ADVERTISEMENT

Open Scrimmage

Would you want to see a summer scrimmage?

• Yes, give me something positive to talk about!

Votes: 68 75.6%
  • No, summer is busy enough...

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • No, I'm frightened by what I might see.

Votes: 16 17.8%

• Total voters

hawkeyeguy69

HR All-American
Oct 1, 2001
Edit Note: by coincidence and my lack of paying attention, I see that Bluder's Bunch did this last Friday! Will Fran do the same or leave us hangin???

With there being no PTL, us Hawkeye diehards are starving for information. Anything helps these dog days of summer.

What about holding an open Scrimmage for fans to see? That is something Fran could do/allow. Who would be interested in that?? I'd love to see it!

I know the coaches are allowed 4 hours a week with each player. What if he took one of those hours and held an open scrimmage? Fran on one side, Speraw on the other bench. Let them go at it. That would be an awesome news feed for us starving Hawk fans.

And if coaches are not allowed to meet as an organized group, then have two of the players be coaches. Fran can pick his top his top 2 players he wants to be this years leaders, and they could be the player-coaches(JBo & Cook?).... Pick 2 younger players to be the assistants on each side. Our future leaders(Joe & Garza?). That would help build some leadership skills. IMHO.

At the very least it would give us something to hopefully have positive chat about on the Hawkeye's future. We/Fran certainly need it!!

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Reactions: GrayhoundHawk
1. Coed teams chosen from the men’s & women’s programs by next year’s team captains.
2. No dunking
3. Free admission.
4. Incentive: Winners get to start seasons first non-conference game.
5. Costumes optional for players and audience, but mandatory for coaches.

I would like to see it. Not sure if Fran would do that even if he could. I'm guessing Speraw verse Dillard. With Fran overseeing both.

Could this be something setup under the new rules? Or would it have to be more like the shirts & skins games they used to have before football games? Forgot that's gone now too...

I am hoping they do something. This no info kinda sucks. It's like Fran is trying to cut us off...?

I know it was just PTL, but it fed us starved Hawk fans for most the summer... It's almost like football with no access to any of spring ball.

I’d look forward to the threads if Speraw’s team consistently beat Frans.

Guessing they wouldn't be able to have it in the practice gym like the women did due to size of crowd it would attract. It would be pretty brutal to hold it in Carver with no AC for the fans. It was bad enough during the West High grad ceremony we endured back in May.

How about in DSM like the football team? I doubt Drake would loan the Knapp center... However there is Valley or one of the other schools gym.

Or in CR at the 5.

Guessing they wouldn't be able to have it in the practice gym like the women did due to size of crowd it would attract. It would be pretty brutal to hold it in Carver with no AC for the fans. It was bad enough during the West High grad ceremony we endured back in May.

Carver not having AC is ridiculous! The building would be more efficient than about any arena in Iowa as it stands. The cool air has nowhere to go... Put in a few units already. And open up the spring, summer & fall usage of the building.

ADVERTISEMENT