ADVERTISEMENT

Only 54% of FBS transfer portal players found new schools last year

hawktrooper1

HR All-State
Jan 5, 2017
Meaning 46% of players ended up at an FCS school or completely out of football. YIKES.

As of this morning, there were 1,100+ FBS players in the portal from 131 schools. Meaning about 9% of total scholarship players (85 per team).

Add walk-ons and FCS players to the equation, and there were over 3,000 players looking for new schools this morning.

Conclusion: As crazy as things are this year, players will eventually realize the transfer portal could leave them completely devoid of a situation and things will simmer down in coming years. For every Charlie Jones, there are 99 dudes who would've been better off staying at Iowa.

Meaning 46% of players ended up at an FCS school or completely out of football. YIKES.

As of this morning, there were 1,100+ FBS players in the portal from 131 schools. Meaning about 9% of total scholarship players (85 per team).

Add walk-ons and FCS players to the equation, and there were over 3,000 players looking for new schools this morning.

Conclusion: As crazy as things are this year, players will eventually realize the transfer portal could leave them completely devoid of a situation and things will simmer down in coming years. For every Charlie Jones, there are 99 dudes who would've been better off staying at Iowa.
It’s crazy for sure!

Giving up a guaranteed free education at a a D-1 college in hopes finding a better place to play is very risky for a lot of these guys. If you are a top level guy not a big deal. You will get other offers right away. But the second tiered players?

Getting a degree from a good University is not important too many of these young men. They all believe they are NFL players and will get NIL $$$$ if the change schools. The second-tier players may not like what happens after entering the portal.

Schools will have the upper hand with some of these kids. They won't take them back after exploring the portal. My understanding of the rules is that school does not have to honor your scholarship as soon as you enter the transfer portal.

Would you wager that he's representative of the majority of collegiate football players?

One of our lineman just entered the portal not knowing how many years he had left to play.
Italics my friend, learn them, love them, and understand that they indicate sarcasm!

Italics my friend, learn them, love them, and understand that they indicate sarcasm!
ViciousConstantDwarfmongoose-max-1mb.gif

• Haha
Reactions: squeezebox

o_O

Your last paragraph is spot on. That's why I chuckle at all the people losing their minds on this board and on Twitter about the portal; eventually enough kids will get left out in the cold and it will simmer down. Ain't no need to get excited.

Sure the crappy players whom no one cares if they leave don't find a home. The problem is the good ones who can demand not only an offer but good compensation.

Is it possible that some of the 46% went back to their prior school?

Also, I have to believe a chunk of that 46% was strong-armed by their coach to "consider other options".

Reactions: MilleGinja
If you think this will work itself out. Look no further then those declaring early for the NFL. We are at a point where there are more that declared early then draft picks. But those declaring early gets larger every year.

This revised system is gonna let the best Schools sign 40 and pass the twenty they don’t like next year. The phrase they use in the military or governmeant sector is pass the trash

Reactions: kceasthawk
With that many players in the portal, some of these guys won't have a chair when the music stops.

Now, gimme some of your tots trooper

Very dangerous for a player to enter the portal without first making sure that there is serious interest on the other side,... The system promotes, and perhaps even dictates, the back door conversations that aren't supposed to happen.

Have you interacted with many college athletes lately?

They make our game thread posters look like Mensa members.
Funny ... and sadly true.

On the flip side ... there are also guys who might primarily focus what intellect they have toward cultivating their football IQ (largely an issue of motivation).

Consequently, they might be dumb as shit as it relates to recognizing the big picture ... but be darn fine football players.

In the case of Iowa, I'd wager that some of our players ARE likely overreacting and leaving prematurely ... BUT they are perfectly talented players (Bruce, Johnson, Williams, Jacobs, Roberts).

I wish we were only losing the "dumb ones."

This is the downside. Everybody thinks they can find a better option when in reality that is not the case. I think there needs to be some education about these numbers to every player and would probably help if people around them were honest in their actual prospects of finding a home.

Very dangerous for a player to enter the portal without first making sure that there is serious interest on the other side,... The system promotes, and perhaps even dictates, the back door conversations that aren't supposed to happen.
Disagree. How many backdoor conversations would you assume are happening? Would you say 3 percent of players in the portal or less? Maybe 35 out of a 1100? How many really highly sought after players out of those 1100. Backdoor conversations about transfers have always happened, there are few Cam Newtons. I see it as a way for the teams like Iowa to get a couple of skill players and a couple of o-line players to hit a higher win ceiling for a couple of years. I sure hope we had some parents or friends out there having those conversations.

How many are looking for NIL money?

How many are looking for playing time at any level?

It’s a free country and FCS is a great place to get playing time and exposure. They just better know FCS experience is a different universe than the luxury of power 5.

Reactions: Section25
Disagree. How many backdoor conversations would you assume are happening? Would you say 3 percent of players in the portal or less? Maybe 35 out of a 1100? How many really highly sought after players out of those 1100. Backdoor conversations about transfers have always happened, there are few Cam Newtons. I see it as a way for the teams like Iowa to get a couple of skill players and a couple of o-line players to hit a higher win ceiling for a couple of years. I sure hope we had some parents or friends out there having those conversations.

I would suspect that the type "back door conversation" I'm thinking about happens with 50-60% of these portal transfers...

This is the downside. Everybody thinks they can find a better option when in reality that is not the case. I think there needs to be some education about these numbers to every player and would probably help if people around them were honest in their actual prospects of finding a home.
I think they do provide the players with those facts at the start of every year when they cover the rules/how to make sure you maintain NCAA eligibility. Some guys just are bound and determined to go somewhere else. The very best ones have either a good idea of where they are going prior to entering the portal, or that they will have multiple offers. Others are going in with bad advice for sure.

Roster retention and roster management is going to be very difficult for some schools. Not sure how you go about managing your roster year to year in the MAC or other non-P5 conferences. Literally every good player who has eligibility is likely to move. Heck, even in the P5 conferences we are seeing it as well (look at Iowa and others).

ADVERTISEMENT