ADVERTISEMENT

Opening up of Cuba to US takes another small step.

THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
First Direct Flight From New Orleans To Cuba Since 1958 To Take Off This Weekend
A group of 80 business and civic leaders will take the first direct flight from New Orleans, La., to Cuba since 1958 on Saturday, according to an article published on Cuban state media.
Saturday's flight comes after U.S. and Cuban officials agreed in December to take steps to normalize diplomatic relations for the first time since 1961.
The group traveling to Cuba will participate in the "Cuba Hoy," or "Cuba Today," The agenda includes seminar
on topics including foreign investment, energy development and historic
preservation led by both U.S. and Cuban experts.

"Re-establishing Louisiana's historically strong ties with Cuba could
have a huge economic impact on Louisiana, particularly New Orleans," Joe Doss, the president of At The Threshold, told the Times-Picayune in January,
when the conference was first announced. "This trip will help position
Louisiana as a leader in the engagement process and set the stage for a
mutually beneficial relationship."
The Dec. 17 announcement that
the U.S. and Cuba would mend diplomatic ties generated increased
interest in investing in the island. The U.S. announcement included the
easing of restrictions on some sales of agricultural and other products
to Cuba, as well as permitting Americans to bring up to $400 of Cuban
goods when returning from the island.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/13/new-orleans-cuba-flight_n_6867212.html

Bill Clinton has ordered 50 Cuban Cigars for
his bedroom night stand. Some guys put a
notch in their belt, other guys smoke a cigar.
Bill's personal bedroom is off limits to Hillary

As I say in every one of these threads: Opening trade and cultural ties with Cuba is the fastest way to get the Castro's to fall. That is a nation ripe to develop quickly with the introduction of capitalism. Plus, I want to frolic on one of their beaches.
Should have opened relations decades ago.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

Bill Clinton has ordered 50 Cuban Cigars for
his bedroom night stand. Some guys put a
notch in their belt, other guys smoke a cigar.
Bill's personal bedroom is off limits to Hillary
40 years ago, Congressman Neal Smith gave my father a box of "Cubans". He told dad that "Congressmen can bring anything home if they want."
wink.r191677.gif

The box then (40 years ago) probably cost $25.

Originally posted by lucas80:
As I say in every one of these threads: Opening trade and cultural ties with Cuba is the fastest way to get the Castro's to fall. That is a nation ripe to develop quickly with the introduction of capitalism. Plus, I want to frolic on one of their beaches. 
They said that about China too. How is that going?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by aflachawk:
As I say in every one of these threads: Opening trade and cultural ties with Cuba is the fastest way to get the Castro's to fall. That is a nation ripe to develop quickly with the introduction of capitalism. Plus, I want to frolic on one of their beaches.Â
Should have opened relations decades ago.Â
They said that about China too. How is that going?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Not exactly the same demographics or level of development. However, middle class wealth is exploding. As people get more and more money they have also decided they want more information. I give the Communist Party in China 15 years. Tops.

OP should look at the history of flights to Cuba since the embargo began, including cultural, business, and congressional. NoLa? BFD.....

Why, what's the difference between a beach in Cuba and one on the numerous islands in the vicinity?

Because its only a few miles from Florida. Multiple carriers will set up flights. Likely cheaper than some of those islands farther out in the gulf. Maybe we can get allegiant to set up a direct flight from Des Moines.

Originally posted by THE_DEVIL:

First Direct Flight From New Orleans To Cuba Since 1958 To Take Off This Weekend

A group of 80 business and civic leaders will take the first direct flight from New Orleans, La., to Cuba since 1958 on Saturday, according to an article published on Cuban state media.

Saturday's flight comes after U.S. and Cuban officials agreed in December to take steps to normalize diplomatic relations for the first time since 1961.

The group traveling to Cuba will participate in the "Cuba Hoy," or "Cuba Today," The agenda includes seminar
on topics including foreign investment, energy development and historic
preservation led by both U.S. and Cuban experts.

"Re-establishing Louisiana's historically strong ties with Cuba could
have a huge economic impact on Louisiana, particularly New Orleans," Joe Doss, the president of At The Threshold, told the Times-Picayune in January,
when the conference was first announced. "This trip will help position
Louisiana as a leader in the engagement process and set the stage for a
mutually beneficial relationship."

The Dec. 17 announcement that
the U.S. and Cuba would mend diplomatic ties generated increased
interest in investing in the island. The U.S. announcement included the
easing of restrictions on some sales of agricultural and other products
to Cuba, as well as permitting Americans to bring up to $400 of Cuban
goods when returning from the island.

Kansas Wheat Growers would like to see open markets with Cuba. As of now they purchase their wheat from France and Canada. Shipping costs from the USA are substantially lower and Cuba is a big market. There are all kinds of economic reasons aside from the political to have open relations with Cuba.

We Shouldn't Legitimize the Castros and Establish Diplomatic Relations with Cuba.

With all the discussion of "American values" recently over the Senate report on CIA interrogations after 9/11, it's interesting we'd embrace Cuba, a communist dictatorship which suppresses social, political and economic liberties.

Where are the American values in that?

Of course, we shouldn't be surprised by this move by Team Obama, which is likely looking to Cuba for an "at last" foreign policy win in a long string of failing strategies from Russia to Iran to the Islamic State.

Unfortunately, caving to Cuba won't be one.

Team Obama’s plan to normalize diplomatic relation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT