ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion Vote for Liz Cheney. (I never thought I’d say that.)

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
By E.J. Dionne Jr.
Columnist |
July 20, 2022 at 5:25 p.m. EDT

Vote for Cheney. Now there is a sentence I never expected to write.
Yes, I hope that every Democrat and every moderate and progressive-minded unaffiliated voter in Wyoming crosses into the Republican primary on Aug. 16, which they can do under state law, and votes for Rep. Liz Cheney.
She needs them all — though a huge non-GOP turnout still may not save her. A Mason-Dixon poll for the Casper Star-Tribune released last week showed Cheney running behind Trump-backed attorney Harriet Hageman, 52 percent to 30 percent.
This disheartening finding is a tribute to Cheney’s courage in standing up against Donald Trump in a state where the election-denying prevaricator won 70 percent of the vote in 2020.
The Fix: ‘He is not an impressionable child’: Cheney lays marker on Trump, crime
She has long known what the Star-Tribune poll found: that her eloquent leading role in the hearings investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection — poised to reach a climactic point on Thursday — hurt her with the party faithful back home.
Analysis: Why would Liz Cheney choose this fight if she didn't believe in it?
Among likely Wyoming Republican primary voters, the Star-Tribune survey found, 63 percent disapproved of Cheney’s decision to serve on the House select committee, while 54 percent said her performance on the panel made them less likely to vote for her. Just 22 percent said they were pushed her way by her mastery at the hearings, which have made her an unexpectedly beloved star among so many elsewhere who disagree with her on almost every policy issue.
Let there be no illusions about Trump’s power with GOP loyalists. His hold over his party was underscored again on Tuesday, when Maryland state legislator Dan Cox, a Trump-backed election denier, won the Republican gubernatorial primary over Kelly Schulz, a former Cabinet secretary to term-limited Gov. Larry Hogan (R). That Schulz had a shot at winning in November by maintaining Hogan’s cross-party appeal in one of the most anti-Trump states in the nation mattered not a whit to a majority of Maryland Republicans. (And, by the way, even if you disapprove of putatively negative Democratic ads lifting up Cox’s Trumpiness to weaken Schulz, those commercials did not force a single Republican to vote for him.)
The Post's View: Maryland GOP helps Trump -- but likely hurts itself -- with gubernatorial pick
If the GOP isn’t safe from Trumpism in Maryland, it’s not safe anywhere. It’s no wonder that Cheney and Rep. Adam Kinzinger of Illinois, the other Republican member of the Jan. 6 committee, are so lonely. They have been the inquiry’s most persuasive voices precisely because of the political risks they have taken. (Kinzinger decided not even to try to win reelection.) They are paying the highest political price for insisting upon airing the truth.
Greg Sargent: Liz Cheney’s harsh new attack on Trump is a plea for GOP sanity
Committee Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (Miss.) and his Democratic colleagues understood this from the start and assigned Cheney the role of explicator, narrator and chief prosecutor. It was equally shrewd of them to give Kinzinger the lead role in Thursday’s hearing, which is expected to provide a minute-by-minute account of Trump’s determination to delay calling off the rampaging crowd because he hoped it would prevent the certification of his defeat.
A political party that believed in democracy and the rule of law would long ago have disowned a president who relished violence that served his interests. Its leaders would say things like: “The president bears responsibility for Wednesday’s attack on Congress by mob rioters. He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding.”

Actually, briefly, they did. That wasn’t Cheney or Kinzinger speaking. Those are the words of House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), a week after the attack.
Since then, however, McCarthy and most of his party have re-embraced Trump and downplayed the violent coup attempt at the Capitol, and McCarthy subsequently supported ousting Cheney from her party leadership position. Her sin? She stayed true to what McCarthy claimed to believe back when breaking with Trump seemed politically convenient.
Liz Cheney op-ed: The GOP is at a turning point. History is watching us.
This is why Democrats and unaffiliated voters (Wyoming’s version of independents) who understand the threat of Trumpism should flood into Wyoming’s Republican primary. Whether or not their efforts sustain Cheney, they would send a message for November: that the threat to democracy is the most important issue on the ballot. Standing with democracy’s defenders, even if you disagree with them on many other issues, should take priority.
By supporting Cheney in large numbers, Democrats would strengthen their case to moderate Republicans and unaffiliated voters whose votes they need, underscoring the urgency of a unified effort against Trumpism — and against McCarthyism (of the Kevin variety), which is spineless flip-flopping on the moral issue of the age.
We can only hope for a time when progressives will again battle with Cheney over her very, very conservative views on a broad range of questions. Supporting her now does not require disowning a single position. It means hastening the day when our debates — about programs and policies, Supreme Court decisions and regulatory choices — can take place outside the shadows threatening the democratic process that allows us to make those choices at the ballot box.

She gone.

You are elected to represent your constituents. She failed that part.

My nephew lives out there. He said Biden won Jackson Co which is a big deal in those parts.
So here constituents wanted her to be a traitor and not honor the oath she took when she was elected into office? It seems like she represented her constituents pretty damn well and evidently, much better than they obviously deserve.

So here constituents wanted her to be a traitor and not honor the oath she took when she was elected into office? It seems like she represented her constituents pretty damn well and evidently, much better than they obviously deserve.
Sometimes representing the will of the people you represent may put you on the wrong side of history. But you’re there to be their voice not decide for them what is right.

Sometimes representing the will of the people you represent may put you on the wrong side of history. But you’re there to be their voice not decide for them what is right.
When your constituents support a seditious, unconstitutional attempt to overthrow the fairly elected government of the United States of America, you have a sworn duty to protect and defend the constitution of the Unites States. No ifs, ands, or buts. Every Republican Senator who voted not to accept the Electoral College votes violated their oaths of office and deserve to be removed, and all Republican House members who voted against holding Trump accountable for his actions deserves the same.

So, in your opinion, the will of the people should override the constitutional oath she took for her office. I don't agree. I would assume she was voted in to abide by the constitution.

So, in your opinion, the will of the people should override the constitutional oath she took for her office. I don't agree. I would assume she was voted in to abide by the constitution.
On an individual basis I can’t go vote on bills that’s why we elect REPRESENTATIVES. they’re there to represent me and MY vote… yes they’re supposed to uphold the constitution, no they’re not supposed to support an insurrection. They are however supposed to be the voice for the people that sent them. If our elected officials just go rogue on every vote of every bill, then they have failed to accurately represent the will of the people and substituted it for their own. And they’re free to do that, but there’s gonna be consequences at the ballot.

There are almost more people in the city limits of Sacramento than in all of Wyoming. Not the greater Sacramento area, just the city limits.
It's just the sixth largest city in CA.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Liz Cheney will be remembered historically as an iconic American hero who put country and the constitution above her political career. Meanwhile, Trump will be relegated to the dust bin of history as one of the most failed and corrupt presidents joining the ranks of two of the worst, James Buchanan and Warren Harding.

I think the duty to uphold the Constitution, follow the rule of law and maintain the strength of the nation rank higher than being beholden to the whims of the will of the people.

Reactions: IaHawk44
I think the duty to uphold the Constitution, follow the rule of law and maintain the strength of the nation rank higher than being beholden to the whims of the will of the people.
And that’s why you probably wont ever be a senator and if you did, you wouldn’t be there long.

Good, glad to see you believe a nut like Elena Kagan should be impeached.

Reactions: ICHerky
On an individual basis I can’t go vote on bills that’s why we elect REPRESENTATIVES. they’re there to represent me and MY vote… yes they’re supposed to uphold the constitution, no they’re not supposed to support an insurrection. They are however supposed to be the voice for the people that sent them. If our elected officials just go rogue on every vote of every bill, then they have failed to accurately represent the will of the people and substituted it for their own. And they’re free to do that, but there’s gonna be consequences at the ballot.
Close but not quite. LC was elected to be their representative; meaning she represents the residents in her district in matters requiring legislative approval. She was (presumably) elected based on her stated values, beliefs, policy positions, etc.

As far as I can tell, she has faithfully fulfilled her duties and obligations and stayed true to those things that got her elected. She is certainly under no obligation to simply parrot the whims of misinformed voices from her constituency.

Reactions: IaHawk44
Close but not quite. LC was elected to be their representative; meaning she represents the residents in her district in matters requiring legislative approval. She was (presumably) elected based on her stated values, beliefs, policy positions, etc.

As far as I can tell, she has faithfully fulfilled her duties and obligations and stayed true to those things that got her elected. She is certainly under no obligation to simply parrot the whims of misinformed voices from her constituency.
Yeah you’re under no real obligation to listen to your boss… just don’t be surprised when you get promoted to customer.

Reactions: 24 so far
Here is the repub who will end up defeating LC

This is a perfect visual representation of why the GOP has no hope until they purge the idiots. Cheney was 90+ percent voter with Trump, who is also from one of the most hardcore conservative ( what used to be conservative) families in American politics. But because she didn't accept a grown man acting like a child throwing a temper tantrum, she is cast aside for a woman who espouses unsubstantiated internet conspiracy theories. This woman has also been embraced by the voters, because that damn Cheney hates Trump, freaking pathetic.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
This is a perfect visual representation of why the GOP has no hope until they purge the idiots. Cheney was 90+ percent voter with Trump, who is also from one of the most hardcore conservative ( what used to be conservative) families in American politics. But because she didn't accept a grown man acting like a child throwing a temper tantrum, she is cast aside for a woman who espouses unsubstantiated internet conspiracy theories. This woman has also been embraced by the voters, because that damn Cheney hates Trump, freaking pathetic.
You’re not going to cry are you?

No, are you going to cry?
Sorry if I touched a nerve concerning the idiocy of people who embrace unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.
I don’t know, I have 10 and 12 year old daughters, I know what whining and crying sounds like… you’re checking all the boxes

• Haha
Reactions: NoleinATL
I don’t know, I have 10 and 12 year old daughters, I know what whining and crying sounds like… you’re checking all the boxes
You dont know if you are going to cry? That is interesting and at the same time sad that an adult doesn't understand their own emotions.

That said, I am not sure what part of my post prompts you to feel I am emotional, but I can assure you I am not, just stating an opinion. IMO, people that embrace conspiracies as Hageman has are idiots. The fact people choose to vote for an idiot such as Hageman does not speak well for the voting patterns of a party.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Maybe the time is right for a 3rd party. Cheney has the goods. It isn't going to happen overnight, but the R party is in trouble.

• Haha
Reactions: KFsdisciple
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT