ADVERTISEMENT

Only Post Of The Year

Mar 14, 2022
No other way to say it - we laid a turd. Not happy about it but it happens. All-in-all, an exciting season (up until today). Thanks to the seniors (though I’m disappointing in the JBO texting). His right of course to do so, but I can’t help but think that it distracted his focus. I would have expected more maturity from a sixth-year senior. Not a great example to the younger players either. However, he certainly wasn’t the only poor shooter today. Live by the sword/die by the sword.

As for Fran, I think offensively he is a great coach. However, we have always seemed soft on defense. Still in disbelief we beat Purdue. I honestly don’t know if it’s a function of the team he wants on the floor, or the team he is forced to field due to an inability to recruit a true big. However, Richmond’s bigs abused us today on the inside without an answer. I was surprised that they didn’t try to throw Josh in there to see if he could throw off their bigs. Couldn’t have hurt. Very unfortunate we couldn’t have rented a true big for a year using Ash’s scholarship (No - I don’t consider PR to be a big)

Congrats to Richmond. They wanted it more and found a way to get it done. Good luck to our team next year. Finally, let’s hope the Iowa Women can take something valuable away from today’s game and blaze a better path.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
We didn’t lose today because of our defense.

A kentucky or Baylor or Kansas wins today by having elite athletes that force a mid major into even tougher time making shots. Rebraca is not much of a post defender...Jbo is not a good defender...Pmac at the 3 is not a good defender.

Richmond imposed their will on Iowa offense instead.

A kentucky or Baylor or Kansas wins today by having elite athletes that force a mid major into even tougher time making shots. Rebraca is not much of a post defender...Jbo is not a good defender...Pmac at the 3 is not a good defender.

Richmond imposed their will on Iowa offense instead.
The difference between Iowa and Richmond was Gilyard, who singlehandedly created buckets for them. We still don’t have that PG

The difference between Iowa and Richmond was Gilyard, who singlehandedly created buckets for them. We still don’t have that PG
not quite, joe does these types of things and plays amazing defense, but since he misses a few threes and over penetrates once and awhile he's not as good as a guy that will make a couple threes but give up crap on defense.

Reactions: Marshallcart
Their big guy sucked ass. Its not like were getting torched off post ups. They were quicker and playing harder.

Reactions: onionman1
No other way to say it - we laid a turd. Not happy about it but it happens. All-in-all, an exciting season (up until today). Thanks to the seniors (though I’m disappointing in the JBO texting). His right of course to do so, but I can’t help but think that it distracted his focus. I would have expected more maturity from a sixth-year senior. Not a great example to the younger players either. However, he certainly wasn’t the only poor shooter today. Live by the sword/die by the sword.

As for Fran, I think offensively he is a great coach. However, we have always seemed soft on defense. Still in disbelief we beat Purdue. I honestly don’t know if it’s a function of the team he wants on the floor, or the team he is forced to field due to an inability to recruit a true big. However, Richmond’s bigs abused us today on the inside without an answer. I was surprised that they didn’t try to throw Josh in there to see if he could throw off their bigs. Couldn’t have hurt. Very unfortunate we couldn’t have rented a true big for a year using Ash’s scholarship (No - I don’t consider PR to be a big)

Congrats to Richmond. They wanted it more and found away to get it done. Good luck to our team next year. Finally, let’s hope the Iowa Women can take something valuable away from today’s game and blaze a better path.

Go Hawks!
Post more.

I agree. Our four guards combined scored 14 points today on 5-18 shooting. Guard play like almost every tournament game Iowa loses is the difference.
It really is that simple I believe as well.

As stated all year, if you get any meaningful offensive production out of JBo and CMac together the Hawks are extremely hard to beat. When they suck, not so much. They both sucked, and they had LOT'S of company. Awful Fing game today Hawk's. You got what you earned.

Like Iowa, Richmond's guards didn't play well either, aside from Gilyard obviously. But Gilyard can set the table for the other guys on the floor and go and get his, too. A few TOs but everything seemed to come so easy for him.

Different story for JBo and CMac who combined for 56 minutes and disappeared for large stretches of the game. Maybe a guard like Gilyard will be on the roster next year, but if not, you better go find one, hopefully two.

not quite, joe does these types of things and plays amazing defense, but since he misses a few threes and over penetrates once and awhile he's not as good as a guy that will make a couple threes but give up crap on defense.
Joe still doesn’t score with any consistency. Gilyard creates buckets for others while still being a great scorer himself. You need guards who can get buckets in March. I believe Perkins can be that guy eventually. Hopefully Ulis/Toussaint/Bowen can take a step forward in that department as well

Joe still doesn’t score with any consistency. Gilyard creates buckets for others while still being a great scorer himself. You need guards who can get buckets in March. I believe Perkins can be that guy eventually. Hopefully Ulis/Toussaint/Bowen can take a step forward in that department as well
When he plays 30 minutes you can make that argument. He has never been given the minutes of the chosen one.

It was a factor. They had 40+ points in the paint-most of them from <5 feet from the basket.
Iowa lost one game this year giving up 67 points and that was the Rutgers football game. The reality is that with the pace we play at and the way we like to push the ball, we can’t shoot 36% in a tournament game and win

Guards, guards, guards, guards, guards. It is not about the big men in these early round games, and if you don't have good guards, you're not making a run. Offenses relying on shooting and not getting to the hole for easy buckets rarely advance in the tournament.

The other thing I'll mention for a moment is that we are a bad passing team. We don't put defenses in peril by passing the ball very often. A big part of this is point guard, because we don't have a ball handler able to break down a defense and put a defender in a spot where they have to rotate to help.

Reactions: Hawkenschpiel
He had 4 pts in 10 minutes against Purdue. That and 4 steals 1 rebound and 1 assist His scoring is fine. Point guards. are defined by more than just scoring.
No kidding? But they need to be able to score in March. That’s my point. We’ve had first team All American after first team all American, but what we have never had is a point guard who can control the game like Gilyard did today. Locked us up on defense. Made clutch bucket or assist after clutch bucket or assist on offense

Guards, guards, guards, guards, guards. It is not about the big men in these early round games, and if you don't have good guards, you're not making a run. Offenses relying on shooting and not getting to the hole for easy buckets rarely advance in the tournament.

The other thing I'll mention for a moment is that we are a bad passing team. We don't put defenses in peril by passing the ball very often. A big part of this is point guard, because we don't have a ball handler able to break down a defense and put a defender in a spot where they have to rotate to help.

if joe played for another team we would all be saying we need a tough quick pg that can defend like him.
his shooting lacks because he always has to wonder/worry about minutes. If Aaron and joe shot as many threes as Connor they would shoot just fine. They get too little game experience.

...I honestly don’t know if it’s a function of the team he wants on the floor, or the team he is forced to field due to an inability to recruit a true big. However, Richmond’s bigs abused us today on the inside without an answer. I was surprised that they didn’t try to throw Josh in there to see if he could throw off their bigs. Couldn’t have hurt. Very unfortunate we couldn’t have rented a true big for a year using Ash’s scholarship (No - I don’t consider PR to be a big)

Congrats to Richmond. They wanted it more and found away to get it done. Good luck to our team next year. Finally, let’s hope the Iowa Women can take something valuable away from today’s game and blaze a better path.

Go Hawks!
Did you notice Luka Garza the past 2 years? The only center in the history of the award to win the Jabbar trophy 2 years in a row?

Oh, and their 2 centers only scored 8 points. Their fowards ate up Iowa's forwards, incling both of the Murrays. And the Murrays could not hit outside shots today. That was the problem.

Reactions: CookyMonster
...I honestly don’t know if it’s a function of the team he wants on the floor, or the team he is forced to field due to an inability to recruit a true big. However, Richmond’s bigs abused us today on the inside without an answer. I was surprised that they didn’t try to throw Josh in there to see if he could throw off their bigs. Couldn’t have hurt. Very unfortunate we couldn’t have rented a true big for a year using Ash’s scholarship (No - I don’t consider PR to be a big)

Go Hawks!
Did you notice Luka Garza the past 2 years? The only center in the history of the award to win the Jabbar trophy 2 years in a row?

Oh, and their 2 centers only scored 8 points. Their quick guard and their fowards (both 6'7") ate up Iowa's forwards, including both of the Murrays. And the Murrays could not hit outside shots today. That was the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT