ADVERTISEMENT

Operation London Bridge - How the Queen's funeral will work

Right on schedule

MPs pay tribute to Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in the House of Commons – Friday 9 September

Lords pays tribute to Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II – Friday 9 September

Has anyone asked the obvious….

If I broke into BP and put the crown on my head before Charles but after Elizabeth passed, would I be the new king?

The British do pomp amazingly well.
I'm watching the procession of the Queen's casket from Buckingham Palace to Westminster, and it's just amazing. Picture perfect weather coupled with magnificent uniforms, amazing backdrops, weeping crowd members...
I don't know my Royals well enough to know who is in the second row with William and Harry in uniform. Andrew and Harry are not allowed to be in uniform. I assume it's Anne or Edward's son?
Edit: Prince Edward is in uniform, and I was confused and thought he was in the second row. A few older duffers walking with the family in uniform. I assume Anne's son is in the second row, as Edward's son is only 14 or so.

Last edited:
I'm watching the procession of the Queen's casket from Buckingham Palace to Westminster, and it's just amazing. Picture perfect weather coupled with magnificent uniforms, amazing backdrops, weeping crowd members...
I don't know my Royals well enough to know who is in the second row with William and Harry in uniform. Andrew and Harry are not allowed to be in uniform. I assume it's Anne or Edward's son?
Edit: Prince Edward is in uniform, and I was confused and thought he was in the second row. A few older duffers walking with the family in uniform. I assume Anne's son is in the second row, as Edward's son is only 14 or so.

I think it might be Peter Phillip's who is Princess Anne's son. I don't think he's in uniform though. He's in civilian attire with a few medals pinned to him.

Reactions: lucas80
I think it might be Peter Phillip's who is Princess Anne's son. I don't think he's in uniform though. He's in civilian attire with a few medals pinned to him.
Yes. He is the oldest grandchild of the Elizabeth, so that makes sense. Interestingly enough, he has two bastard half siblings. I suppose they didn't make the cut to attend the services?

Yes. He is the oldest grandchild of the Elizabeth, so that makes sense. Interestingly enough, he has two bastard half siblings. I suppose they didn't make the cut to attend the services?
I don't know anything about them but they are likely his dad's children when his mom is the daughter of the queen. So they arn't really in the royal family. The queen isn't their grandmother or really related to them in any way.

Pretty amazing stuff. I give a lot of credit to the men who carried that lead lined coffin. You could tell they were exerting themselves. The same when the casket came off the plane in London yesterday after the flight in from Scotland. I assume they practice this occasionally. I know the US has a group on standby for the funerals of ex presidents, and when Bush Sr passed there was commentary about how they have to stay in practice.

So am I the only one who has seen London has Fallen? It was almost this exact scenario. Foreign dignitary dies. Big state funeral for death of major British figure…Security is a nightmare. Is no one else nervous about the clusterfudge this has to be logistically?

Don't care about this but I have it on TV. The procession was pretty cool.

I cannot understand why Harry is not allowed to be in military uniform. No, I understand the reasoning, but yet I don't. He actually served and was decorated. Seems an exception should have been made for him.

The next few months should be great watching The Usurper Meghan weave her way playing the Game of Thrones. Mysterious deaths and high drama to come.

So am I the only one who has seen London has Fallen? It was almost this exact scenario. Foreign dignitary dies. Big state funeral for death of major British figure…Security is a nightmare. Is no one else nervous about the clusterfudge this has to be logistically?
First thought when they were talking about all the heads of state on their way to this funeral was that a well placed strike could take out the entire leadership of the western world.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Don't care about this but I have it on TV. The procession was pretty cool.

I cannot understand why Harry is not allowed to be in military uniform. No, I understand the reasoning, but yet I don't. He actually served and was decorated. Seems an exception should have been made for him.

The next few months should be great watching The Usurper Meghan weave her way playing the Game of Thrones. Mysterious deaths and high drama to come.
The Royals are all ceremonially tied to the military as it's head. When Harry fell under Meghan's spell he broke with the family and withdrew from public service. As such he cannot wear a ceremonial uniform. Notice that it isn't a service branch specific uniform. I suppose if he were so inclined, he could squeeze into his old British Army uniform and nobody would stop him?

Pretty amazing stuff. I give a lot of credit to the men who carried that lead lined coffin. You could tell they were exerting themselves. The same when the casket came off the plane in London yesterday after the flight in from Scotland. I assume they practice this occasionally. I know the US has a group on standby for the funerals of ex presidents, and when Bush Sr passed there was commentary about how they have to stay in practice.
I saw a news show on this, I think Sunday Morning did it. There is an entire unit who's sole purpose is funeral duty. They not only do ex-presidents but all the funerals at Arlington. These guys are jacked, the weight training they do, the drills and precision they practice, it was impressive.

The Royals are all ceremonially tied to the military as it's head. When Harry fell under Meghan's spell he broke with the family and withdrew from public service. As such he cannot wear a ceremonial uniform. Notice that it isn't a service branch specific uniform. I suppose if he were so inclined, he could squeeze into his old British Army uniform and nobody would stop him?
No, he was required to wear the suit that was picked out for him, he had no choice in his attire. None of them do.

I'm pretty sure it would be a faux pas for retired military to wear their old uniforms here too.

He's not a ceremonial head of a service and he's no longer actively serving.

First thought when they were talking about all the heads of state on their way to this funeral was that a well placed strike could take out the entire leadership of the western world.

Maybe but each country has successors to those offices that won't be at the funeral. It would be a big thing but it won't send the whole western world into a constitutional crisis.

I honestly get more nervous about presidential inaugurations. When a president leaves office pretty much the entire cabinet leaves with him while the incoming Pres, VP, Speaker, and President pro temp are all at the inauguration. If god forbid a bomb should go off and take out all 4 of them, it's not immediately clear who would wield presidential authority. At state of the unions they have a designated survivor but they don't have that for inaugurations unless it's a president who just won re-election.

No, he was required to wear the suit that was picked out for him, he had no choice in his attire. None of them do.
Not sure if I follow you at this point. He's wearing the suit a rich English dude would wear to a funeral. He wasn't going to show up in khakis and an unbuttoned dress shirt.

Not sure if I follow you at this point. He's wearing the suit a rich English dude would wear to a funeral. He wasn't going to show up in khakis and an unbuttoned dress shirt.
Somebody posted that he could wear his old Army uniform. I saw on the tele that his, and everyone else's, clothes are picked out for them. Like, it's not just enough that he wear a suit, the suit must be the exact suit that was picked out as a part of this ceremony.

Literally every single piece of this has choreographed from the moment of her death. From what is worn, to flowers used, everything. Think of it as Bridezilla x1,000,000,000.

Somebody posted that he could wear his old Army uniform. I saw on the tele that his, and everyone else's, clothes are picked out for them. Like, it's not just enough that he wear a suit, the suit must be the exact suit that was picked out as a part of this ceremony.

Literally every single piece of this has choreographed from the moment of her death. From what is worn, to flowers used, everything. Think of it as Bridezilla x1,000,000,000.

All of this was choreographed a long time before she died. They updated it as needed but they pretty much have the funeral plans in place for you the moment you take the throne.

This is getting ridiculous and to me just reinforces the break we made 250 years ago. Put her in the ground and let’s move on.

This is getting ridiculous and to me just reinforces the break we made 250 years ago. Put her in the ground and let’s move on.

We go through this same grand funeral stuff every time a former president dies and that person is only in office for 8 years at most.

This woman has been doing her job for some of our closest allies since the 1950's.

We go through this same grand funeral stuff every time a former president dies and that person is only in office for 8 years at most.

This woman has been doing her job for some of our closest allies since the 1950's.
Sure, and I’ve said before I respect how she did her job.
I just have zero use for the royal family or the idea of monarchies generally.

Sure, and I’ve said before I respect how she did her job.
I just have zero use for the royal family or the idea of monarchies generally.

When they are constitutional monarchies they are fine.

Quite frankly they are more than fine I think they have strong advantages over the Republic. In fact a lot of the westernized republics seem to be falling apart while the westernized constitutional monarchies are thriving.

The only well functioning Republic left is Germany and **maybe** Ireland.

Wall to wall coverage starting in a few hours. I’ll watch the reverse procession from the Abbey back to Buckingham Palace, and then to the Admiralty Arch. Weird that they are basically interring her tomorrow, then pulling her and Phillip out of the crypt and burying them together at another plot in the grounds of Windsor Castle.

ADVERTISEMENT