ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion on Brecht

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
Kid is a damn damn GREAT baseball player- however does that translate to the football field? He kinda reminds me of Trey Stross (sp?)
Long and lanky - is his speed good or average? Can he block and run correct routes? He’s missed a ton of time injury wise - I REALLY hope he can step up and make a big statement as I have loved seeing him play in his HS highlight reels - just give us 250 yards and 2 touchdowns per game Brody! We will all be HAPPY 😃 GO HAWKS!

I mean this sincerely he might be the nicest elite prep athlete I've ever encountered. My parents, who are getting pretty old at this point, got really in to watching him play baseball and multiple times he would just answer their questions as they chatting him up after games. I really hope he gets the chance to achieve all of his goals and reach his potential.

I mean this sincerely he might be the nicest elite prep athlete I've ever encountered. My parents, who are getting pretty old at this point, got really in to watching him play baseball and multiple times he would just answer their questions as they chatting him up after games. I really hope he gets the chance to achieve all of his goals and reach his potential.
Great to hear, thanks for sharing!

Kid is a damn damn GREAT baseball player- however does that translate to the football field? He kinda reminds me of Trey Stross (sp?)
Long and lanky - is his speed good or average? Can he block and run correct routes? He’s missed a ton of time injury wise - I REALLY hope he can step up and make a big statement as I have loved seeing him play in his HS highlight reels - just give us 250 yards and 2 touchdowns per game Brody! We will all be HAPPY 😃 GO HAWKS!
He runs a sub-4.5. Was timed at 4.45 in HS at one point

Just my opinion here so take it or leave it. I think this is his last Fall in football if he doesn’t make a significant on field contribution. It’s very difficult to try and play two sports at the D1 level and now you start to stack injuries and rehabilitation that comes with it and it’s very overwhelming.

Hopefully the hamstring was a minor tweak and he’s able to contribute this Fall. Otherwise I wouldn’t begrudge him for just hanging it up on the football field after the season. Hamstrings always seem to be a long tricky recovery though.

T
Just my opinion here so take it or leave it. I think this is his last Fall in football if he doesn’t make a significant on field contribution. It’s very difficult to try and play two sports at the D1 level and now you start to stack injuries and rehabilitation that comes with it and it’s very overwhelming.

Hopefully the hamstring was a minor tweak and he’s able to contribute this Fall. Otherwise I wouldn’t begrudge him for just hanging it up on the football field after the season. Hamstrings always seem to be a long tricky recovery though.
100% agree.

Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
you mean terry?? ;)

Yeah, I have had that feeling for awhile but hopefully I am wrong and he makes an impact this year for football and sticks around because I do think he can be a good WR.

The first key ingredient for success ... is to be able to get on the field in the first place. So job #1 is getting healthy ... then the next is to improve through each and every rep. For really elite guys ... there is also that intense competitive desire to beat the guy across from you on each and every rep.

When healthy, Brecht could turn in to a match up nightmare for your typical DB who is going to give up 4-6" and 20-30 lbs. against him. He is basically a small TE with extreme top end speed and a great target, especially in the red zone. Don't rush him back unless we are sure he is 100% recovered from the hammy.

When healthy he will be a playmaker. Very good athlete, but one of those well grounded kids that has the smarts.

Reactions: NI hawk
Why would he not be better than Charlie? That's why they play the game. Every player steps on the field wanting to be better than the guy ahead of them. I like athletes with high IQ's.

Reactions: F5n5
Always better to have the smarter player, in almost every sport and competitive game. Its a huge advantage in football because the game is so complicated. I think KF looks for smarter players, and that is smart. Fifteen more points on the IQ chart makes the subtle and complex details of knowing where to be and when to be there much easier.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Always better to have the smarter player, in almost every sport and competitive game. Its a huge advantage in football because the game is so complicated. I think KF looks for smarter players, and that is smart. Fifteen more points on the IQ chart makes the subtle and complex details of knowing where to be and when to be there much easier.
Have to agree no doubt -

"Great" baseball player? I think the jury is still out on that one. What I saw was a very athletic big guy with a really big arm that couldn't control it. Maybe he'll be great but I'm not sure he's there yet. I would like to see him go to 1 sport (baseball) but right now the football team is going to need him this season before it's over.

Reactions: blhawk and MitchLL
Transplant a hammy and get him on the field because he is needed.

Joking about the hamstring but how long has he been injured?. Might be wrong but I recall a summer injury as well. He injured his thumb last Fall which kept him out all season. Not expecting him to play much unless he can get healthy enough to get through a couple weeks of solid practice.

I think the dual sport thing hinders his development especially in football because he is not able to concentrate on one sport, and the strength and conditioning are not going to be the same between the two sports. So, I wonder what his offseason training is compared to the other football players who are living football 365 days a year.

Reactions: BEAVERDALEHAWK

I’ll add to this and take the under 1.5 catches he has for his Hawkeye football career.
When you have baseball $ to fall back on how hard do you push through the pain to get on the football field?

this video was almost 3 yrs ago and probably 30# lighter, but dude is fast for size
His Rivals page at that time had him listed at 200 lbs and 247 had him at 205 lbs. He is now somewhere around 217 based on the last roster update but he could be up to 220 by now. Who knows, he might actually be faster than his junior year in high school ... most guys do gain speed the first couple years in the program with the training regiment they go through.

Only thought on Brecht is that he’s going to be the next Jeff Smardzjia and that elite two-sport players can be All-American football players and then go on to earn like $200M as an MLB pitcher.

So if he’s gonna play both sports, we should expect him to excel at both sports. No reason for Kirk to baby him to protect his baseball career. If that’s a thing, tell him to focus solely on baseball.

Jeff Smardzjia put his body on the line every time he stepped on the gridiron. Never played like he was worried about his baseball career. That’s why he was great.

Reactions: BBHawk
Only thought on Brecht is that he’s going to be the next Jeff Smardzjia and that elite two-sport players can be All-American football players and then go on to earn like $200M as an MLB pitcher.

So if he’s gonna play both sports, we should expect him to excel at both sports. No reason for Kirk to baby him to protect his baseball career. If that’s a thing, tell him to focus solely on baseball.

Jeff Smardzjia put his body on the line every time he stepped on the gridiron. Never played like he was worried about his baseball career. That’s why he was great.
Exactly. Smardzjia and Brecht are similar in a lot of ways. Both 6'4" ... good pitchers with excellent fast balls and WRs with good hands. Smardzjia was very physical and a tough matchup for DBs although I don't think he had Brecht's foot speed.

Reactions: hawktrooper1

I have mixed feelings because the freedom to play two sports has always been a part of the Ferentz recruiting pitch. Practically speaking I don't know how a guy that isn't near a Deion Sanders caliber of athlete and pretty high IQ can realistically be their best at either game and maintain eligibility.

What little I know of baseball is pitch placement is important and BB is wild. So play football son. If baseball is your ticket to millions in the future, play baseball. But make a choice and focus.

Last edited:
Reactions: AirForceChiefO
ADVERTISEMENT