ADVERTISEMENT

Edited title* Opinion: if we have to kill the season because Keven warren is a dufus with a 3 week wait rule, start the rebuild.

otoh, I don't like it simply from the optics and the timing. I don't want to give the appearance of lending credence to any of the accusations that have been made.

OTOH, the accusations may have been true and Ferentz made a smart and courageous move to address problems that were there. I think he made the program stronger and I'd like to see him move it on. I admire what he did.

And really, if we didn't hang out on HR, the optics have faded and people have moved on to other shiny things.

OTOH, the accusations may have been true and Ferentz made a smart and courageous move to address problems that were there. I think he made the program stronger and I'd like to see him move it on. I admire what he did.

And really, if we didn't hang out on HR, the optics have faded and people have moved on to other shiny things.
of course some, if not most, of the accusations are true. and all should be taken into account... that doesn't mean you have to act on all of them. from what we've learned most of them were related to one person and mainly because he was a giant d and not because of flat out racial bias. most of the complaints were minor at worst; earrings and hats, music in the weight room.

i'm on the same side as you are, i'm saying IF a change happens, whether its because KF decides to retire or he is compelled to retire, i wouldn't like it because I think a lot of people would see that as a direct effect of the twitter onslaught. i would prefer not to give the twitter-verse any more power than it already has.

I don't think the OP understands what the term rebuild means. Or else he has a very different definition. We are coming off a 10 win season. Have been incredibly consistent. If we were to replace Kirk or were he to leave, it would not be a rebuild job if/when someone comes in.
Exactly, and furthermore. If your going to push out the winningest coach in school history, and top five in BIG history, (while he has the program humming), what exactly does that say to potencial new hires? Either that KF is guilty and needs to go, which is a bad look and probably overblown, or that we'd be willing to throw him out with the bath water. Either way this would not be good optics for whomever might consider the job.

The change is coming at some point though, wouldn't it make sense to do it when you have a full year? You are just kind of delaying the inevitable right?
No it is not. It is inevitable in every program that a new coach will someday come in but I do not feel that time is for several years. This program will never be able to compete with the Alabamas, Clemson and Ohio States for the type of athletes required to run certain schemes, Iowa is far more competitive when it recognizes this and sticks to what it does well. Look at Wisconsin. They have had three Coaches in Beliema, Andersen and Cyrst without deviating from what they do well. I do not think this has stopped BF from becoming HC, but it has delayed it.

Exactly, and furthermore. If your going to push out the winningest coach in school history, and top five in BIG history, (while he has the program humming), what exactly does that say to potencial new hires? Either that KF is guilty and needs to go, which is a bad look and probably overblown, or that we'd be willing to throw him out with the bath water. Either way this would not be good optics for whomever might consider the job.
We have hired 2 guys in the last 40 years. The "coaching carousel" or "what it says" after 20 years seems a bit overblown to me. The coaches understand this is a business also and while he may have racked up a bunch of wins he has certainly had the time to do it also.

No it is not. It is inevitable in every program that a new coach will someday come in but I do not feel that time is for several years. This program will never be able to compete with the Alabamas, Clemson and Ohio States for the type of athletes required to run certain schemes, Iowa is far more competitive when it recognizes this and sticks to what it does well. Look at Wisconsin. They have had three Coaches in Beliema, Andersen and Cyrst without deviating from what they do well. I do not think this has stopped BF from becoming HC, but it has delayed it.
Remember when they changed from the 4-3 to the 3-4? Sure "they are huge and run the ball" looks similar but they have changed through the years.

Talking with a fellow board member last night and we are both in agreement that it doesn't seem likely we will have football this year. So I presented this:

We know KF has a handful of years left with the program in the best of circumstances, he and I are in agreement BF sunk his bid to be the next HC so realiatically you are talking about a total rebuild. If we skip '20 instead of having an off year and then going through a rebuild in 3-4 years just take the lump now during a year of no football and create the easiest transition possible. What say you? If there is no football in '20 would it be a bad idea to blow it up and start over in the year off?

Edit* Oil brought up a good point early in this convo. Im talking about a staff rebuild here. We ARE in a great place from a roster standpoint which would help transition the new coach. We dont have to find ourselves in a "bare cupboard" situation.[/

Are you guys drunk or are you just two dumb ashes***?(just razzing ya) The program is doing good now and getting better. Let me quess..... we can get Bob Stoops right? Why do you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence when It's not. Remember how the basketball program was when they didn't resign DR. Tom Davis? Steve Alford, Lickleiter. and it took Fran how many year to rebuild? Remember. Not every football recruit wants to go to Iowa nor does every coach want to coach at Iowa. Also with what's going on with Iowa football it's going to be even harder to find a good coaching staff. Look how many coaches turned down the Mich. St. job because whats going on there. Bad Bad idea

Last edited:
Are you guys drunk or are you just two dumb ashes***?(just razzing ya) The program is doing good now and getting better. Let me quess..... we can get Bob Stoops right? Why do you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence when It's not. Remember how the basketball program was when they didn't resign DR. Tom Davis? Steve Alford, Lickleiter. and it took Fran how many year to rebuild? Remember. Not every football recruit wants to go to Iowa nor does every coach want to coach at Iowa. Also with what's going on with Iowa football it's going to be even harder to find a good coaching staff. Look how many coaches turned down the Mich. St. job because whats going on there. Bad Bad idea
Yes he and i were enjoying a couple brews while talking.

How long do you think KF sticks around for?

Talking with a fellow board member last night and we are both in agreement that it doesn't seem likely we will have football this year. So I presented this:

We know KF has a handful of years left with the program in the best of circumstances, he and I are in agreement BF sunk his bid to be the next HC so realiatically you are talking about a total rebuild. If we skip '20 instead of having an off year and then going through a rebuild in 3-4 years just take the lump now during a year of no football and create the easiest transition possible. What say you? If there is no football in '20 would it be a bad idea to blow it up and start over in the year off?

Edit* Oil brought up a good point early in this convo. Im talking about a staff rebuild here. We ARE in a great place from a roster standpoint which would help transition the new coach. We dont have to find ourselves in a "bare cupboard" situation.
Go away.

Yes he and i were enjoying a couple brews while talking.

How long do you think KF sticks around for?
LOL gotta love it. you're forcing me to respond. answer:Until he wins another Big title or Brian is ready to take over in a few years. I think he's enjoying the way Iowa's changing from "too predictable" to "Let's see what they do here" He's winning and he know it's getting better. I owe you a beer

Iowa is finally in a position to compete on both sides of the ball and you want to get rid of KF now? Wtf? He is making changes to his staff to be better recruiters and coaches. I think KF is aging and getting better. Iowa will compete for West and the B1G title on a regular basis now and into the future. Let’s just enjoy the ride with KF at the helm making the right calls to improve the program from a competitive and diversity standpoint.

Iowa is finally in a position to compete on both sides of the ball and you want to get rid of KF now? Wtf? He is making changes to his staff to be better recruiters and coaches. I think KF is aging and getting better. Iowa will compete for West and the B1G title on a regular basis now and into the future. Let’s just enjoy the ride with KF at the helm making the right calls to improve the program from a competitive and diversity standpoint.
Counter point: is it worth waiting until the cupboards go bare before making the change?

(I dont want to get rid of KF I just could see a good strategy in making the transition during a year of no football. As I sit here at 5 pm I personally am of the belief that if the powers to be think he stays 4+ after covid, keep him. If he is here 3 or less take the lump all at once, but I could see both sides and love discussing)

Last edited:
Yea I’ve had a lot of tough ass hole coaches growing up. Even Wadley saying Brian said it I looks like I’m about to rob a liquor store because he was wearing a full face ski mask is not racial AT ALL. I am all for Brian being the next HC as long as our offense continues to grow with his as the OC.

We have hired 2 guys in the last 40 years. The "coaching carousel" or "what it says" after 20 years seems a bit overblown to me. The coaches understand this is a business also and while he may have racked up a bunch of wins he has certainly had the time to do it also.
So where in that statement does that make it a good idea to run KF? And for what? Even 99% of the guys who had complaints don't want him ousted. The only few who may are malcontents and have been outed for their outright lies, and questionable reasons. Has he had plenty of time to win a lot of games, sure he has, and quite frankly he could have lost most of those games as well, so lets not make some stupid argument that his record means nothing because he's been here 20 years.

Counter point: is it worth waiting until the cupboards go bare before making the change?

(I dont want to get rid of KF I just could see a good strategy in making the transition during a year of no football. As I sit here at 5 pm I personally am of the belief that if the powers to be think he stays 4+ after covid, keep him. If he is here 3 or less take the lump all at once, but I could see both sides and love discussing)

We finally have great assistants w/ a great DC and a young, improving OC and you want to run them and KF? JFC, we are getting the athletes because of Foster, Copeland, Bell, Woods, and Binns. I think KF will coach for another five to ten years and Iowa will win a B1G championship and challenge for play off win or two. Either go to bed or start drinking excessively.

Edit* Oil brought up a good point early in this convo. Im talking about a staff rebuild here. We ARE in a great place from a roster standpoint which would help transition the new coach. We dont have to find ourselves in a "bare cupboard" situation.

I think Kirk will be around longer than most expect. Also, I think we need him to see this through. A new coach would have the benefit of the doubt on racial disparity issues and would be starting from scratch with no reason to believe they have a problem (as I think most do). Kirk knows he has a problem, we know it, the players and media know we all know it.

I think in this environment, with the sh*t out in the open, they could build something better and more equitable than exists elsewhere in college football. And if the successor comes from inside the program, they can then build on that. I do not want to lose that chance.

Lol, how exactly do you blowup the whole staff and think kids who committed to those coaches would stay?I know people hate the reminder but moving Tom Davis along didn’t work out so well. Why risk what you have for some dream vision of a new staff sweeping in. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Even with the recent issues, outside maybe 30 former players, everyone else seems to think iowa ain’t that bad. For every player ripping the program, 10 more aren’t complaining.

One of the dumbest ideas I've heard in a while... and there have been some really dumb ones lately. One of the main reasons these great recruiting classes chose the Hawkeyes is KF and the consistency of our coaching staff. Let's clean house. They'll love that!

Well you don’t want the cupboard to be bare for the next staff. And stuff.

Reactions: iamia
Well you don’t want the cupboard to be bare for the next staff. And stuff.

There is absolutely no guarantee’s that the next guy/staff works out even if try to get cute and do it now. The next guy might have an entirely different philosophy and the ‘cupboard’ that is left does not fit that and/or transfers out.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
I do not think this has stopped BF from becoming HC, but it has delayed it.

Well said. BF won’t get the HC job tomorrow, or even six months from now. And he’s probably damaged goods as far as most other jobs are concerned for the time being. But if he really keeps his head down and produces, basically his shit can’t stink for 3 years or so, this will all die down and the job can be his again.

Wow. I thought the OP asked a fair question. I happen to disagree but didn’t appear to be a troll. I think a couple things. We got hit with the perfect storm, i.e., no sports and the Floyd situation. And, quite frankly, we are weathering it quite well. Outside of ISU fans and the Green hack, this has subsided and KF is apparently making changes. We have our best recruiting class in years and coming off a top 15 10 win finish with the Big 10 West as strong as it has ever been and trending to be even better. We get through this and hopefully fall football. Look at our frickin schedule from a TV standpoint. I anticipate the following teams being ranked when we play them: Minny, OSU (top 3), PSU (top 10), Wisc (top 15) and we may be essentially replacing ISU with Michigan. Plus, we shall see on Purdue (best WR position group probably in the country) and Nebbie. I think we come out the other side stronger and KF will be in charge for 5 more years. Not overly concerned with the investigation. Seems most of the focus has been on Doyle and he is gone.

My thoughts exactly, so wouldn't it make sense to do it during a year of 0 football instead of 0 football and then a hit shortly after?
I don't see where a year of zero football has anything to do with it. KF isn't leaving prior to this year's season (whether it's played or not) so you are really talking about an off season retirement with or without football being played this year.
Not playing football this year has no bearing on "taking a hit". It's going to be about the same whenever he retires.

WTF are you talking about?

Did you read the OP’s original post? Summary, If zero football this year he wants to know if we should blow up the coaching staff and start fresh, Hence, Who is going to pay for Kirk’s buyout, That is WTF I’m talking about.

Did you read the OP’s original post? Summary, If zero football this year he wants to know if we should blow up the coaching staff and start fresh, Hence, Who is going to pay for Kirk’s buyout, That is WTF I’m talking about.
NP although I think the OPs question is ludicrous.

blow it up and start over? sounds stupid

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT