ADVERTISEMENT

Online Car Buying

I spend too much time in dealerships to buy cars at one.

My buddy bought an SUV off carvana. Seems like it all went really smoothly.

I thought about getting a car through carvana, but I had a real hard time getting an answer about their warranty. I tried to find out if I could take the car to a dealership for covered repairs and never could get a straight answer if I could, or if I had to use repair shops they selected. Decided to go a different direction.

Reactions: Gonolz and Moral
I'll find them on Auto Trader and do some dealing on the phone. Bought my Ram in Indianola Iowa over the phone and picked it up a week later. Worked out fine but that was a new one. Most give a very accurate description.

I'll find them on Auto Trader and do some dealing on the phone. Bought my Ram in Indianola Iowa over the phone and picked it up a week later. Worked out fine but that was a new one. Most give a very accurate description.

I know what I’ve got. No lowballers.

• Haha
Reactions: Gimmered
Used Carmax the last time I purchased a car (I've only bought used cars).
Found exactly what I was looking for and had it shipped to Tallahassee.
Zero problems.
Would use again.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
I got a quote from carvana to buy my car, brought it to the dealer and they matched the quote. Caravan is pretty aggressive on buying cars. Couldn’t find what I was looking for to buy from them and things seemed to sell quick.

I've bought two cars from Carvana, most recently this past week. This has been my experience:

You'll pay a little more than Carmax or maybe a dealer, but you're paying for quality. Carvana has ridiculously high standards for the cars they sell. Both cars we bought had nearly flawless interiors and exteriors and still had the new car smell. To me this is important if you're committing to buy before test driving.

Because it's a national network, you have a pretty big selection to choose from. Good deals and rare finds go quickly, so you don't have a lot of time to sit on a decision. You can save searches/set up alerts based on make/model, year, mileage, price, etc.

The buying experience is quick and easy. It's more like an Apple store than a car dealership. There are no salespeople. We showed up at 6:30 PM on Wednesday and rolled out with our new car by 7 PM.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
The last few new cars I bought I negotiated the price via email before I walked into dealership. I used autotrader to find lowest price in country and asked local dealers to match it.

There are no salespeople. We showed up at 6:30 PM on Wednesday and rolled out with our new car by 7 PM.
Do you just show up and punch in a pin and the car comes down? I've wondered about this.

Do you just show up and punch in a pin and the car comes down? I've wondered about this.
They give you a massive coin and you drop it in a slot, just like a real vending machine.

Of course, it's totally a gimmick. There's a live associate to walk you through the papers to be signed.

Reactions: NoleATL
Has anyone bought a car online, such as Vroom or Carvana. What was your experience?

Due to a recommendation on here we bought a used 2020 vehicle from hertz last summer. It was basically shopping online.

Last edited:
I would recommend Carvana. We bought a used suv a couple years ago and had no issues at all. They even give you 7 days to try it out and return it if you don’t like it. Why go to a dealer if you can buy a car from your couch?

Reactions: NoleATL
It seems the downside of not going to a dealer is you wouldnt get the supplemental warrant from the certified cars

I’ve bought new online...but via negotiation over the phone / email with multiple dealers and not carvana or something like that. It went extremely well and I didn’t have any problems with it. Told the winner that I wanted to walk in and pay them what we agreed, no BS trying to sell me other crap, and I wanted out of the dealership in under an hour so have everything ready. Was in and out in about 35 minutes.

Wouldn’t do that with a used car.

No

I like to see the actual vehicle in person before I buy it. I also like discussing the final price for a few hours. I always hope they offer me a can of soda too prior to negotiations.

Bought two Tesla’s online in about 5 minutes. So much better than a dealership.

Bought two Tesla’s online in about 5 minutes. So much better than a dealership.

From Tesla, or another source?
I'd seen for years complaints about buying from Tesla (mostly delays and trouble getting exactly what they wanted), but I wondered if they'd finally gotten most of that demand met and things were running more smoothly in that department now.

Yes from a dealership in another state. Car got to me just fine. Titling kind of sucked but it got done eventually :)

From Tesla, or another source?
I'd seen for years complaints about buying from Tesla (mostly delays and trouble getting exactly what they wanted), but I wondered if they'd finally gotten most of that demand met and things were running more smoothly in that department now.
Yes from Tesla directly. Both were extremely smooth but I have heard stories as well. It does seem to be getting better for the masses based on what I read.

Bought my last one from a dealer off of the cars.com app. I was getting pretty obsessed shopping for the one I wanted and had to call to double check when they dropped the price. I "bought" it on a Thursday and they drive it to me in DSM area from Omaha on Friday.
On a side note I found what I want to do when I retire. They guys that brought it to me drive cars all over the country to deliver them and then fly home. Flying and driving, two of my favorite things.

Carvana is like what someone described. Probably overpriced but their cars show up on the cars.com app and they always seemed to be pretty nice. Not sure if they negotiate at all.

Reactions: Gimmered
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT