ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion For the good of the country, Biden and Harris should bow out of the 2024 election

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017

During this autumn’s avalanche of political news, an enormous boulderbounced by, barely noticed. It demonstrated why Joe Biden should not seek another term. Democrats should promptly face that fact, and this one: An Everest of evidence shows that Vice President Harris is starkly unqualified to be considered as his successor.

The boulder: Meeting recently with some progressive activists, Biden said his $426 billion student loan forgiveness was accomplished by “a law” that he had “just signed”: “I got it passed by a vote or two.” No. He. Did. Not.
Biden was not merely again embellishing his achievements. This is not just another of his verbal fender benders. There is no less-than-dismaying explanation for his complete confusion. What vote? Who voted?

After repeated unilateral extensions of the moratorium on loan repayments until election season, Biden unilaterally implemented the windfall for millions of voters. Congress was not involved in this cataract of money from the Treasury, in violation of the Constitution’s appropriations clause.
It is frightening that Biden does not know, or remember, what he recently did regarding an immensely important policy. He must be presumed susceptible to future episodes of similar bewilderment. He should leave the public stage on Jan. 20, 2025.
Jonathan Capehart: Biden is totally going to run again
So should his vice president. Thomas R. Marshall, Woodrow Wilson’s vice president, joked, “Once there were two brothers. One ran away to sea; the other was elected vice president of the United States. And nothing was heard of either of them again.” Kamala Harris has been heard from, sufficiently.
Story continues below advertisement

Transcripts of her verbal meanderings cannot convey their eerie strangeness. Videos of them should be watched. Meanwhile, here are her Proustian thoughts about broadband in Louisiana: “The governor and I and we were all doing a tour of the library here and talking about the significance of the passage of time. Right? The significance of the passage of time. So, when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time in terms of what we need to do to lay these wires, what we need to do to create these jobs. And there is such great significance to the passage of time when we think about a day in the life of our children …”
What most excited her about the Inflation Reduction Act? “I have a particular fondness, I must tell you, for electric school buses. I love electric school buses. I really do … I’ve been on these electric school buses … 25 million children in our country, every day, go to school on those diesel-fueled school buses. And hundreds, thousands of school bus drivers are driving those buses. Which are then, these people — these children, these adults — are inhaling what is toxic air.”
Image without a caption

Follow George F. Will's opinions
Harris at an international conference: “We will work together, and continue to work together, to address these issues, to tackle these challenges, and to work together as we continue to work operating from the new norms, rules and agreements, that we will convene to work together.” She added: “We will work together.”

Harris in Poland: “I am here standing here on the northern flank, on the eastern flank, talking about what we have in terms of the eastern flank and our NATO allies …”
Harris on space: “Space — it affects us all, and it connects us all.” On whether Democrats “failed” by not codifying abortion rights in federal law: “I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.” On equity: “Equitable treatment means we all end up in the same place.” On the border: “We have a secure border in that that is a priority for any nation, including ours and our administration.”

Regarding Biden and Harris, the national Democratic Party faces two tests of stewardship: Its imprimatur cannot again be bestowed on either of them. Biden is not just past his prime; even adequacy is in his past. And this is Harris’s prime.
In 2024, the Republican Party might present the nation with a presidential nominee whose unfitness has been demonstrated. After next Tuesday’s sobering election results, Democrats should resolve not to insult and imperil the nation by doing likewise.

Reactions: goldmom
Love this logic from a party that allowed themselves to be taken hostage by crazy. First it was the tea party, which the party acted like they couldn’t control which gave us trump.
This logic comes from George Will who left the party because of Trump. Sorry. Try again.

Reactions: TJ8869
I actually hope all of today's prospective candidates bow out. I'm getting a little tired of having to choose between ignorant, narcissistic, ideologically impaired geriatric candidates for the most important position in the world.

Last edited:
No way. Biden has had one of the most productive first two years in my lifetime. And this is with Trump blocking all attempts to transition, leading a violent coup, and handing off a destroyed government. I'm astounded by everything Joe has accomplished.

No way. Biden has had one of the most productive first two years in my lifetime. And this is with Trump blocking all attempts to transition, leading a violent coup, and handing off a destroyed government. I'm astounded by everything Joe has accomplished.
Come on. Really? I don't think anyone else sees the last 2 years this way. Not saying you've been drinking, but asking, have you been drinking? :)

Come on. Really? I don't think anyone else sees the last 2 years this way. Not saying you've been drinking, but asking, have you been drinking? :)
And Biden did it with zero margin of error in the Senate. His list of accomplishments smokes Trumps and in half the time. I hope he does run again.

• Haha
Reactions: Nole-4-Life

During this autumn’s avalanche of political news, an enormous boulderbounced by, barely noticed. It demonstrated why Joe Biden should not seek another term. Democrats should promptly face that fact, and this one: An Everest of evidence shows that Vice President Harris is starkly unqualified to be considered as his successor.

The boulder: Meeting recently with some progressive activists, Biden said his $426 billion student loan forgiveness was accomplished by “a law” that he had “just signed”: “I got it passed by a vote or two.” No. He. Did. Not.
Biden was not merely again embellishing his achievements. This is not just another of his verbal fender benders. There is no less-than-dismaying explanation for his complete confusion. What vote? Who voted?

After repeated unilateral extensions of the moratorium on loan repayments until election season, Biden unilaterally implemented the windfall for millions of voters. Congress was not involved in this cataract of money from the Treasury, in violation of the Constitution’s appropriations clause.
It is frightening that Biden does not know, or remember, what he recently did regarding an immensely important policy. He must be presumed susceptible to future episodes of similar bewilderment. He should leave the public stage on Jan. 20, 2025.
Jonathan Capehart: Biden is totally going to run again
So should his vice president. Thomas R. Marshall, Woodrow Wilson’s vice president, joked, “Once there were two brothers. One ran away to sea; the other was elected vice president of the United States. And nothing was heard of either of them again.” Kamala Harris has been heard from, sufficiently.

Transcripts of her verbal meanderings cannot convey their eerie strangeness. Videos of them should be watched. Meanwhile, here are her Proustian thoughts about broadband in Louisiana: “The governor and I and we were all doing a tour of the library here and talking about the significance of the passage of time. Right? The significance of the passage of time. So, when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time in terms of what we need to do to lay these wires, what we need to do to create these jobs. And there is such great significance to the passage of time when we think about a day in the life of our children …”
What most excited her about the Inflation Reduction Act? “I have a particular fondness, I must tell you, for electric school buses. I love electric school buses. I really do … I’ve been on these electric school buses … 25 million children in our country, every day, go to school on those diesel-fueled school buses. And hundreds, thousands of school bus drivers are driving those buses. Which are then, these people — these children, these adults — are inhaling what is toxic air.”
Image without a caption

Follow George F. Will's opinions
Harris at an international conference: “We will work together, and continue to work together, to address these issues, to tackle these challenges, and to work together as we continue to work operating from the new norms, rules and agreements, that we will convene to work together.” She added: “We will work together.”

Harris in Poland: “I am here standing here on the northern flank, on the eastern flank, talking about what we have in terms of the eastern flank and our NATO allies …”
Harris on space: “Space — it affects us all, and it connects us all.” On whether Democrats “failed” by not codifying abortion rights in federal law: “I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.” On equity: “Equitable treatment means we all end up in the same place.” On the border: “We have a secure border in that that is a priority for any nation, including ours and our administration.”
For the good of the country, George Will should retire.

Reactions: ICHerky
And Biden did it with zero margin of error in the Senate. His list of accomplishments smokes Trumps and in half the time. I hope he does run again.
Well I guess you should be campaigning for him then as a huge majority disapproves of his job as President and an even bigger majority sees the country as headed in the wrong direction. But God bless you man for the positive attitude.

Fine by me. Kamala absolutely cannot be the head of the ticket; she’s so unbelievably unlikable.

Dems would actually have a chance in 2024 if they don’t do what they always do which is cobble together 10-12 candidates when the DNC already has their choice pre-selected. If they unite behind a strong, youthful candidate early, they could hold up. But that means Biden needs to bow out early - I don’t see him doing that unfortunately.

The next two years will be some interesting theater in the democrat party. When Biden announces he won’t run again all eyes turn to Harris. Will Biden support his own VP in then primary?

Love this logic from a party that allowed themselves to be taken hostage by crazy. First it was the tea party, which the party acted like they couldn’t control which gave us trump.
George Will is one of the good guys. Disavowed Trump waaaay back and has - I believe - renounced his allegiance to the GOP completely. I often don't agree with him but I've always respected his opinion (and he absolutely loves baseball). He's a conservative whose voice matters. He is right about this.

I'd rather have 4 more years of Biden than someone further left than him.

I think Trump should bow out of 2024 for the good of the nation as well though.

If Joe Manchin ran against John Kasich...that could be exactly what we need right now.

With Joes age he really needed to pick a great VP....and I'm not sure he could have picked a worse one.
We were told by HROT Dem loyalists that the VP pick didn't matter when it came to voting for POTUS. Of course they all sang a different tune when Palin was the pick, but I digress.

The VP choice always matters. It mattered for Kennedy. It mattered for Nixon. It mattered for Reagan. It mattered for W. It definitely matters now.

This logic comes from George Will who left the party because of Trump. Sorry. Try again.
Whens the last time republicans listened to will?
I don't disagree that Biden is a flawed candidate at his age and it's one thing to say it but it's another to have republicans promote it. You don't have that leg to stand on.

They should start traveling the country together and build up steam for the Kasich/ Manchin 2024 ticket.
I was more thinking they needed to run against each other as the nominees for their respective parties, so whichever one wins has a little something everyone likes and a little something they don't. Neither is going to swing the country to an extreme in any direction. I'd sign up for 8 years of that today...

Last edited:
Reactions: Finance85
Well I guess you should be campaigning for him then as a huge majority disapproves of his job as President and an even bigger majority sees the country as headed in the wrong direction. But God bless you man for the positive attitude.
He’s Team D brother. The letter is what matters.

Last edited:
And I bet you're super impressed that Sleepy Uncle Joe lowered gas prices to today's prices from the $5+/gallon we were paying when he took office. Right?

George Will misses the point.

America cannot be led by the pardon seeking GOP and Will is making this about Biden/Harris. He's trying to look scholarly but he's really absentminded.

• Haha
Reactions: FranCantCoach

America cannot be led by the pardon seeking GOP and Will is making this about Biden/Harris. He's trying to look scholarly but he's really absentminded.
Absentminded? Like Biden/Harris?

I read it more as Will saying the Dems need to put forward a candidate capable of firing up voters in order to prevent Trump from slipping in again. Will despises Trump and everything he stands for and Biden/Harris are not the candidates to counter him.

I read it more as Will saying the Dems need to put forward a candidate capable of firing up voters in order to prevent Trump from slipping in again. Will despises Trump and everything he stands for and Biden/Harris are not the candidates to counter him.
The candidates don't matter. Our democracy matters and Will is looking past that, imho.

The guy knows baseball. That might be his most impressive area of expertise. For that reason alone, l'd okay with him sticking around a little longer.

For baseball I agree, I just know that I'm about ready to cut ties with every politician, analyst and prognosticator that either came of age or worked in politics prior to 2008.

The point is the merely incompetent (if they are even that) are still vastly preferable over the objectively traitorous.

His points might have some merit if the alternative wasn't so plainly worse, by leaps and bounds.

As someone said, if given the choice between a gross onion and butter sandwich on white bread and toast dipped in arsenic, there really is only one lunch choice.

George Will is one of the good guys. Disavowed Trump waaaay back and has - I believe - renounced his allegiance to the GOP completely. I often don't agree with him but I've always respected his opinion (and he absolutely loves baseball). He's a conservative whose voice matters. He is right about this.
Agree he's a one of the few good conservatives but it's hard to think of someone's opinion that is less relevant these days than George Will. He will be even more useless giving advice to the left than he was in preventing Trump's takeover of his party. Will was downright delusional about what his party was before Trump exposed it to the world, as a right winger he should just shut up with his "for the good of the country" BS and go away.

• Haha
Reactions: FranCantCoach
Biden, Harris, Trump, they all need to go away.

I'd like to see a choice between John Thune and Tom Vilsack.

Both would make great Presidents. Both of them are sane. I'd have a hard time choosing because even though Vilsack is a Democrat I respect the work he's done and think he'd make a fine President.

The point is the merely incompetent (if they are even that) are still vastly preferable over the objectively traitorous.

His points might have some merit if the alternative wasn't so plainly worse, by leaps and bounds.

As someone said, if given the choice between a gross onion and butter sandwich on white bread and toast dipped in arsenic, there really is only one lunch choice.
The point you are missing is that neither is acceptable. There are plenty of acceptable choices on each side. Kamala and Trump aren’t two of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT