ADVERTISEMENT

Open Thread

Can you give a few updates chief? On the road and can't really find any results.

Best match of the tourney was Colon/Garrett. Any match Garrett is in is one I'm watching. Kid is electric but Joe beat him with great positioning and aggression.

Ringer was soooo close to taking Dake out.

Fix/Ramos reminds us that Tony is very difficult to score on. Fix had a sure thing on him and got out of it to put Fix in a pickle...who then got out of it in his own right. I think Spencer is going to give both problems.

If Spencer takes down Fix it’s over. If Spencer doesn’t finish quick then Fix can give him problems with counters and par terre. Ramos gets beat by Spencer. I have Spencer over Gilman in a 6-4 type match. That weight will be story-line after story-line. Only thing one could wish for is to throw DD into the mix once again - which isn’t happenin.

Saw lots of tweets today..."Gable out here dominating men" and the like. When he got beat by Coon, it was "But he's just a kid." That was the overall theme concerning him.

I am not off the Gable S train one bit. Kid is great and will beat most college guys but he can get got...at least next year. Coon bullied him. Gable is only 17 though and can grow a few more inches and that type of leverage against him will go away. If I were Minnesota, I would at least think about shirting him...not because I don't think he can win it because giving him that time to grow and let his body catch up with the rest of his attributes will likely ensure him being a 4 timer and one of the most dominant college wrestlers ever. As is, he is not there yet.

Lugo also beat O'Connor, the guy who beat Berge, at Midlands. Guess we shouldn't look too far into that either.

No one will replace Retherford, but I have to say PSU keeps bringing in top tier young talent. Berge and J Lee look pretty solid, likely AA's. Brooks is gonna be a force too.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
So there’s no last chance qualifiers for trials this year? We won’t see Cory Clark in Rochester?

Sorry I'm so dense - I'm still not understanding. Why can't they just simplify the process, with one tournament? They have the U.S. Open, which qualifies wrestlers for the World Team Trials, but then there's something (a separate tournament?) called "Final X." Will that be the final final, or could they possibly come up with something else to extend the process? What the heck does X even mean? I'm really trying to become a fan of freestyle, and recent rule/scoring changes have helped A LOT, but these opens, divisions, qualifiers, trials don't appeal to my simple mind.

Best match of the tourney was Colon/Garrett. Any match Garrett is in is one I'm watching. Kid is electric but Joe beat him with great positioning and aggression.

Ringer was soooo close to taking Dake out.

Fix/Ramos reminds us that Tony is very difficult to score on. Fix had a sure thing on him and got out of it to put Fix in a pickle...who then got out of it in his own right. I think Spencer is going to give both problems.

Thanks boss.

In a drunken state, I will break my HR silence. I was put off by the hateful non-wrestling comebacks to some of the PSU commentary (allbeit some are trolling big time!) and perhaps “ignore” will keep me from a few responses to this. I just have to say that I love this sport above all else and I’m happy to see some great posts on this thread!

Iowa and PSU look to have great futures ahead and I’m excited about the battles between the two teams to come! Congrats on the successful Open and thanks to those of you (on both sides) that keep the posts about the wrestling!

No one will replace Retherford, but I have to say PSU keeps bringing in top tier young talent. Berge and J Lee look pretty solid, likely AA's. Brooks is gonna be a force too.
By the time Brooks gets to PSU in 2-3 years, he'll be a force of nature. He's going to be that good.

Saw lots of tweets today..."Gable out here dominating men" and the like. When he got beat by Coon, it was "But he's just a kid." That was the overall theme concerning him.

I am not off the Gable S train one bit. Kid is great and will beat most college guys but he can get got...at least next year. Coon bullied him. Gable is only 17 though and can grow a few more inches and that type of leverage against him will go away. If I were Minnesota, I would at least think about shirting him...not because I don't think he can win it because giving him that time to grow and let his body catch up with the rest of his attributes will likely ensure him being a 4 timer and one of the most dominant college wrestlers ever. As is, he is not there yet.
Coon came through heavy at a tough time - always a bridesmaid. He has wins over 2 - 2 time champs and a 3 time champ. He’s right up there with the upper echelon guys

Were some great matches but the officials to me are too much into what is going on.Let them wrestle without the constant stoppages.

Reactions: wasdt21
If Spencer takes down Fix it’s over. If Spencer doesn’t finish quick then Fix can give him problems with counters and par terre. Ramos gets beat by Spencer. I have Spencer over Gilman in a 6-4 type match. That weight will be story-line after story-line. Only thing one could wish for is to throw DD into the mix once again - which isn’t happenin.
They dont allow riding so not sure where you are going with that?i

My guess is DD knew his ride was over about one week into having Spencer as his training partner for the 2016 Olympics....

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT