than hell. Also the most important Iowa recruit since Ronnie Lester-he picked Iowa over KU and NC coming off a ten win season.

Sometimes the fish get bigger over time. Woody was a great Hawk and a huge impact player for the whole program. Woody's fish is still the same size ...XXXXL.
LOL

In my experience, for most players (maybe not Legend?), when a teammate works his butt off it is contagious. A likeable guy like Luka absolutely makes everyone play harder.

You are inferring that without Luka the players wouldn’t be working as hard...that’s a pretty big insult to the rest of the team.

You are inferring that without Luka the players wouldn’t be working as hard...that’s a pretty big insult to the rest of the team.
Why?

You don’t think leadership and good conduct are contagious to young men? I think that is naive.

Competitor site?)

None of us know who is or is not working as hard as Garza. My impression from the outside that whatever issues Iowa has had, putting in the time isn't a problem. Guys aren't out of shape. Garza is liked a lot by fans as he appears to be "trying hard." And he does. He's not afraid of failure and he will compete. That is what fans appreciate. I'm interested to see where this team can go. They will need the big guys collectively to be very good.

The "SHOOSH" after his dunk will be remembered as his trademark moment! Then when he did a two-handed put-back slam, all memories of him getting stuffed by the rim faded away. Oh yeah, and the Moe Howard two-fingered eye pokes....

Woody was a true-blood Hawk!

Reactions: kceasthawk

Competitor site?)

That and the waterboy hitting 15 three's a game.

Competitor site?)

Could average 20 / 10 this year if he doesn't pick up stupid fouls!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT