ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion It’s not a court. It’s a junta.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By Eugene Robinson
Columnist

This isn’t your country anymore. You are now governed by a secretive and unaccountable junta in long black robes, and there are going to be some changes around here.
Our de facto rulers are Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel A. Alito Jr., Neil M. Gorsuch, Brett M. Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett, with Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. usually joining in. Be sure to remember their names, because they are now large and in charge — and because they envision a United States far different from the nation we’re accustomed to.
I describe them with a term more commonly used for Latin American military regimes because, well, that’s what it feels like.

They want a country where women, once again, are at best second-class citizens. Their decision Friday to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling that protected the constitutional right to abortion means that women, unlike men, no longer have dominion over their own bodies.

They want a country where every pregnancy, wanted or unwanted, is carried to full term. They want women who seek terminations, and the doctors or nurses or friends or Uber drivers who help them in any way, to potentially be subject to criminal charges or civil lawsuits.

This means an America with fewer women in the workforce and more at home doing child-rearing. It means more child poverty, with families forced to bring into the world children whom they cannot afford to support. It means that girls who have been told their horizons are unlimited must now be disabused of that dangerous idea and regrettably informed that first and foremost they are baby-making machines.

In another decision last week, the junta declared that states can no longer require that citizens have some good reason to be allowed to carry concealed firearms in public. Our rulers want a country in which guns are everywhere — and the victims of those guns are seen as the price to be paid for a warped idea of “freedom.”

An America that already has astronomically high levels of gun violence can probably look forward to even more homicides, more suicides, more accidental gun deaths. Yes, this sounds insane. I never said our new rulers were sane.
The junta does not believe the nation’s founders were serious about the separation of church and state. A ruling Monday found that it was fine for a football coach at a public high school to lead his team in prayer at midfield after games; a decision last week decreed that if states give grants of public money for students to attend private schools, religious schools must also be eligible for those funds.

Let’s be honest: Our rulers don’t come out and say so, but obviously they see this as a Christian nation, not a secular one. We once believed that non-Christians had the right not to have Christianity imposed on them in the public sphere. That was then; this is now.

Previous Supreme Court majorities have expanded the rights and opportunities of the marginalized — women, of course, but also racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTQ citizens, the disabled. The junta clearly sees these rights as suspect. Our black-robed rulers will in the future be asked to vote up or down on affirmative action, same-sex marriage and other questions that involve the concept of equity. I shudder to imagine what they will do.
The junta does believe, however, that money has rights and freedoms. Attempts to curb the ability of corporations and wealthy individuals to purchase the legislative outcomes they want are out of the question.

In the short term, the junta is willing for the United States to be more like the loose collection of sovereign states created by the Articles of Confederation than the strong union created by the Constitution. A Missouri woman who has a safe, legal abortion across the river in Illinois could be a wanted criminal once she returns home. A gun that can’t be purchased in Maryland could be easily bought across the river in Virginia.

But this patchwork is just temporary, I fear. The junta clearly wants to transform the whole country to suit its reactionary vision. And its members, with lifetime appointments, are young enough to complete the job.
There is one way, and only one way, to keep this dystopia from being fully realized: Elect presidents, members of Congress, governors and state legislators who will use all their powers — which together are greater than the junta’s — to bend the arc of our moral universe back toward justice.
Our votes are the only weapons we have. Either we use them or we lose the future.

You know what, Democrats have had 50 years to codify Roe into federal law but didn't do it. Even the sainted RBG said Roe was on thin ice and might not stand up to a real challenge. But that didn't matter. Democrats have spent the last 50 years campaigning and fundraising on the threat of RvW being overturned and they had no intention of giving that up. They've dangled that carrot in front of their base for decades and the string finally broke. I would say it has come back to bite them, but in reality what happened last week was probably the best possible thing for a party on the verge of getting their ass kicked in the next couple elections. Like it or not, Democrat voters, but your party is as responsible if not more so than the Republicans. Within hours of the decision, Biden was using it to solicit funds from registered Democrats. It will be the first thing out of the mouths of every Democrat running for office.

What is so obviously missing from these conversations is the truth. The Supreme Court never said abortion was now illegal, but one would never know that by listening the left. All this means is that America gets to vote on the issue. That is all. The dems rail about 1/6 and the overthrow of democracy and when the court says we have to leave abortion up to a vote of the people, the dems go crazy. The left only wants to vote for things they disagree with and anything they like, they want to make sure it is off limits to democracy.

Reactions: Speedway1
The left also may want to reflect on their complete and total opposition to any form of compromise on this issue over the past 50 years. I believe 70-80% of the people would have been ok with a reasonable time frame for when a women had to make a decision on an abortion. A time frame that anyone who doesn't subscribe to the life begins at conception principle could accept. (Like what most of Europe has). But the left had to keep pushing and pushing and pushing and her they are.

What is so obviously missing from these conversations is the truth. The Supreme Court never said abortion was now illegal, but one would never know that by listening the left. All this means is that America gets to vote on the issue. That is all. The dems rail about 1/6 and the overthrow of democracy and when the court says we have to leave abortion up to a vote of the people, the dems go crazy. The left only wants to vote for things they disagree with and anything they like, they want to make sure it is off limits to democracy.
America gets to vote like we got to vote on Obama’s SCOTUS picks? Or tRump’s SCOTUS picks?

You know what, Democrats have had 50 years to codify Roe into federal law but didn't do it. Even the sainted RBG said Roe was on thin ice and might not stand up to a real challenge. But that didn't matter. Democrats have spent the last 50 years campaigning and fundraising on the threat of RvW being overturned and they had no intention of giving that up. They've dangled that carrot in front of their base for decades and the string finally broke. I would say it has come back to bite them, but in reality what happened last week was probably the best possible thing for a party on the verge of getting their ass kicked in the next couple elections. Like it or not, Democrat voters, but your party is as responsible if not more so than the Republicans. Within hours of the decision, Biden was using it to solicit funds from registered Democrats. It will be the first thing out of the mouths of every Democrat running for office.
Codifying is minute in comparison to Christian SCOTUS justices using Christian values in a decision in a secular nation.

Wake up, man - you're easily distracted.

Are you telling me the cons haven't been fund raising for the last 50 years on this same issue ?

By Eugene Robinson
Columnist

This isn’t your country anymore. You are now governed by a secretive and unaccountable junta in long black robes, and there are going to be some changes around here.
Our de facto rulers are Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel A. Alito Jr., Neil M. Gorsuch, Brett M. Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett, with Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. usually joining in. Be sure to remember their names, because they are now large and in charge — and because they envision a United States far different from the nation we’re accustomed to.
I describe them with a term more commonly used for Latin American military regimes because, well, that’s what it feels like.

They want a country where women, once again, are at best second-class citizens. Their decision Friday to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling that protected the constitutional right to abortion means that women, unlike men, no longer have dominion over their own bodies.

They want a country where every pregnancy, wanted or unwanted, is carried to full term. They want women who seek terminations, and the doctors or nurses or friends or Uber drivers who help them in any way, to potentially be subject to criminal charges or civil lawsuits.

This means an America with fewer women in the workforce and more at home doing child-rearing. It means more child poverty, with families forced to bring into the world children whom they cannot afford to support. It means that girls who have been told their horizons are unlimited must now be disabused of that dangerous idea and regrettably informed that first and foremost they are baby-making machines.

In another decision last week, the junta declared that states can no longer require that citizens have some good reason to be allowed to carry concealed firearms in public. Our rulers want a country in which guns are everywhere — and the victims of those guns are seen as the price to be paid for a warped idea of “freedom.”

An America that already has astronomically high levels of gun violence can probably look forward to even more homicides, more suicides, more accidental gun deaths. Yes, this sounds insane. I never said our new rulers were sane.
The junta does not believe the nation’s founders were serious about the separation of church and state. A ruling Monday found that it was fine for a football coach at a public high school to lead his team in prayer at midfield after games; a decision last week decreed that if states give grants of public money for students to attend private schools, religious schools must also be eligible for those funds.

Let’s be honest: Our rulers don’t come out and say so, but obviously they see this as a Christian nation, not a secular one. We once believed that non-Christians had the right not to have Christianity imposed on them in the public sphere. That was then; this is now.

Previous Supreme Court majorities have expanded the rights and opportunities of the marginalized — women, of course, but also racial and ethnic minorities, LGBTQ citizens, the disabled. The junta clearly sees these rights as suspect. Our black-robed rulers will in the future be asked to vote up or down on affirmative action, same-sex marriage and other questions that involve the concept of equity. I shudder to imagine what they will do.
The junta does believe, however, that money has rights and freedoms. Attempts to curb the ability of corporations and wealthy individuals to purchase the legislative outcomes they want are out of the question.

In the short term, the junta is willing for the United States to be more like the loose collection of sovereign states created by the Articles of Confederation than the strong union created by the Constitution. A Missouri woman who has a safe, legal abortion across the river in Illinois could be a wanted criminal once she returns home. A gun that can’t be purchased in Maryland could be easily bought across the river in Virginia.

But this patchwork is just temporary, I fear. The junta clearly wants to transform the whole country to suit its reactionary vision. And its members, with lifetime appointments, are young enough to complete the job.
There is one way, and only one way, to keep this dystopia from being fully realized: Elect presidents, members of Congress, governors and state legislators who will use all their powers — which together are greater than the junta’s — to bend the arc of our moral universe back toward justice.
Our votes are the only weapons we have. Either we use them or we lose the future.

So did this guy copy from some conservative writer from over the past 40 years?

Are you telling me the cons haven't been fund raising for the last 50 years on this same issue ?
No, I’m not suggesting that at all. I’m merely saying that this outrage could have been avoided at several points in the last half century but the people claiming to be the most upset were too busy using women as pawns for their political games. And they will continue to do so. They can’t claim the moral high ground on abortion any more than can the republicans.

Codifying is minute in comparison to Christian SCOTUS justices using Christian values in a decision in a secular nation.

This is not a secular nation but you keep living in your own world. This is a religious freedom nation. No has to believe, no one has to practice but everyone if entitled to do so without discrimination.

Specifically, what part of the Constitution makes abortion a federal issue? I genuinely want to know. And explain to me why the overturning of RvW violates that part of the Constitution. That is the only thing that matters here. The rest of it is just noise.

No, I’m not suggesting that at all. I’m merely saying that this outrage could have been avoided at several points in the last half century but the people claiming to be the most upset were too busy using women as pawns for their political games. And they will continue to do so. They can’t claim the moral high ground on abortion any more than can the republicans.
How? And why? It was considered settled law - even current SC Justices said so. Until they didn't.

There was no reason, now there is.

Specifically, what part of the Constitution makes abortion a federal issue? I genuinely want to know. And explain to me why the overturning of RvW violates that part of the Constitution. That is the only thing that matters here. The rest of it is just noise.
What part of the Constitution requires a person put their life at risk to support another?

This is not a secular nation but you keep living in your own world. This is a religious freedom nation. No has to believe, no one has to practice but everyone if entitled to do so without discrimination.
Well abby....if you ever listened to Pat Robertson, Billy Graham, the cultist who started Liberty University and a few others on Sat nite of Sunday mornings......"secular humanism" is what is wrong with America, to this very day.....

Reactions: HawkMD and IaHawk44
Well abby....if you ever listened to Pat Robertson, Billy Graham, the cultist who started Liberty University and a few others on Sat nite of Sunday mornings......"secular humanism" is what is wrong with America, to this very day.....
I don't listen to any of them but good for you.

I don't think it's a Junta - Juntas aren't based on religion. This court is more like the Iranian religious high court. They don't care what the people want, they don't care about legal precedent, they only care about how the rulings fit into their religious framework.
What about Roe v Wade? What precedent did that court use? There was no reason for that court to divide the country the way they did.

I don't think it's a Junta - Juntas aren't based on religion. This court is more like the Iranian religious high court. They don't care what the people want, they don't care about legal precedent, they only care about how the rulings fit into their religious framework.
Great analogy, we now have in place in the SCOTUS radical Christian legal and political clerics like much of the radical Islamic world currently does. Those people who hate that halfway across the world now love
this new arrangement at home to the detriment of the rest of us.

What about Roe v Wade? What precedent did that court use? There was no reason for that court to divide the country the way they did.
They didn’t divide the country dummy, that was the morons trying overturn it. Before Roe 17% of all childbirth deaths were from illegal abortions. People like you will drive us back to that.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Grow tf up.

The Bill of Rights. There wouldn't be objections to abortion if not for religious bullshit and a fight for political power. It's funny that those who say guns are a God given right think they know the constitution.

The precedent of American freedom without religious persecution.

Mind your own damn business, busybody.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
Very True! Sin lack of Morals etc.

Your mom is past her shelf life.
Yes she is. She was 91 when she passed away 18 years ago Parkisons. Hope you feel better you were right about something. My if you are a MD you should be an embarrassment to the profession.

can you or anyone get past the "red team vs blue team" bullshit? we're talking about democracy and freedom themselves here, and the state of the supposed Union itself. one party has gone full-on corporate fascist. the other one is mostly bought by the same corporations. this shall not stand, nor be sustained.

ADVERTISEMENT