ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion What Liz Cheney and other honorable Republicans should do next

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Felon, former president and presidential candidate Donald Trump has dominated — devoured, actually — the Republican Party. Virtually every elected official bends to his will to endorse him or follow his edicts; the party has jettisoned any consistent policy principles in favor of blind obedience to his impulses. And nearly all Republicans who have crossed him have been either defeated or compelled to retire.

Still, over the years when Never Trumpers were asked whether they still belonged to the GOP, they would often respond: “Yes, I’m not willing to concede the party to Trump.” They imagined the “battle for the soul of the Republican Party” was ongoing. That has become a harder belief to sustain as any sliver of opposition has melted away.
Former congresswoman Liz Cheney’s response on “Meet the Press” Sunday to the question as to whether she is a Republican was therefore telling. “I’m a conservative. I’m not a member of this — I do not consider myself a member of Donald Trump’s Republican Party.” Cheney did not quite shut the door on remaining in the party, but she did acknowledge that so long as it is “Trump’s Republican Party” there is no place for conservatives of good conscience.

Unless Trump loses so decisively as to trigger a mass renunciation of his movement (highly unlikely), Cheney and similar Republicans’ futures will likely be outside the MAGA-corrupted Republican Party. Republicans who have opposed Trump, and gone the extra mile to endorse Vice President Kamala Harris, have several alternatives after the election.
Follow Jennifer Rubin
First, they could occupy the right flank of the Democratic Party, as the Democratic Leadership Council did in the late 1980s and early 1990s, ultimately lifting Bill Clinton to the presidency. Although they could continue to disagree on several key policy issues (e.g., abortion), they would aim to guide the party toward the center, advocating fiscal discipline and resisting radical left voices on issues such as policing and Israel.
There are some obvious drawbacks to this approach. Although conservative Republicans turned Democrats might make it to the general election in some solid red states and districts, their chances of winning primary races elsewhere are low. (Although in places such as California they might well make the top two in so-called jungle primaries.) Aside from the ideological clashes and low prospects for electoral wins, this option would leave the country still with a single pro-democracy, normal party.

A second option would be a third party (perhaps the “Rule of Law Party" or the “Lincoln Party”). It might begin in state and congressional elections, gaining steam to compete in statewide and presidential contests.
The drawbacks to third parties are well known. Voters resist “throwing away” their votes on parties without a track record of wins, and ballot qualification requirements can be hard to surmount. Moreover, the potential to split the non-MAGA vote and actually help the MAGA GOP is real. The utter failure in this cycle of the No Labels effort — if you’ve already forgotten about it, that’s understandable — underscores the difficulties.
Now, in places where Democrats have no chance, it might make sense for them to stand down, letting an alternative conservative party run. The Senate race in Nebraska featuring independent Dan Osburn will be telling. Although he’s not representing a third party, his win could indicate an opening for an organized center-right party to run in Democrat-averse districts.

A third option — a fusion party — may prove the most intriguing. In 2022, I wrote about such an effort in New Jersey’s 7th Congressional District by a new Moderate Party. I shared at the time:
The Moderate Party was recently formed by a group of New Jersey Republicans, Independents, and Democrats turned off by both major parties’ drift to ideological extremes, and creates a home for pragmatic, middle of the road voters committed to protecting our democratic institutions. Unlike most third parties, the Moderate Party will offer its support, and the validation that comes with it, to the major party candidates who best reflect its values, restoring to centrist voters the voice and leverage they have lost.
Like this and fusion parties in New York (e.g., the Conservative Party, the Working Families Party), a new center-right party could endorse candidates from either of the two major parties who best match its ideological criteria, thereby enticing both parties to adhere to those principles. Not unlike Cheney’s and Adam Kinzinger’s endorsements of Harris and of former Texas Democratic representative Colin Allred (running to unseat Sen. Ted Cruz) in this election, a formal fusion party could weigh in on a list of races around the country.
This option is not altogether satisfactory either. Politicians such as Cheney aim not merely to influence those who hold power but also to win office and govern themselves. Without their own candidates and party, positions that neither major party advances (e.g., free trade, fiscal restraint, limited executive power) would simply go by the wayside.

In an ideal world from Cheney’s perspective, devastating MAGA losses in another election cycle or two would wipe it out and leave the remnants of the party for her to sweep up and reconstitute into a viable, pro-democracy party. But given polarization and heavy gerrymandering, wipeout elections might be a thing of the past. That means even after a Trump defeat, the MAGA GOP might be here to stay. Cheney and others will therefore need to experiment — perhaps combining one or more of the options outlined above.
First and foremost, however, for the good of Cheney’s country, her former party and her ideals, Trump must go down, decisively, to defeat. Only then can something new emerge.

The only thing that will cleanse the GOP is the aging and ultimate death of the hard-core maggots and for moderate Republicans voting for Dems until that day. The former will take time but the latter could happen today.
A new conservative party needs to born. The GOP is dead and never returning.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Felon, former president and presidential candidate Donald Trump has dominated — devoured, actually — the Republican Party. Virtually every elected official bends to his will to endorse him or follow his edicts; the party has jettisoned any consistent policy principles in favor of blind obedience to his impulses. And nearly all Republicans who have crossed him have been either defeated or compelled to retire.

Still, over the years when Never Trumpers were asked whether they still belonged to the GOP, they would often respond: “Yes, I’m not willing to concede the party to Trump.” They imagined the “battle for the soul of the Republican Party” was ongoing. That has become a harder belief to sustain as any sliver of opposition has melted away.
Former congresswoman Liz Cheney’s response on “Meet the Press” Sunday to the question as to whether she is a Republican was therefore telling. “I’m a conservative. I’m not a member of this — I do not consider myself a member of Donald Trump’s Republican Party.” Cheney did not quite shut the door on remaining in the party, but she did acknowledge that so long as it is “Trump’s Republican Party” there is no place for conservatives of good conscience.

Unless Trump loses so decisively as to trigger a mass renunciation of his movement (highly unlikely), Cheney and similar Republicans’ futures will likely be outside the MAGA-corrupted Republican Party. Republicans who have opposed Trump, and gone the extra mile to endorse Vice President Kamala Harris, have several alternatives after the election.
Follow Jennifer Rubin
First, they could occupy the right flank of the Democratic Party, as the Democratic Leadership Council did in the late 1980s and early 1990s, ultimately lifting Bill Clinton to the presidency. Although they could continue to disagree on several key policy issues (e.g., abortion), they would aim to guide the party toward the center, advocating fiscal discipline and resisting radical left voices on issues such as policing and Israel.
There are some obvious drawbacks to this approach. Although conservative Republicans turned Democrats might make it to the general election in some solid red states and districts, their chances of winning primary races elsewhere are low. (Although in places such as California they might well make the top two in so-called jungle primaries.) Aside from the ideological clashes and low prospects for electoral wins, this option would leave the country still with a single pro-democracy, normal party.

A second option would be a third party (perhaps the “Rule of Law Party" or the “Lincoln Party”). It might begin in state and congressional elections, gaining steam to compete in statewide and presidential contests.
The drawbacks to third parties are well known. Voters resist “throwing away” their votes on parties without a track record of wins, and ballot qualification requirements can be hard to surmount. Moreover, the potential to split the non-MAGA vote and actually help the MAGA GOP is real. The utter failure in this cycle of the No Labels effort — if you’ve already forgotten about it, that’s understandable — underscores the difficulties.
Now, in places where Democrats have no chance, it might make sense for them to stand down, letting an alternative conservative party run. The Senate race in Nebraska featuring independent Dan Osburn will be telling. Although he’s not representing a third party, his win could indicate an opening for an organized center-right party to run in Democrat-averse districts.

A third option — a fusion party — may prove the most intriguing. In 2022, I wrote about such an effort in New Jersey’s 7th Congressional District by a new Moderate Party. I shared at the time:

Like this and fusion parties in New York (e.g., the Conservative Party, the Working Families Party), a new center-right party could endorse candidates from either of the two major parties who best match its ideological criteria, thereby enticing both parties to adhere to those principles. Not unlike Cheney’s and Adam Kinzinger’s endorsements of Harris and of former Texas Democratic representative Colin Allred (running to unseat Sen. Ted Cruz) in this election, a formal fusion party could weigh in on a list of races around the country.
This option is not altogether satisfactory either. Politicians such as Cheney aim not merely to influence those who hold power but also to win office and govern themselves. Without their own candidates and party, positions that neither major party advances (e.g., free trade, fiscal restraint, limited executive power) would simply go by the wayside.

In an ideal world from Cheney’s perspective, devastating MAGA losses in another election cycle or two would wipe it out and leave the remnants of the party for her to sweep up and reconstitute into a viable, pro-democracy party. But given polarization and heavy gerrymandering, wipeout elections might be a thing of the past. That means even after a Trump defeat, the MAGA GOP might be here to stay. Cheney and others will therefore need to experiment — perhaps combining one or more of the options outlined above.
First and foremost, however, for the good of Cheney’s country, her former party and her ideals, Trump must go down, decisively, to defeat. Only then can something new emerge.
Liz Cheney is far from honorable.

Liz Cheney Accused of Unethical Behavior Surrounding Jan. 6 Committee After New Text Messages Surface​

Reactions: abby97
The only thing that will cleanse the GOP is the aging and ultimate death of the hard-core maggots and for moderate Republicans voting for Dems until that day. The former will take time but the latter could happen today.
And when that day comes, you people will bestow the title of POS upon those “moderate” republicans, just as you did with Reagan, HW, W, etc. Trump sure as hell wasn’t the first Republican to make you all go “Reeeeeeee!!!!!”

Reactions: ICHerky and abby97
There is no third party that will wipe away the current GOP.

The GOP isn't being wiped away, it's morphing into a different animal,.. And the transition will accelerate as the old guard power structure dies off,.. Same thing is happening in the Democrat party, albeit in a different direction, on a different schedule...

The GOP isn't being wiped away, it's morphing into a different animal,.. And the transition will accelerate as the old guard power structure dies off,.. Same thing is happening in the Democrat party, albeit in a different direction, on a different schedule...
What the fook are you talking about?

• Haha
A decisive defeat of Trump in November could be the start of
the reset of the Republican party. If Trump dies in the next few
years that would also accelerate the end of MAGA. The good
news is that at the age of 78, Donald Trump will not be around
forever. The Republican party picked up the pieces after the
defeat of Barry Goldwater for President. The GOP can do it again.

What the fook are you talking about?
Sometimes I think I can understand Rifler. He's saying the GOP is turning towards more of a Handmaid's Tale type of party, controlled by rich white men who have the most rights, which he supports, while the Democrats are actually trying to do things for everyone, which he does NOT support. I hope that helps. :)

Follow Jennifer Rubin

Both parties have lacked serious people in Congress that want to make the country better. All they want is to get re-elected and push their own personal agendas. When political parties act like enemies it's pretty easy for voters to fall into the same trap. Look no further than HBOT for evidence

I couldn't believe my ears when Mitch McConnell said out loud, that the goal was to make Obama a one-term President - then proceed to block legislation and a SCOTUS nominee - just to strengthen his party vs making the country better.

I think it's going stay like this for a very long time. Liz Cheney isn't going to move the needle one bit.

LOL - A trump victory will restore order in the fatherland. We MAGA's will ensure this movement picks up steam and snowballs for the next 100 years.

Reactions: soonerinlOUisiana
I love the idea of a Fusion Party. A moderate alternative that doesn't take a position on abortion, gay marriage, LBGTQ issues, etc. But a party focused on the economy, security, healthcare, trade and so on.

The republican party is dead. Likely forever. I respectfully disagree with @LuteHawk about a decisive defeat serving as the potential reset of the party. I actually believe the opposite. A trump win, and the complete and utter shitshow that comes with it (infighting, violence, recession, lack of action, J6x2) may be the only thing to bring real republicans back to the ticket.

• Haha
Do you consider sex changes in prison for convicted murderers a 'moderate' position?
You mean the same policy that was in place in federal prisons under Trump?

• In 2019, Vice President Kamala Harris did express support for a policy that would give access to trans people who depend on state-funded health care — including inmates and detained immigrants — to gender-affirming care, which includes surgery.
  • Harris and her campaign have declined to say whether she still supported it in 2024.
  • However, it has been the policy in federal prisons since at least 2016, according to Bureau of Federal Prisons' guidance issued in 2016 and updated in 2022. Both President Donald Trump and President Joe Biden have maintained it. The policy follows the medical recommendations of every major medical association in the U.S.
  • In 2022, a court ordered the first gender-affirming surgery for a trans federal inmate, affirming this long-standing policy. In 2023, the U.S. Supreme Court allowed an appeal to stand that ruled gender dysphoria could be included in the Americans with Disabilities Act.
You tell me? Is it a 'moderate' position, or not?

You mean the same policy that was in place in federal prisons under Trump?

• In 2019, Vice President Kamala Harris did express support for a policy that would give access to trans people who depend on state-funded health care — including inmates and detained immigrants — to gender-affirming care, which includes surgery.
  • Harris and her campaign have declined to say whether she still supported it in 2024.
  • However, it has been the policy in federal prisons since at least 2016, according to Bureau of Federal Prisons' guidance issued in 2016 and updated in 2022. Both President Donald Trump and President Joe Biden have maintained it. The policy follows the medical recommendations of every major medical association in the U.S.
  • In 2022, a court ordered the first gender-affirming surgery for a trans federal inmate, affirming this long-standing policy. In 2023, the U.S. Supreme Court allowed an appeal to stand that ruled gender dysphoria could be included in the Americans with Disabilities Act.
You tell me? Is it a 'moderate' position, or not?

Did you just google that or did you know it already? Is this actually a significant issue for people?

Already knew it. Harris dealt with the question earlier.

Got it. Well, I'd argue moderate people don't give a shit about something seemingly obscure. We have a ton of prisoners, but the frequency of sex changes in prisons is probably in the few-several thousand range? I'd argue there's way bigger fish to fry within prisons than sex changes. Not to mention topics not related to prisons.

No, I don't think it is moderate at all.

Will you answer the question, or dodge it again?
i'll answer...no, not a moderate position

now...do you think it is disingenuous to highlight a candidates stated support for a policy that was in place during their opponents entire previous term in office?

Reactions: cigaretteman
No, I don't think it is moderate at all.

Will you answer the question, or dodge it again?
Sooooo...a policy that was the law under both Trump and Biden, is recommended by every medical association in the U.S., and has been affirmed by Trump's SC isn't 'moderate"?

Here's your answer...that's not a policy problem, that's a YOU problem.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
i'll answer...no, not a moderate position

now...do you think it is disingenuous to highlight a candidates stated support for a policy that was in place during their opponents entire previous term in office?

How many prisoner sex change operations happened during Trump's entire previous term in office?

The answer was provided in the interview: zero.

What do you think happens to that policy next year if Trump is elected instead of Harris?

I'm willing to bet you if Trump is elected it is rescinded, and if Harris is elected it is not. Game?

Sooooo...a policy that was the law under both Trump and Biden, is recommended by every medical association in the U.S., and has been affirmed by Trump's SC isn't 'moderate"?

Here's your answer...that's not a policy problem, that's a YOU problem.

So much squirming, not much answering.

Do YOU think it is a moderate position?

Anyone else get a kick out of the zero hedge guy always being persistent about posters answering his questions but rarely if ever answers the questions directed his way? So much squirming.

How many prisoner sex change operations happened during Trump's entire previous term in office?

The answer was provided in the interview: zero.

What do you think happens to that policy next year if Trump is elected instead of Harris?

I'm willing to bet you if Trump is elected it is rescinded, and if Harris is elected it is not. Game?
i don't really care about this policy...you know just like everyone else including trump and his supporters while he was in office

I think it's funny that the only felon that the Dems hate is Trump. Every other felon they're trying their darndest to either get out of jail, help sneak into the country or vote. And if it's a male, help them move to women's prisons so they can be more rapey.

Reactions: seminole97
Less insanity than the alternative.
while acknowledging that trump's first administration was equally insane

or you can admit that this is something you only started caring about recently...it's ok...you're no different than trump himself in that regard

You didn't ask me, but I'm curious what your angle is here? I can't say I've spent any time considering well anything about sex changes in prison for convicted murderers. Is this a significant issue for you or people you know?
I've never thought about abortion.

Now look at which one of the topics being discussed requires tax payers to foot the bill.

So much squirming, not much answering.

Do YOU think it is a moderate position?
I guess I have to spell it out. Of course. It was federal policy under two highly disparate presidents. It's recommended as policy by every major medical association in the country. It's been affirmed by a highly conservative SCOTUS.

So are they ALL extremists? Or it it you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT