ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion The Senate’s victory on same-sex marriage should terrify the GOP

Just because Grandpa thinks "boys can be girls and girls can be boys" or that calling mothers "birthing people" is crazy talk doesn't make him a "bigot".
That's not what makes them bigots. It's things like opposing gay or interracial marriage, for example.

Case in point, maurice in this very thread. Hopefully you're not defending him too.

That's not what makes them bigots. It's things like opposing gay or interracial marriage, for example.

Case in point, maurice in this very thread. Hopefully you're not defending him too.
Hope you're not insinuating that I am....

I don't think fiscally conservative and socially progressive fit together very well.
Nonsense. I would venture to guess 60+% of Americans would identify this way if given the choice.

Most people want the government to: 1) provide basic societal services, 2) keep their hands off their paycheck, and 3) stay out of their homes/bedrooms.

The people who end up on tv twist the conservative/liberal notion into being all or nothing, when the majority of Americans’ political view points are a bell curve in the middle.

Didn't know that was required.

I think his post was inappropriate and wrong.

From now if you don't "denounce" someone elses post I'll just assume you agree with it.
If you have a question it's reasonable to ask.

Inappropriate and wrong - on the same level as a dirty joke in mixed company I guess.

I would go for appalling, but that's me.

That "bullet" was put away until Clarence Thomas put it back in the chamber. Progressives, Democrats and Independents will be happy to put this away again which is why there is a legislative bill to do so.
ANd now it'll be gone for the foreseeable future. So again, the only people who should be "terrified" are people that use it as a talking point to vilify the "other side".

ANd now it'll be gone for the foreseeable future. So again, the only people who should be "terrified" are people that use it as a talking point to vilify the "other side".
WTF are you talking about? The only way it will be gone is by codifying this into law. Thus the effort that you guys on the far right are whining about. The Democrats are not leaving this sit so they can use it for political reasons, they are fixing it. Contrast that with the republicans and immigration - they won't propose anything to actually fix that situation because they want to use it to spread fear among their base. That's true across the board with republicans - no policies, no proposals, only obstruction and fear mongering.

WTF are you talking about? The only way it will be gone is by codifying this into law. Thus the effort that you guys on the far right are whining about.
Which is happening - with republican support. So pay attention and keep up.
And who is "you guys"? Ive been in 100% support of this for years. Maybe someday you'll learn you're nowhere near the smartest person in the room and quit assuming.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
And who is "you guys"? Ive been in 100% support of this for years. Maybe someday you'll learn you're nowhere near the smartest person in the room and quit assuming.
Only because the Democrats are pursuing it. Stop pretending like there is widespread republican support of this - there's not. The Democrats are the ones addressing this issue, most of the republicans still choose to obstruct.

I fully realize I'm not the smartest person, but most definitely smarter than your dumb ass.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Only because the Democrats are pursuing it. Stop pretending like there is widespread republican support of this - there's not. The Democrats are the ones addressing this issue, most of the republicans still choose to obstruct.

I fully realize I'm not the smartest person, but most definitely smarter than your dumb ass.
Doesnt matter how it got passed, it got passed. So that bullet is out of chamber, like I originally said. No more fear mongering on that one - I know that upsets you, but im sure you'll find a way to cope...probably more elementary level insults on random forums.

• Haha
Doesnt matter how it got passed, it got passed. So that bullet is out of chamber, like I originally said. No more fear mongering on that one - I know that upsets you, but im sure you'll find a way to cope...probably more elementary level insults on random forums.
It hasn't been passed yet, dipshit. And if this was supported by republicans as you have suggested we should reasonably expect more than half the Senate to vote for it, at least. But that's not the case. Only 12 voted to advance the bill. 37 voted against it - a 2:1 ratio among republicans against this bill and you're trying to crow about the republican support of it. GTFO.

When it does pass it will be in the rearview mirror and the democrats will be focused on solving the other issues in front of them. And republicans will continue to obstruct.

It hasn't been passed yet, dipshit. And if this was supported by republicans as you have suggested we should reasonably expect more than half the Senate to vote for it, at least. But that's not the case. Only 12 voted to advance the bill. 37 voted against it - a 2:1 ratio among republicans against this bill and you're trying to crow about the republican support of it. GTFO.

When it does pass it will be in the rearview mirror and the democrats will be focused on solving the other issues in front of them. And republicans will continue to obstruct.
Is this your first time paying attention to a bill process? Procedural vote will always pass.
And as you said, it'll be in the rearview - hence they can no longer use it as ammo to villfy. So if we could fast forward through you inane drivel, we end right where we started. Next time, if you have nothing to add, just skip the blathering.

• Haha
Is this your first time paying attention to a bill process? Procedural vote will always pass.
And as you said, it'll be in the rearview - hence they can no longer use it as ammo to villfy. So if we could fast forward through you inane drivel, we end right where we started. Next time, if you have nothing to add, just skip the blathering.
You dumb shit - you're the one who claimed it had passed. It hasn't. JFC.

And the Democrats won't use it after it passes because they will be too busy trying to fix other issues.

It's funny when you argue against yourself. LOL - you're king of the self-own.

You dumb shit - you're the one who claimed it had passed. It hasn't. JFC.

And the Democrats won't use it after it passes because they will be too busy trying to fix other issues.

It's funny when you argue against yourself. LOL - you're king of the self-own.
Like i said, is this your first time watching a bill being passed.
And thank you for finally agreeing with me. Not sure why it took you a dozen posts restating what I've already said, but we got you there.

Like i said, is this your first time watching a bill being passed.
And thank you for finally agreeing with me. Not sure why it took you a dozen posts restating what I've already said, but we got you there.
Like you said - BWAAAAAHAHAHAHA. Here's what you said:

The bill hasn't passed - you were wrong. That "bullet" still needs to be fired. A few more of your republican brethren change their mind and the bill is in trouble again. And that could happen when those republicans get pressured by 2/3 of their caucus. But you go on claiming, wrongly, that the bill has already passed and this is now a non-issue. The rest of us will stick with reality.

One of the biggest differences between Democrats and republicans is that Dems work to SOLVE the issues to make America better where repubs work to USE the issues for their political gain.

Like you said - BWAAAAAHAHAHAHA. Here's what you said:

The bill hasn't passed - you were wrong. That "bullet" still needs to be fired. A few more of your republican brethren change their mind and the bill is in trouble again. And that could happen when those republicans get pressured by 2/3 of their caucus. But you go on claiming, wrongly, that the bill has already passed and this is now a non-issue. The rest of us will stick with reality.

One of the biggest differences between Democrats and republicans is that Dems work to SOLVE the issues to make America better where repubs work to USE the issues for their political gain.
Well, were on our third trip around in your twilight zone, so I'm going to just let float around in their awhile.
I'm glad you agree that this will no longer be a topic that can be used for fear mongering though. That was the entire point. Enjoy yelling at the wall though.

• Haha
I find it so incredibly sad that Iowa's own Chuck Grassley voted against this. I also think it's more than fair to label him a homophobic because of this.
I don't think that is fair, just because someone votes no to a bill doesn't mean they are against it. Maybe Chuck is a big ole homophobe, maybe he doesn't care what people do in their personal lives, maybe he doesn't think the federal government has the right to make laws about marriage. I have no idea why he voted no, and I am guessing you don't either. Or maybe there was something else in that bill that Chuck didn't like, politicians are known to do things like that. Call it one thing, headline with something, then throw a bunch of other things in there to make you look bad if you don't vote for it.

• Haha
Well, were on our third trip around in your twilight zone, so I'm going to just let float around in their awhile.
I'm glad you agree that this will no longer be a topic that can be used for fear mongering though. That was the entire point. Enjoy yelling at the wall though.
Your point was that the bill has already passed so it can't be an issue now. That's wrong. It's still an issue until it gets passed. THAT is the entire point.

By labeling this effort "fear mongering" it appears you do not support the marriage bill. Is that true? If so, why not? If you do support it, why is it "fear mongering"?

I don't think that is fair, just because someone votes no to a bill doesn't mean they are against it. Maybe Chuck is a big ole homophobe, maybe he doesn't care what people do in their personal lives, maybe he doesn't think the federal government has the right to make laws about marriage. I have no idea why he voted no, and I am guessing you don't either. Or maybe there was something else in that bill that Chuck didn't like, politicians are known to do things like that. Call it one thing, headline with something, then throw a bunch of other things in there to make you look bad if you don't vote for it.
Then let him identify what it is he is against. As such, there's no other interpretation than he's against this bill. And 2/3 of republican Senators agree with him.

Then let him identify what it is he is against. As such, there's no other interpretation than he's against this bill. And 2/3 of republican Senators agree with him.
I agree, that is what I am trying to say, let him clarify why he voted no before labeling him.

Your point was that the bill has already passed so it can't be an issue now. That's wrong. It's still an issue until it gets passed. THAT is the entire point.

By labeling this effort "fear mongering" it appears you do not support the marriage bill. Is that true? If so, why not? If you do support it, why is it "fear mongering"?
Nope, again showing you're lack of ability to read and/or comprehend. I clearly stated not only am I 100% in favor of the crux of the bill, I have been for many years.

Nope, again showing you're lack of ability to read and/or comprehend. I clearly stated not only am I 100% in favor of the crux of the bill, I have been for many years.
Yep - you were absolutely wrong that the bill has passed.

And the question was if you are supportive of this marriage bill passing. Simple yes or no will suffice and then an explanation, if you are for the bill passing, of why pushing this is "fear mongering" in your eyes. Or if the answer is no, why not?

FTR - I've played this game with you many times and I don't expect an answer. You will dance and spin but will avoid a direct answer if history repeats. It's funny.

Yep - you were absolutely wrong that the bill has passed.

And the question was if you are supportive of this marriage bill passing. Simple yes or no will suffice and then an explanation, if you are for the bill passing, of why pushing this is "fear mongering" in your eyes. Or if the answer is no, why not?

FTR - I've played this game with you many times and I don't expect an answer. You will dance and spin but will avoid a direct answer if history repeats. It's funny.
I cant answer anymore in the affirmative in regards to support. 3 times now in fact. You're inability for basic comprehension is a you problem.

I cant answer anymore in the affirmative in regards to support. 3 times now in fact. You're inability for basic comprehension is a you problem.
Again, you're wrong. You've never said you support the bill only that you support gay marriage or "the crux" of the bill. You've still not said a simple "yes, I support the bill". And you've also not explained your rationale about being for the passage of this bill to protect gay and interracial marriage while simultaneously claiming the Democrats proposing/pushing for this bill are "fear mongering".

Let's see some more of those spin moves. LOL

Again, you're wrong. You've never said you support the bill only that you support gay marriage or "the crux" of the bill. You've still not said a simple "yes, I support the bill". And you've also not explained your rationale about being for the passage of this bill to protect gay and interracial marriage while simultaneously claiming the Democrats proposing/pushing for this bill are "fear mongering".

Let's see some more of those spin moves. LOL
Blah blah blah im riley, i cant read. I like to yell at clouds.

Blah blah blah im riley, i cant read. I like to yell at clouds.
LOL - called it. LOL. You won't answer and you won't ever admit you are wrong. So insecure. But by all means, carry on. It's highly entertaining.

LOL - called it. LOL. You won't answer and you won't ever admit you are wrong. So insecure. But by all means, carry on. It's highly entertaining.
You can't read and/or comprehend the most explicitly written statements, so I might as well just keep poking you since your response is going to be the same regardless.

You can't read and/or comprehend the most explicitly written statements, so I might as well just keep poking you since your response is going to be the same regardless.
Please cite the post where you answered with a definitive yes or no. Or the one where you explained the reason you support the marriage bill while claiming the Dem support of it is "fear mongering".

We all know you will come back with some other lame response that doesn't address the questions posed, but it's always fun making you dance.

Please cite the post where you answered with a definitive yes or no. Or the one where you explained the reason you support the marriage bill while claiming the Dem support of it is "fear mongering".

We all know you will come back with some other lame response that doesn't address the questions posed, but it's always fun making you dance.
Post #52. Now hush.

• Haha
Post #52. Now hush.
And look, not one yes or no in that post. LOL. This bill hasn't been in the works for years - there was no need until recently.

You can't help yourself.

And look, not one yes or no in that post. LOL. This bill hasn't been in the works for years - there was no need until recently.

You can't help yourself.
Youre trying way too hard. That post cannot be any more clear in the affirmative. I'm sorry you're burdened with the plight of comprehension abilities akin to a toddler, but that's your issue, and no one needs to acquiesce to your woefully inept abilities.

• Haha
Youre trying way too hard. That post cannot be any more clear in the affirmative. I'm sorry you're burdened with the plight of comprehension abilities akin to a toddler, but that's your issue, and no one needs to acquiesce to your woefully inept abilities.
LOL - showing you your ass is easy peasy. All I have to do is use your own attempts to deflect and refusals to provide a direct answer as exposure. You won't answer with a simple yes or no to whether you support the marriage bill being proposed in Congress. You won't provide an explanation either.

The funny thing is you think you're being coy when, in actuality, everyone else recognizes it as weakness and insecurity. You're special in that regard.

Again, exposing you has been fun.

LOL - showing you your ass is easy peasy. All I have to do is use your own attempts to deflect and refusals to provide a direct answer as exposure. You won't answer with a simple yes or no to whether you support the marriage bill being proposed in Congress. You won't provide an explanation either.

The funny thing is you think you're being coy when, in actuality, everyone else recognizes it as weakness and insecurity. You're special in that regard.

Again, exposing you has been fun.
For the fourth time, your reading comprehension ineptitude is no else's shortcoming except your own.

If you're so confident, make a public poll asking if "100% in support of" is synonymous with "being in support of"..... :rolleyes:

• Haha
people's political views change. Many progressives, especially white progressives who move into middle class and above, become a bit more conservative as they start feeling the brunt of taxes; and especially as they get older and their formerly progressive ideas are now attacked by a new group of progressives and called archaic.
The GOP has none nothing to help 99% of the people with taxes in the last fifty years. For several years the GOP has done nothing but try to be re-elected.

Reactions: gohawks50
ADVERTISEMENT