ADVERTISEMENT

One year ago today, America lost a living legend...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
The memories are everywhere in the house.

A framed photo, a special book, a favorite recliner, a plaque. All these items — and many more — are full of meaning and emotion to Ann Bowden.

The grief doesn't magically end.

"All of it reflects Bobby. We were together so long, he was the center of my life, the center of our family and our home," Ann said. "I am constantly reminded of him because it's all around me. I haven't gotten used to it.

"I don't know if I ever will."

Bobby Bowden — the patriarch of one of the sport's most famous coaching families and the legendary Florida State football coach — died a year ago Monday (Aug. 8).

Bowden, 91, was surrounded by family — wife Ann and their six children — when he passed away peacefully at 5:08 a.m. at his Killearn Estates home from pancreatic cancer.

Remembering FSU's Bobby Bowden:Tribute collection of stories, photos and memories

'He was her life'
Ann, who will turn 90 next month, has remained in the two-story house on Killearn Golf Course that Bowden purchased in 1976 when he was hired at FSU.

Football was the game — behind faith and family — and Bobby ranks among the best ever.

He won 316 games and two national titles (1993 and 1999) in 34 years with the Seminoles before being forced to retire following the 2009 season.

Ann stood faithfully by his side for seven-plus decades, and she's missing the love of her life.

The two Alabama natives were married in 1949 by a justice of the peace, raised four sons, two daughters, embraced and enjoyed grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Bowden led a one-of-a-kind life and career.

"He was her life, so it's easy to understand why she misses him," said Sue Hall, a longtime family friend and former administrative assistant for Bowden. "We all miss him. Ann is getting along OK. She's a trooper, for sure."

The matriarch is still strong and affable.

In regular conversations with the Tallahassee Democrat, Ann speaks her mind, laughs when reminiscing and is protective of her family. She ran the house and handled the planning when Bowden was on the sidelines. Ann also keeps tabs from afar on the Seminoles, wishing coach Mike Norvell and the program good luck.

When sadness surfaces, a support system of family, friends and caregivers offer assistance to help ease the heartache of Bowden's passing.

"I think she’s doing really well and life is moving forward," said daughter Robyn Hines, who travels regularly from her Panama City home to Tallahassee to be with her mother.

"You look at a picture and a (memory) comes back. ... She has to get used to daddy not being there. We were used to him being gone coaching.

"The only difference now is he doesn't come back."

Ann admits she's lonesome but tries to stay involved.

She has aches and pains physically but remains engaged and in good spirits. She gets her hair done weekly. She has made a few short trips with family and friends. She has shared stories and hugs with other women who have lost their husbands.

Time doesn't stop for the living.

Ann has made it through her first holidays without Bobby, their wedding anniversary, and his 92nd birthday last November. She has relied on her faith and appreciates everyone's thoughts and prayers.

Every day represents a step forward.

"You learn to adjust and try to get through it the best you can," Ann said. "Others have gone through it. I met Bobby when we were so young. We lived in the same neighborhood, went to the same high school, my life has always been with him.

"It has been hard to make that adjustment."

Bowden, of course, built one of the greatest dynasties in college football history.

Mickey Andrews, the architect of FSU's defense under Bowden, lives a mile away from the Bowden home on Shamrock Street.

He says he probably saw Bowden nearly every day over the 26 years he served as his defensive coordinator. Andrews has often talked about Bowden's coaching approach and how he "genuinely cared for people."

Andrews described it as an honest, competitive style with homespun charm.

In this day and era, however, it seems like the coaching cycle has never spun so fast.

"Coach Bowden loved the football part of it, watching tape, coming up with a play, the relationships he built through the years," Andrews said.

"Coaching is so different now. It would be a whole different challenge than it used to be in figuring out what you have to do to get better. There are so many demands in so many areas beyond teaching the fundamentals and discipline needed to win a football game."

Former Seminole receiver (1983-87) Herb Gainer passes Bowden's home to and from work nearly every day as a sales consultant at Peter Boulware Toyota.

"It doesn't seem like he has been gone for a year," said Gainer, 56, whose son Amari is a redshirt junior linebacker for Norvell's Seminoles. "His presence seems like he's always there. I pass by and, to me, it feels like he's still sitting inside.

"I live it every day."

The Bowdens and their extended families are traveling from parts of the Panhandle, Alabama and elsewhere to Tallahassee to celebrate Ann's 90th birthday over the Labor Day weekend.

They will also cheer on Terry Bowden, 66, who continues to follow in his father's footsteps in coaching. Bowden's heading into his second year at the University of Louisiana-Monroe, which opens the season at Texas Sept. 3.

"We are looking forward to it, all of us together, a nice family affair and a good time to reminisce," Robyn Hines said.

All six Bowden children — Steve, Tommy, Terry, Jeff, Ginger and Robyn — have spent time with their mother. They've also had to adjust to life without their father. Robyn says she has dealt with it by "letting go slowly, little bits at a time. It does make it easier. There are moments of sadness and tears. It's a gradual realization he's in another place."

Reactions: ZachJump
The memories are everywhere in the house.

A framed photo, a special book, a favorite recliner, a plaque. All these items — and many more — are full of meaning and emotion to Ann Bowden.

The grief doesn't magically end.

"All of it reflects Bobby. We were together so long, he was the center of my life, the center of our family and our home," Ann said. "I am constantly reminded of him because it's all around me. I haven't gotten used to it.

"I don't know if I ever will."

Bobby Bowden — the patriarch of one of the sport's most famous coaching families and the legendary Florida State football coach — died a year ago Monday (Aug. 8).

Bowden, 91, was surrounded by family — wife Ann and their six children — when he passed away peacefully at 5:08 a.m. at his Killearn Estates home from pancreatic cancer.

Remembering FSU's Bobby Bowden:Tribute collection of stories, photos and memories

'He was her life'
Ann, who will turn 90 next month, has remained in the two-story house on Killearn Golf Course that Bowden purchased in 1976 when he was hired at FSU.

Football was the game — behind faith and family — and Bobby ranks among the best ever.

He won 316 games and two national titles (1993 and 1999) in 34 years with the Seminoles before being forced to retire following the 2009 season.

Ann stood faithfully by his side for seven-plus decades, and she's missing the love of her life.

The two Alabama natives were married in 1949 by a justice of the peace, raised four sons, two daughters, embraced and enjoyed grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Bowden led a one-of-a-kind life and career.

"He was her life, so it's easy to understand why she misses him," said Sue Hall, a longtime family friend and former administrative assistant for Bowden. "We all miss him. Ann is getting along OK. She's a trooper, for sure."

The matriarch is still strong and affable.

In regular conversations with the Tallahassee Democrat, Ann speaks her mind, laughs when reminiscing and is protective of her family. She ran the house and handled the planning when Bowden was on the sidelines. Ann also keeps tabs from afar on the Seminoles, wishing coach Mike Norvell and the program good luck.

When sadness surfaces, a support system of family, friends and caregivers offer assistance to help ease the heartache of Bowden's passing.

"I think she’s doing really well and life is moving forward," said daughter Robyn Hines, who travels regularly from her Panama City home to Tallahassee to be with her mother.

"You look at a picture and a (memory) comes back. ... She has to get used to daddy not being there. We were used to him being gone coaching.

"The only difference now is he doesn't come back."

Ann admits she's lonesome but tries to stay involved.

She has aches and pains physically but remains engaged and in good spirits. She gets her hair done weekly. She has made a few short trips with family and friends. She has shared stories and hugs with other women who have lost their husbands.

Time doesn't stop for the living.

Ann has made it through her first holidays without Bobby, their wedding anniversary, and his 92nd birthday last November. She has relied on her faith and appreciates everyone's thoughts and prayers.

Every day represents a step forward.

"You learn to adjust and try to get through it the best you can," Ann said. "Others have gone through it. I met Bobby when we were so young. We lived in the same neighborhood, went to the same high school, my life has always been with him.

"It has been hard to make that adjustment."

Bowden, of course, built one of the greatest dynasties in college football history.

Mickey Andrews, the architect of FSU's defense under Bowden, lives a mile away from the Bowden home on Shamrock Street.

He says he probably saw Bowden nearly every day over the 26 years he served as his defensive coordinator. Andrews has often talked about Bowden's coaching approach and how he "genuinely cared for people."

Andrews described it as an honest, competitive style with homespun charm.

In this day and era, however, it seems like the coaching cycle has never spun so fast.

"Coach Bowden loved the football part of it, watching tape, coming up with a play, the relationships he built through the years," Andrews said.

"Coaching is so different now. It would be a whole different challenge than it used to be in figuring out what you have to do to get better. There are so many demands in so many areas beyond teaching the fundamentals and discipline needed to win a football game."

Former Seminole receiver (1983-87) Herb Gainer passes Bowden's home to and from work nearly every day as a sales consultant at Peter Boulware Toyota.

"It doesn't seem like he has been gone for a year," said Gainer, 56, whose son Amari is a redshirt junior linebacker for Norvell's Seminoles. "His presence seems like he's always there. I pass by and, to me, it feels like he's still sitting inside.

"I live it every day."

The Bowdens and their extended families are traveling from parts of the Panhandle, Alabama and elsewhere to Tallahassee to celebrate Ann's 90th birthday over the Labor Day weekend.

They will also cheer on Terry Bowden, 66, who continues to follow in his father's footsteps in coaching. Bowden's heading into his second year at the University of Louisiana-Monroe, which opens the season at Texas Sept. 3.

"We are looking forward to it, all of us together, a nice family affair and a good time to reminisce," Robyn Hines said.

All six Bowden children — Steve, Tommy, Terry, Jeff, Ginger and Robyn — have spent time with their mother. They've also had to adjust to life without their father. Robyn says she has dealt with it by "letting go slowly, little bits at a time. It does make it easier. There are moments of sadness and tears. It's a gradual realization he's in another place."

Wow. None of the Noles around here bumped this post? A pepsi?

ADVERTISEMENT