ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion I thought the Jan. 6 committee wouldn’t matter. I was wrong.

Sometimes I think D's lose sight of who their target audience is for this....

It's not the 40% that are already totally onboard with thinking this was an existential threat to Democracy.

It's not the 40% that think it's a nothing burger.

It's the 20% that think it's somewhere in the middle....those are the folks that they need to shift. Seems like it's directed at the first group in a lot of ways...
I actually agree. But that's because the 40% in your first cohort are absolutely correct and it boggles the mind that anyone could be so cavalier about a literal attack on the U.S. Congress spurred on by a losing presidential candidate. It defies reason.

Reactions: Torg
I actually agree. But that's because the 40% in your first cohort are absolutely correct and it boggles the mind that anyone could be so cavalier about a literal attack on the U.S. Congress spurred on by a losing presidential candidate. It defies reason.
As one of the folks "boggling" your mind....

My thing is I think it was bad...Trump is unfit to hold office....it was really bad.

I just don't see the event as a "existential threat" to Democracy. People that broke into the capital are going to jail....the vote was certified in a bipartisan fashion 3 hrs? after the break in....the evidence hasn't shown any governmental participation in the "coup"....no support from the military...police or any other agency you need to launch a "coup".

The "system" worked as it should and there are safeguards....that worked. Trump challenged in court....lost every time.

That's where I'm at....and it "boggles the mind" :) that folks believe "democracy was at the brink" that day. If anything it proved pretty resilient.

My thing is I think it was bad...Trump is unfit to hold office....it was really bad.

I just don't see the event as a "existential threat" to Democracy. People that broke into the capital are going to jail....the vote was certified in a bipartisan fashion 3 hrs? after the break in....the evidence hasn't shown any governmental participation in the "coup"....no support from the military...police or any other agency you need to launch a "coup".

The "system" worked as it should and there are safeguards....that worked. Trump challenged in court....lost every time.

That's where I'm at....and it "boggles the mind" :) that folks believe "democracy was at the brink" that day. If anything it proved pretty resilient.
I think our view of the event is closer than you might think. Some of our differences are likely semantics.

Do I think American democracy was imperiled on or about Jan. 6, 2021? No, not really. I do, however, think the impetus behind that movement IS however an ongoing and serious threat to our body politic. The system worked, yes --- but is still flawed and I believe the first attempted coup may be looked back upon someday as more of a dress rehearsal than the real deal ---- which, yeah, kind of makes it part of the ongoing existential threat.

I think our view of the event is closer than you might think. Some of our differences are likely semantics.

Do I think American democracy was imperiled on or about Jan. 6, 2021? No, not really. I do, however, think the impetus behind that movement IS however an ongoing and serious threat to our body politic. The system worked, yes --- but is still flawed and I believe the first attempted coup may be looked back upon someday as more of a dress rehearsal than the real deal ---- which, yeah, kind of makes it part of the ongoing existential threat.
I mostly agree with that.

Wish the focus was on tightening up the vote certification process to close up the avenues the Trump cabal unsuccessfully pursued. Doesn't seem to me enough emphasis has been placed on that...

That's where I'm at....and it "boggle the mind" that folks believe "democracy was at the brink" that day. If anything it proved pretty resilient.
Lol

• Angry
Reactions: cigaretteman

If Pence would have gotten into the car with secret service the certification wouldn't have happened and Grassley would have presided over the Senate just like he said he was on 1/5 (Grassley is a participant). The insurrection was much worse than you are stating.

If Pence would have gotten into the car with secret service the certification wouldn't have happened and Grassley would have presided over the Senate just like he said he was on 1/5 (Grassley is a participant). The insurrection was much worse than you are stating.
As Granpappy Torbee used to say: "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." :)

As Granpappy Torbee used to say: "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." :)
Ummm no. This is a tad more chilling than that. I hear ya and this is technically correct it was THAT close

^^ Count me in too. I am all for the guilty being investigated, charged and convicted of whatever bad deeds that were done that day...up to and including Trump. BTW, that includes EVERYBODY, not just the hated Republicans.

But...I never for one second felt like the country hung in the balance, etc. Now then, that doesn't mean that some in that crowd wouldn't have done something terrible if the opportunity presented itself, because emotions were running high enough that just about anything would be possible. It was serious and needs to be dealt with as such. (As do many other protests that result in mayhem and significant destruction, etc.)

Yes, it was bad and cannot be repeated, but I think many continue to hype this event way beyond the stupid that it was. If there was really a concerted, well coordinated effort to seriously overthrow the US government...wouldn't somebody have shown up with a gun, weapon, etc? I am not counting flags and bullhorns as weapons BTW.

This was mainly emotionally fueled stupidity and reaction that got out of hand. (Reaction that should not have been permitted and should have been actively shut down, which it kind of wasn't.) FWIW, many people that I know view it similarly, even some that support the Dem's.

That’s a bit revisionist. There’s a climate in which he was elected, and a reason he was elected.
To sit here 6 years later and play I told you so doesn’t really help.
Yes, a climate of Russian and far right disinformation and of unprecedented tampering from an fbi director just days before the election. Despite this, 2.9 million more Americans wanted the email lady to be president. The electoral college is an assault on our democracy

Reactions: cigaretteman

Sorry, but this is OIT batshit crazy....

ADVERTISEMENT