ADVERTISEMENT

Only 1 ranked Big 10 team?

I think this just speaks to how mediocre men's college basketball has become. There was a time, and not too long ago, that the top 10 in the country was full of talent. Not any more. Purdue may shortly be ranked at the top and they've had 5 one possession wins in the B10. Hardly a stat of dominance in a down year for the conference.

I can attest. The Big Ten is one of the stinkiest turds in a vast sewer known as college basketball. College basketball has become unwatchable.

I think there are teams that are unwatchable, but there are also some teams that are really fun to watch.

Just my opinion but I like college men's basketball a LOT better than the NBA, NCAAW or the WNBA

Just out of curiosity, what level of basketball do you enjoy watching?

I think there are teams that are unwatchable, but there are also some teams that are really fun to watch.

Just my opinion but I like college men's basketball a LOT better than the NBA, NCAAW or the WNBA

I enjoy the NBA but admittedly I think they've swung a little to far to officiating for the offense. If they clean up a couple elements like moving screens, it would be about perfect. A true game of skill and athleticism. And yes, the effort can be lacking at times in the regular season. I still like it better than the try-hard college hackfest daring the officials to call everything, and of course they don't.

Don't think I have ever seen this, but only 1 team is ranked in the Big 10. Big 12 has 6, the worst being Baylor at # 17.
Just a bunch of mediocre teams beating up on each other. Hard to get road wins as a mediocre team. Plus no cupcakes (like the ISU game in December. just kidding, kind of) in Big Ten conference play.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
How bad did we end up beating Iowa State?

Too lazy to look it up.

We were up by like 30 or 40 points at one time right?

Last edited:
3rd best conference is way down?

No national title since 2000 and the last 3 years have been especially poor.

March used to be a banner month for the Big Ten. In the first two decades of this century, no league was better at maximizing its opportunities in the men’s NCAA Tournament. From 2000 to 2019, the Big Ten reached 16 Final Fours, most of any conference, and 48 Sweet 16s, two shy of the ACC’s 50 — despite the fact that the ACC earned 37 top-two seeds and the Big Ten totaled only 21. In the last year of that span, Michigan State crashed the Final Four in vintage Big Ten fashion: Coach Tom Izzo took issue with his team’s draw from the selection committee, and then the Spartans made the final weekend by upsetting a top-seeded Duke squad with three future top-10 NBA draft picks.

B10 bball is kind of like b12 fb this year, only one good team and even they are nothing special. Hopefully Fran can take advantage and finish 500 at least with his unimpressive roster

Purdue is a very good basketball program but they are not great. They have a single elite 8 in the last 20 years but have made the tournament almost every year, rarely out-performing their seed. It will not be a good look if Purdue storms through the B10 for a 1 seed but can't get past the Sweet 16. The Big 12 remains the best CBB conference but the SEC looks to be a close 2nd this year. The ACC has really fallen off, although they typically do well in March.

March used to be a banner month for the Big Ten. In the first two decades of this century, no league was better at maximizing its opportunities in the men’s NCAA Tournament. From 2000 to 2019, the Big Ten reached 16 Final Fours, most of any conference, and 48 Sweet 16s, two shy of the ACC’s 50 — despite the fact that the ACC earned 37 top-two seeds and the Big Ten totaled only 21. In the last year of that span, Michigan State crashed the Final Four in vintage Big Ten fashion: Coach Tom Izzo took issue with his team’s draw from the selection committee, and then the Spartans made the final weekend by upsetting a top-seeded Duke squad with three future top-10 NBA draft picks.
Kinda funny hearing b12 fans thump their chest after the last 2 nattys when the b12 went so long without anyone doing much besides Kansas. I wanna say OkIe St was the last non KU final 4 in the mid 00's before Baylor. And Kansas cheated like crazy. They do look like a really good bball conference going forward though

Big 12 is good again this year, pains me to say it. K State has proven how quickly you can assemble a roster, KU, TCU. If Beard hadn’t been fired at Texas they were a definite final 4 candidate. B1G is almost impossible to watch this year. Not a lot of NBA guys, just not great basketball.

Ok? Still the third best conference this year by the metrics.

And the ranked B1G team really isn't even that good. The league has a few good teams and zero great ones. Just the way it is.
Purdue is a very good team, who I expect will go always in the NCAA Tourney.

I tend to agree with you, but with Caitlin Clark, the Iowa women’s team is fun to watch.

Reactions: WSC72
Yes. Like last year, we are overrated. Wait for the NCAAs.
Yup, every year it’s like this. The big heads say how tough the big ten is then the conference falls apart in March.

To me it is all about how the conference refs the game. It’s a disadvantage to everyone when it comes March Madness time.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
For several seasons in a row the Big Ten was considered the top 1 or 2 conference in the regular season, only to crap out mostly in the tournament. Only 2 Final Four appearances in the 24 available spots in the last 7 years(1 cancelled COVID season )

I'm wondering if this year will be a bit different. I could see a much maligned conference having a couple of teams get hot at the right time and push to the Elite Eight or Final Four. I respect the heck out of Purdue basketball, but I totally expect them to crap out in the sweet sixteen this year though.

Reactions: Herklejerk
Ok? Still the third best conference this year by the metrics.
Our problem is we have a bunch of bubble teams, no really bad teams besides Minnesota (maybe Nebraska, but we lost to them so it hurts to say). Comparing the Big East, they have 4 ranked teams, and some other bubble teams, so a bit more top heavy with some bad teams at the bottom. Which conference is better, not really sure I could lean towards the Big Ten. ACC and PAC 12 look the same as well. I'm all for metrics, but it's splitting hairs between these 4 conferences, with the Big 12 and SEC clearly better.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Don't think I have ever seen this, but only 1 team is ranked in the Big 10. Big 12 has 6, the worst being Baylor at # 17.
You mean the clowns lost to an unranked team from the Big Ten by around 20?

Now do women’s basketball or must we ignore the massive difference between the Big Ten and Texas Ten?

Naw it is probably time for clown fan to run away and hide. Just as they always do when confronted with reality.

YIKES

How bad did we end up beating Iowa State?

Too lazy to look it up.

We were by like 30 or 40 points at one time right?
Yeah, I think that historical game against Eastern Illinois removes any bragging rights, and expectations. You obviously see the depths that teams can go when they play their absolute worst games. You witnessed that for both schools and Iowa’s depth is fathoms lower. ISU’s loss was a Quad 1 loss. What was Iowa’s?

Yeah, I think that historical game against Eastern Illinois removes any bragging rights, and expectations. You obviously see the depths that teams can go when they play their absolute worst games. You witnessed that for both schools and Iowa’s depth is fathoms lower. ISU’s loss was a Quad 1 loss. What was Iowa’s?
This is awesome. Clown fan gloating about what Eastern Illinois could do but the so called mighty clowns couldn’t. So wat is the official excuse? Refs, intimidated by Carver, couldn’t get up for the biggest rival or just not as awesome as clown fans think they are?

We want more. We want more. We want more.

Since another clown fan has graced us with their presence, I have been meaning to ask, how pissed off are you that the Hawkeye Women’s team plays more games on national networks than the so called mighty isu men’s team?

ESPN+ the official network of isu basketball.

Bbbbwwwwwaaaaahahahahhaha

I enjoy the NBA but admittedly I think they've swung a little to far to officiating for the offense. If they clean up a couple elements like moving screens, it would be about perfect. A true game of skill and athleticism. And yes, the effort can be lacking at times in the regular season. I still like it better than the try-hard college hackfest daring the officials to call everything, and of course they don't.
The problem I have with the NBA is that at some point in recent history, scoring stopped feeling earned (CBB will never have that problem).

How you want to interpret that or disagree with that is up to whoever wants to respond, but facts are facts and it's probably best to just deal with it and abandon watching the NBA until the postseason like with most other professional sports anymore........................ :)

The Big 10 will have a tough time in the NCAA tournament due to the seeds involved. I suspect it will be a tough row to hoe for almost all but Purdue. I'm sure another BIG team will get hot and earn a decent seed.

The Big 10 will have a tough time in the NCAA tournament due to the seeds involved. I suspect it will be a tough row to hoe for almost all but Purdue. I'm sure another BIG team will get hot and earn a decent seed.
Purdue is overrated as well.

I can see them be a Sweet 16 team at best.

They're not any better than they were last year and that team lost to St. Peter's.............

Purdue is overrated as well.

I can see them be a Sweet 16 team at best.

They're not any better than they were last year and that team lost to St. Peter's.............
Yep. Purdue has an excellent program, but they seem unable to get past the Sweet 16, except in 2019. Prove me wrong, Boilers.

The Big Ten will be lucky to get more than one team out of the first weekend, IMO. I'm not sure I've ever seen the conference as mediocre as it is this year.

Holy cow, take a break from the same regurgitated ISU weirdness. Iowa beat the ever living hell out of ISU, it wasn't a fluke or close game in any way shape or form. Missing Kris and Connor for that game against E Ill clearly had an effect on the outcome as pathetic as it was, but it doesn't erase Iowa beating you down, nor does it somehow erase bragging rights. Iowa also has victories over Clemson, Seton Hall, Indiana, Michigan, Maryland, and Rutgers. Take the L and appreciate it that you have recovered in the Big 12 after.

Yep. Purdue has an excellent program, but they seem unable to get past the Sweet 16, except in 2019. Prove me wrong, Boilers.

The Big Ten will be lucky to get more than one team out of the first weekend, IMO. I'm not sure I've ever seen the conference as mediocre as it is this year.
Purdue is known for their big men, which unfortunately does not work well in the tournament (we know all about this). One of their best performances was when Carsen Edwards was the star and they played one of the best elite 8 games I've ever seen against Virginia. They ultimately lost in OT but elite guard play by Edwards got them there.

Reactions: littlez
For several seasons in a row the Big Ten was considered the top 1 or 2 conference in the regular season, only to crap out mostly in the tournament. Only 2 Final Four appearances in the 24 available spots in the last 7 years(1 cancelled COVID season )

I'm wondering if this year will be a bit different. I could see a much maligned conference having a couple of teams get hot at the right time and push to the Elite Eight or Final Four. I respect the heck out of Purdue basketball, but I totally expect them to crap out in the sweet sixteen this year though.
Agree with most of this.

It's always about matchups in the tourney. There are a few B1G teams I could see making an EE run if things fall the right way. Unfortunately, Iowa isn't one of them.

Agree with most of this.

It's always about matchups in the tourney. There are a few B1G teams I could see making an EE run if things fall the right way. Unfortunately, Iowa isn't one of them.
Honestly, if our shooters get hot and stay hot we could make a run to sweet sixteen or even possibly the elite eight. But that relies upon everyone getting hot. The team isn't good enough to only rely on Kris scoring his points to make a deep run like that. Also have to play at least average defense for those games. We don't stand a shot against a good team just trying to outscore them in a track meet up and down the court without at least trying to get stops.

Reactions: Bishop1971
B1G has a lot of pretty good teams, but only one elite team, although some teams (especially IU,) could definitely get on a roll if they get healthy and figure out rotations and playing together. I think there are only a couple of teams that are not top 40-50ish teams, but right now, Purdon't is the only clear top 20 team. I think that the officiating in the B1G hurts teams, which get away with ridiculous physicality on their home courts during the season, but have a hard time adjusting to how they can play in the dance.

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT