ADVERTISEMENT

Online schooling - machine specs per your local school board

funksouljon

HR Heisman
Jan 26, 2004
STL area
We have two that are still in elementary and it is looking more and more like they will do a remote only for at least some of the year but no official word even though school starts August 24.

Based on that, we will be getting new laptops for the kids. Locally, they haven't released what specs the machines need, but I am looking at getting ahead of the buying so can ensure we don't have to pay $1k per kid for the leftover high dollar machines.

Anyone out there have recommended specs from your local school boards for hardware? I am thinking that it would need to be at least 250 GB hard drive and 4 GB RAM or higher.

We have two that are still in elementary and it is looking more and more like they will do a remote only for at least some of the year but no official word even though school starts August 24.

Based on that, we will be getting new laptops for the kids. Locally, they haven't released what specs the machines need, but I am looking at getting ahead of the buying so can ensure we don't have to pay $1k per kid for the leftover high dollar machines.

Anyone out there have recommended specs from your local school boards for hardware? I am thinking that it would need to be at least 250 GB hard drive and 4 GB RAM or higher.

I don't remember how big the HD was on the computer we got for Connection's Academy but we made sure to get at least 4 GB of RAM. So far so good. The kids just started online school yesterday.

I should note that the online school we are doing is a public school for the state that is just online. It's not through a geographical school corp.

My son apparently got the required specs in an email. It’s nuts that our school district requires a GeForce RTX 2080 or higher, but if it’s for school...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sooner-Be-Dead
My son apparently got the required specs in an email. It’s nuts that our school district requires GeForce RTX 2080 or higher, but if it’s for school...
Well played, son... well played

when you want a dog, you ask for the biggest dog and let the negotiations begin.

Last edited:
I should note that the online school we are doing is a public school for the state that is just online. It's not through a geographical school corp.

Connections Academy is a for profit corporation exploiting the lax charter school regulations in Indiana and masquerading as a public school.

Congratulations on participating in the misappropriation of public tax dollars to private corporations.

Connections Academy is a for profit corporation exploiting the lax charter school regulations in Indiana and masquerading as a public school.

Congratulations on participating in the misappropriation of public tax dollars to private corporations.

Meh better than sending my kids to get infected with COVID.

@Hoosierhawkeye , we have that option as well, but would think that the district specific and the general schooling wouldn't be THAT different.

@mnole03 , this is for 1st and 3rd, thats way more HP than they need!

The district they were enrolled in has no clue what they are doing. They still don't. They delayed the start of school because they have no idea what they are going to do. It's a mess.

They might offer an online option but they couldn't tell us they would and they pretty much said that if some Republican threatened them in any way they were going to cave 100%. So we enrolled so as to make sure they were going online and online only.

You've never been shy about suckling off the Indiana taxpayer.

And you've never been shy about being critical of how I raise 2 children with disabilities and another who so far doesn't display any.

So no I'm not shy about looking out for the best needs of my children no. Tax payer would have been paying for them in public school anyways. At least this way they are less likely to get COVID.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT