ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion: Ron DeSantis’s repulsive war on Disney will soon face a reckoning

I am talking in generalities as it exists in the current parties philosophies. I don't think Desantis would be pushing for this if it wasn't for Disney taking public stances in the political arena against bills he signed and against other policies he was for.

By the same token, if it wasn't DeSantis pushing for this and Disney leaned more right, Dems would be all for it.
Understood - but you do know it is not DeSantis who introduced the idea. It originated with a rep from the Orlando area. No denying that the Governor has said he could support the idea but it won’t happen.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Wait, for at least 2 years you've know Tom was a great teacher and you still won't acknowledge it?

I don’t know a whole lot about the man aside from what he chooses to share on this board. It’s over, move on.

Yup. This after the people of Florida voted for an amendment to the constitution (if I am remembering that correctly) to prevent exactly that. From what I can tell, the legislature just decided to ignore that vote, pretend it doesn't exist, and then carry on business as usual. And, of course there have been no repercussions for this.
The Legislature has not approved the suggested redistricting as yet. And I suppose then you acknowledge that the 5th was a definite gerrymander?
I wonder if Florida will be different than what happened in NY or Illinois...

I don’t know a whole lot about the man aside from what he chooses to share on this board. It’s over, move on.

It's too bad you choose to have an agenda rather than giving someone the respect they deserve.

The Legislature has not approved the suggested redistricting as yet. And I suppose then you acknowledge that the 5th was a definite gerrymander?
I wonder if Florida will be different than what happened in NY or Illinois...
Illinois is highly gerrymandered, although it is more difficult to do it because half the population of the state is in the NE corner and it is heavily Democratic. It makes a difference, for sure, but not like what we see in Pennsylvania or Ohio.

For more information on what I'm talking about, the voters passed a Fair Districts amendment in 2010 with 63% of the vote. Governor Rick Scott pulled the amendment promising to "look at how it will be implemented". And it disappeared. Evidently there was a lawsuit, but that just kind of went away with no result too.

Illinois is highly gerrymandered, although it is more difficult to do it because half the population of the state is in the NE corner and it is heavily Democratic. It makes a difference, for sure, but not like what we see in Pennsylvania or Ohio.

For more information on what I'm talking about, the voters passed a Fair Districts amendment in 2010 with 63% of the vote. Governor Rick Scott pulled the amendment promising to "look at how it will be implemented". And it disappeared. Evidently there was a lawsuit, but that just kind of went away with no result too.

Compounding that is the fact that Florida gained seats in the last census. The fact that Illinois lost population and so did NY meant that the Dems in those states had to consolidate districts and did so to protect Dem seats. As a result Kinziger in Illinois lost his R lean district.
This is also what has happened in NY but the courts stepped in there.
Why is it ok in those states which you readily acknowledge are heavily gerrymandered and not ok in Florida?

Reactions: coloradonoles
Compounding that is the fact that Florida gained seats in the last census. The fact that Illinois lost population and so did NY meant that the Dems in those states had to consolidate districts and did so to protect Dem seats. As a result Kinziger in Illinois lost his R lean district.
This is also what has happened in NY but the courts stepped in there.
Why is it ok in those states which you readily acknowledge are heavily gerrymandered and not ok in Florida?
Kinzinger is actually my Rep. Well, he is for the next few months anyway. I have no idea which district I'll be in next. I disagreed with him on just about every issue but he always responded to my questions or letters that I wrote him so I can't say he was a bad Congressman. I just disagreed with him on the issues. I believe he is a very good man.

I never said gerrymandering was ok. It's not ok, but as long as red states gerrymander, blue states have to gerrymander and vice verca. It's why there needs to be an amendment to the Constitution to stop it because it can only be ended from the top down and all at the same time.

It will never happen though because it makes a Congressperson's job harder.

Why should Disney get special tax and regulation relief? Don't you believe in equity? Don't you hate evil big corporations? You wouldn't want special treatment for WOKE corps would you?

The problem is that they are only doing this because Disney disagreed with their bill.

It's not like the discussion has centered around if this is fair, the discussion has centered around "How do we punish Disney for disagreeing with us."

This is Republican Cancel culture.

At least the left just uses social pressure to cancel someone. Republicans will change the law against you if you openly disagree with them.

The problem is that they are only doing this because Disney disagreed with their bill.

It's not like the discussion has centered around if this is fair, the discussion has centered around "How do we punish Disney for disagreeing with us."

This is Republican Cancel culture.

At least the left just uses social pressure to cancel someone. Republicans will change the law against you if you openly disagree with them.
I agree with what the state is threatening to do. Why, because the state of Florida has tax payers of all ilks, liberal, conservative, gay, straight, young, old, you get the picture. So a company that is benefiting from all Floridians and all Americans for that matter, has an obligation to play it right down the middle. Don't take sides, don't rock the boat. They know people from all backgrounds are their customers and the state of Florida is supporting them by giving them these special cut outs in the law. So if you want to pick which side of the toast you are going to butter, you better be prepared for the other side to cry foul and that is what is happening.

Reactions: Hawkman34
I agree with what the state is threatening to do. Why, because the state of Florida has tax payers of all ilks, liberal, conservative, gay, straight, young, old, you get the picture. So a company that is benefiting from all Floridians and all Americans for that matter, has an obligation to play it right down the middle. Don't take sides, don't rock the boat. They know people from all backgrounds are their customers and the state of Florida is supporting them by giving them these special cut outs in the law. So if you want to pick which side of the toast you are going to butter, you better be prepared for the other side to cry foul and that is what is happening.

You could make that same claim about every major company.

If you want to go on the get companies out of politics route I'm fine with that. . . but you only seem to be turning that direction because the companies are turning against your views.

Because when the companies were all in on the right, they thought it was important that companies got to express their political views.

Reactions: cigaretteman
And again...Disney was SILENT on this when the bill NOT WRITTEN by the Governor was being considered.
After all Disney is an entertainment company.
And the fuss was created after the bill was signed not by the Florida employees-
But by a small vocal group of the California character performers.
No other business has made threats. A majority of the 80,000 Disney affiliated job holders have indicated they just want their employer to stay out of the limelight and welcome guests so they have job security.
Sometimes a boat just really doesn’t need rocking. Especially when it’s got an awesome docking situation.
I do actually know families who are not renewing annual passes and are no longer spending up to $5K a year to spend in Mouseville five or six times a year. Because of this nonsense.

Reactions: abby97

If you want to go on the get companies out of politics route I'm fine with that. . . but you only seem to be turning that direction because the companies are turning against your views.

Because when the companies were all in on the right, they thought it was important that companies got to express their political views.
Yep. Corporations are people after all. Republicans have told us this for years!

Reactions: ClarindaA's

I'm not sure what companies you are referring to that I agree with? I believe and have always believed that companies, especially consumer companies, need to stay out of politics. Why would any rational company want to alienate half of their customer base?

So change the entire tax regime. Sensible.

Florida historically created a unique tax scheme to draw people and businesses to the state. Maybe those aren’t the most beneficial to us any longer. We have so many people now who expect a certain level of services that revenue must provide. No income tax is one thing but roads still need to be built. Unless you don’t live and work here?

They had an opportunity to change the wording of the law to make it more general, but the Republicans voted against it.

The amendment proposed by Sen. Jeff Brandes, a Republican representing St. Petersburg, would've replaced the words "sexual orientation or gender identity" with "human sexuality or sexual activity."

This would mean that instruction about sexual activity, in general, would be banned for certain grade levels. Supporters of the amendment, including Equality Florida, said it was a step in the right direction, as debate over the bill has often conflated sexual orientation and sexual activity.

"If the intent of this bill isn’t to marginalize anyone, let’s make sure we aren’t," Brandes said during Monday's Senate Appropriations Committee.

The amendment failed on a party-line vote, with Brandes being the lone Republican to vote in support

PDF of amendment:

So I guess DeSantis DOES want to marginalize some Floridians. Doesn't seem very American.

Reactions: gohawks50
I believe and have always believed that companies, especially consumer companies, need to stay out of politics.
I am glad you support getting rid of corporare donations in politics as well as abolishing corporate lobbyists.

this is something the left and the right should easily be united on!

Reactions: gohawks50
Two years ago AT LEAST. 😂😂😂
The actual funny part is, you have, multiple times attacked me as a teacher since the Mod wrote this to you. I appreciate that it seems like maybe you've finally figured it out since I reposted it...because in those "Two years" since, you didn't learn anything.

Like I told you...attack me how you want to, but leave my job and the work I do with kids out of it, because it matters to me. Again, thank you.

And again...Disney was SILENT on this when the bill NOT WRITTEN by the Governor was being considered.
After all Disney is an entertainment company.
And the fuss was created after the bill was signed not by the Florida employees-
But by a small vocal group of the California character performers.
No other business has made threats. A majority of the 80,000 Disney affiliated job holders have indicated they just want their employer to stay out of the limelight and welcome guests so they have job security.
Sometimes a boat just really doesn’t need rocking. Especially when it’s got an awesome docking situation.
I do actually know families who are not renewing annual passes and are no longer spending up to $5K a year to spend in Mouseville five or six times a year. Because of this nonsense.
Not sure on the validity of your statement about the majority of employees wanting to stay out of this. Any polling available?
How good are you with the new standard of any company disagreeing with DeSantis and the state goes after them? Seems kind of like the cancel culture is running amok in Florida. Seems chilling towards businesses in Florida. Seems chilling towards employees.
How do you feel about the expenditure of state funds to defend the big lawsuit this will create?

The Villages have the same sort of deal where they govern their own property. Why isn’t DeSantis taking it away from them, too? Oh, because most of them are Republican voters. Pretty convenient he selected the date he did when The Villages created their deal just a few years later than Disney.

Funny thing is, this won’t impact Disney one bit and the people it will hurt the most will be the tax payers in the state of Florida. Essentially, he’s raising your taxes…by a lot.

The Villages have the same sort of deal where they govern their own property. Why isn’t DeSantis taking it away from them, too? Oh, because most of them are Republican voters. Pretty convenient he selected the date he did when The Villages created their deal just a few years later than Disney.

Funny thing is, this won’t impact Disney one bit and the people it will hurt the most will be the tax payers in the state of Florida. Essentially, he’s raising your taxes…by a lot.
The Villages, which I mentioned as indeed being a special district do tend to vote R. It’s one of over 1,000 - this is why there’s controversy within the Republican Party at the moment. It’s an old method of taxing and again as I’ve said it may have opened up a larger discussion about whether these districts should continue to exist.

I am glad you support getting rid of corporare donations in politics as well as abolishing corporate lobbyists.

this is something the left and the right should easily be united on!
Nice try, I never said that.

DeSantis just keeps winning, say it with me lefties....PRESIDENT DeSantis.
How is significantly raising taxes on Orange and Osceola county residents winning? Some of you need to take off the political blinders and understand that this war against Disney is one of the dumbest things DeSantis could do. There’s no reason at all a Florida resident should ever want Disney to fail considering how much revenue the company brings into the state.

ADVERTISEMENT