ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion Mike Pence sits alone in a corner of sadness

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Mike Pence wants to be president. But there’s one problem — compared to the competition, he polls terribly. According to the latest data from Civiqs, he’s the only potential GOP presidential candidate who is well-known but not well-liked.

gop-scatterplot-heads-medium.jpg

Republican voters know Mike Pence. But they don’t like him.

Source: Civiqs

DAVID BYLER/THE WASHINGTON POST

Most GOP presidential aspirants don’t have this problem.

Follow David Byler's opinionsFollow

Republicans who are as famous as Pence — such as former president Donald Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis — are beloved by the base. And other candidates who post low favorable ratings, such as Sens. Josh Hawley of Missouri or Tom Cotton of Arkansas, aren’t disliked. GOP voters simply don’t know them.

But Republican voters know Pence and they still don’t like him.
As I’ve argued before, GOP voters dislike Pence because he stood up to Trump on Jan. 6, 2021. Immediately after Pence certified Joe Biden’s (rightful) victory, Pence’s favorability rating among Republican voters dropped. He never fully recovered.

• Sad
Reactions: Torg and TheCainer
So being a cowardly, spineless suck up wins you no fans from either side of the aisle?

No being cowardly and spineless for 4 years and suddenly developing a spine at the last and most crucial moment means you have no fans on either side.

To be fair to Pence as spineless as he was for 4 years at the last most crucial moment he grew a spine. And for that he won't be president. I'm ok with that.

No being cowardly and spineless for 4 years and suddenly developing a spine at the last and most crucial moment means you have no fans on either side.

To be fair to Pence as spineless as he was for 4 years at the last most crucial moment he grew a spine. And for that he won't be president. I'm ok with that.
I give him zero extra credit for that. It was his job.

Pence, just another republican who didn't have the guts to go against trump. After he left office, he had every opportunity to speak out about the Jan 6 insurrection attempt, and to cooperate with the Jan 6 committee and make himself look like a leader for the Republican party. Instead he must have thought by not cooperating and keeping silent that that would help him in some way. I think he miscalculated.

The GOP is so broken. Can you imagine saying, "That Mike Pence is so unlikeable. But the Marjorie Taylor Green? She's got moxie!"
Pence is likeable, like Jimmy Carter was “likeable”. Likeability is not his problem

Pence is likeable, like Jimmy Carter was “likeable”. Likeability is not his problem
Pence's problem was Treason was a bit too far off the ledge for him. Pence realized if he had gone to the mat for election overturning. He'd be the one who would pay the price. While Trump would sit back and see how it plays out.

Reactions: cigaretteman
He isn't polling too bad for a guy whose party wanted to hang him not long ago.

• Haha
Reactions: tumorboy
Pence is a sad individual. He wears his religion on his sleeve, which is fine as an individual, but terrifying when it's used as the basis for policy and governing. Just as Democrats use big government to erode freedom, Pence would use religion to promote government taking away freedom.

Pence as governor of Indiana had a lot of Kimmy in him. Maybe that's where she got some of her agenda.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT