ADVERTISEMENT

Open practice leaves little optimism

cedarvalleykid14

All-Conference
Jun 7, 2015
Didn't go to the open practice. Nothing to see. Never has been, never will be under KF. Those who were there, media included, are forlorn. The D could be pretty good, but the O, especially the line, is a lost cause.

OK, so what else is new?

Here's the thing that many of us have been saying for a long time: When you don't have enough talent or experience, you have to be more creative, but that's KF's greatest failing. So...

I just read a recent SI article that interviewed a number of top coaches about the role trick plays, or "specials" as the national champions over in Columbus call them, have in their offenses. It's an awesome article, but only makes Hawkeye fans ill knowing that Ohio State uses trick plays in the national semifinals to beat Alabama, but Kirk is afraid to use one against MAC teams.

Anyway, the OSU O-coordinator and Urban Meyer are quoted as having several special plays ready for general use in any game plus week-to-week specials based on tendencies of particular opponents. Well, if Ohio State needs special plays, do you think Iowa does?

So with the offensive situation the Hawkeyes have, obviously--to everyone but GD and KF, of course--Iowa needs some specials, some trick plays, and some new wrinkles such as misdirection, two RBs in a split backfield so defenders can be faked out and won't need to be blocked. This Iowa offense needs an Evy or a Fry. Instead it has a GD and a KF. Woe is us if those two think Iowa can move the ball and score points by out-executing anybody. Iowa's O needs the help and confidence that comes from knowing you have some tricks up your sleeve.

Boise State, TCU, Baylor, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, Auburn...those pitiful programs have to rely on trick plays, but that's not what we do in Iowa City. And that's a shame. The Iowa players deserve better.

We have much bigger issues than not having a full arsenal of trick plays
We do have bigger problems, but that's what we need this year. And not even just trick plays. That 5-yard out that we hate on third and long? Run that a lot on first down and run it to everybody (Smith, Hillyer, Vandeberg, Scheel). Have the tight ends just sit in the middle of the zone ready to catch darts and go down without fumbling but make sure you do it on first down a lot. We're not going to be successful running the zone-stretch with a young o-line. There are a lot of disciplined defenders in this league now who can slow that down if they're not being pancaked.

The thing that is frustrating is that I am sure Kirk is well aware that his strength is in fundamentals, blocking, technique yet he does not seem to want to hire more creative offensive minds to offset his weaknesses (which is obviously "innovative offense"). I mean, no one thinks we are going to magically run a spread offense and sling it around 50 times a game, but teams like Oregon and Auburn actually run the ball a ton, but just in a more innovative fashion.

Reactions: Vroom_C14
Iowa should tell the NCAA to go f*** themselves and create their own exemption clause that allows them to bring back 5 former Iowa OL of the NCAA's choosing that are currently playing in the NFL and allow them to come back and help our awful and undersized OL. If we can do that, then the world is our oyster and Ohio State will drop football, because f*** Ohio State.......right OP? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Reactions: OneHawk91
Kirk's trick play is to surprise the def on 3 and 9 by having the QB throw 1 yard beyond the scrimmage line and have the player run for the other 8 yards. He calls it so often though, it has become a staple in the play book.

Didn't go to the open practice. Nothing to see. Never has been, never will be under KF. Those who were there, media included, are forlorn. The D could be pretty good, but the O, especially the line, is a lost cause.

OK, so what else is new?

Here's the thing that many of us have been saying for a long time: When you don't have enough talent or experience, you have to be more creative, but that's KF's greatest failing. So...

I just read a recent SI article that interviewed a number of top coaches about the role trick plays, or "specials" as the national champions over in Columbus call them, have in their offenses. It's an awesome article, but only makes Hawkeye fans ill knowing that Ohio State uses trick plays in the national semifinals to beat Alabama, but Kirk is afraid to use one against MAC teams.

Anyway, the OSU O-coordinator and Urban Meyer are quoted as having several special plays ready for general use in any game plus week-to-week specials based on tendencies of particular opponents. Well, if Ohio State needs special plays, do you think Iowa does?

So with the offensive situation the Hawkeyes have, obviously--to everyone but GD and KF, of course--Iowa needs some specials, some trick plays, and some new wrinkles such as misdirection, two RBs in a split backfield so defenders can be faked out and won't need to be blocked. This Iowa offense needs an Evy or a Fry. Instead it has a GD and a KF. Woe is us if those two think Iowa can move the ball and score points by out-executing anybody. Iowa's O needs the help and confidence that comes from knowing you have some tricks up your sleeve.

Boise State, TCU, Baylor, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, Auburn...those pitiful programs have to rely on trick plays, but that's not what we do in Iowa City. And that's a shame. The Iowa players deserve better.

So you didn't go to the scrimmage and you feel there is no reason at all for optimism. I think you should relax and lighten up a little. I did go to the scrimmage and I think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. First of all, both Boone Myers and Ike Boettger are good athletes and our coaches will continue to do a great job of developing offensive lineman. If they stay healthy, they will both be excellent. Other reasons for optimism on offense, we will be better at QB and at RB this year. Also Smith and Vandenberg are quality receivers and several of our young receivers look quick and talented. George Kittle looked outstanding at tight end, and we are deep and talented at that position again this year. Marshal Koehn also looked outstanding kicking FG's.. Defensively, as previously reported, D. Ott was outstanding, and I think Nate Meier is going to be much improved this year and will put his experience to good use. Jaleel Johnson looks to be an outstanding DT for us. The LB's looked much improved and the secondary should be excellent this year. I am looking forward to what could be an a very good year for us. Whatever happens, I will be there cheering on the Hawks!

I would much rather have a team strong on fundamentals than one with some special plays in the back pocket.
Meyer also says "Coaching gets you the first five yards, talent gets you the rest."
OSU has special plays not because they need to, but because they can afford to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT