ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion Whoops, we forgot women could still vote

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
So this is a little embarrassing, but we may have gotten so carried away trying to pass abortion restrictions that we sort of forgot women could still vote! A mind-fart, for sure! When you are sitting there legislating about someone as though they are not there at all — a someone with no rights the state is bound to respect, neither to control what occurs within the bounds of their own body nor, necessarily, to life, even — you can be forgiven for thinking, “Well, this cannot possibly apply to a large swath of the voting population! This isn’t the kind of law you pass about fellow voters! They would say something, probably!”

And, well, they did! Yes, it turns out that women can still vote. Oops! Our bad! Actually, so can everyone else this law would affect, both the pregnant people whose bodies it would presume to control and those who just don’t want that kind of thing happening to their fellow citizens in general! And none of them are pleased! Yikes! They turned out in droves and voted against rolling back the Kansas constitution’s protections for abortion by a pretty overwhelming margin — more than 58 percent voting to preserve them!

You can kind of see why we were thinking this way, though. We thought everybody had already been divided into voters and vessels. The voters got to pass restrictions, and the vessels got to sit there and smile! It’s an easy mistake to make when you are running around the country wildly stripping people’s rights not to be forced to give birth and threatening the livelihoods of those who would offer them correct medical advice that would keep them from dying or suffering cruelly. Those aren’t going to be people you see as equals — certainly not as fully realized people who can vote. That was sort of my assumption, and I’ve been rebuked for it now!

ADVERTISING

It really gives you pause: Can you actually force significant life choices down fellow voters’ throats, as though they are not your peers under law? And have it be a successful strategy?
Apparently not like this!
But don’t worry. We are chastened, and we won’t repeat this error: We are working very hard on tightening the voting process. Soon, only the ballots we believe in are going to count.
Yes, we did our best to make the messaging as confusing as we could, and, sure, we’ve been working to make it harder to register to vote, but we can always do better. No, not at realizing that this isn’t a winning approach and we should stop trying to take our fellow citizens’ rights away. Certainly not at treating those affected by abortion restrictions as people whose rights deserve respect. But just at fixing this voting oversight.
It seems too clear. People with the ability to choose won’t choose us, so there’s only one solution to securing less choice: less choice.

44% of registered voters in KS are republican...so, no, not really overwhelming.

For perspective:

TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNW) — The Kansas Secretary of State’s Office tracks voter registration information. Its website shows how many Kansans have registered as Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, or unaffiliated.

As of mid-July, the website shows:

851,882 Republicans
495,574 Democrats
22,207 Libertarians
560,309 unaffiliated

TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNW) — The Kansas Secretary of State’s Office tracks voter registration information. Its website shows how many Kansans have registered as Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, or unaffiliated.

851,882 Republicans
495,574 Democrats
22,207 Libertarians
560,309 unaffiliated
Hmmmm..... no wonder TJ wouldn't answer the question. LOL.

For perspective:

851,882 Republicans
495,574 Democrats
22,207 Libertarians
560,309 unaffiliated
Thank you for repeating exactly what I already posted. You seem to have the same virus afflicting @RileyHawk causing you to read things that aren't written.

Thank you for repeating exactly what I already posted. You seem to have the same virus afflicting @RileyHawk causing you to read things that aren't written.
Lol. You disingenuous asshole. You posted only one portion of the pie and when asked to disclose the rest you bailed. art posted facts that weren't written by you and exposed you for the putz you are.

Some guest idiot on Fox today tried making the excuse that lefties spent an exorbitant amount of $$$ on ads to influence voters.

Duh!!!! That's how you get your message across.

I'm sure the RNC spends the rest of this week trying to figure out how to combat voter outrage. Might explain their strategy to try and intimidate voters at the polling sites.

Both Senators are Republican
Three of the four Congressmen are Republican
State House is 86/39 Republican
State Senate is 29/11 Republican
Trump beat Biden by 15%

It’s pretty overwhelming red.
44% of voters are Republican. This wasn't a senate, rep, or state election - was it?

• Haha
Reactions: runkpanole
Lol. You disingenuous asshole. You posted only one portion of the pie and when asked to disclose the rest you bailed. art posted facts that weren't written by you and exposed you for the putz you are.
44% are registered as Republican, correct? Meaning 56% are not, correct?
61% of the US population generally supports abortion, correct?
So 58% of the vote isn't "overwhelming", is it? It's right in line for what's to be expected, correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom

For perspective:

851,882 Republicans
495,574 Democrats
22,207 Libertarians
560,309 unaffiliated
Good info, and thanks.
FYI since some like to forget...a sizable number of Republicans - largely female - also do not oppose abortion either. Just because they wouldn’t want one they don’t necessarily believe another woman shouldn’t have the freedom to choose.
And the very large group of independents in KS are more likely to support the idea of choice as well.
The issue is not proving to be the game changer the Democrats hope for and if the Republicans have any brains at all they’ll see this result and move on to the big things affecting ALL Americans - like inflation. It IS “the economy, stupid”.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Some guest idiot on Fox today tried making the excuse that lefties spent an exorbitant amount of $$$ on ads to influence voters.

Duh!!!! That's how you get your message across.

I'm sure the RNC spends the rest of this week trying to figure out how to combat voter outrage. Might explain their strategy to try and intimidate voters at the polling sites.

I’m so glad I can rely on the usual suspects to tell us what’s going on at Fox every minute of the day.
And I can’t WAIT to see videos of Republican voter intimidation at the polls. 🤡

Reactions: MitchLL
Good info, and thanks.
FYI since some like to forget...a sizable number of Republicans - largely female - also do not oppose abortion either. Just because they wouldn’t want one they don’t necessarily believe another woman shouldn’t have the freedom to choose.
And the very large group of independents in KS are more likely to support the idea of choice as well.
The issue is not proving to be the game changer the Democrats hope for and if the Republicans have any brains at all they’ll see this result and move on to the big things affecting ALL Americans - like inflation. It IS “the economy, stupid”.
The problem is that Rs have zero desire to solve real issues. Abortion bans are a good example of that. Instead of working on the economy red states rather spend their time on forcing women into birth.

Well that's incredibly incorrect

I'm seeing exactly 5 Presidential elections exceeding 58.8% of the popular vote.
So, less than 10% of them.

I'd bet it's an even lower rate for anyone elected to Congress.

We call those kinds of ratios "landslides".

I'm seeing exactly 5 Presidential elections exceeding 58.8% of the popular vote.
So, less than 10% of them.

I'd bet it's an even lower rate for anyone elected to Congress.

We call those kinds of ratios "landslides".
Again, was this a presidential race? No. Was it electing any candidate? No.
(And "I'd bet" doesnt really hold much weight, does it? )
Why don't the R's representatives represent them, then?
Are you under the impression no Rs support abortion? And why are you only talking in the binary when referring to parties? 30% of KS voters arent affiliated w/ either major party.

Disagree. Dobbs will foster a growing class of single-issue voters who favor abortion rights. We saw the first indications of this where the Kansas abortion ballot measure received almost 290,000 more votes than the total votes cast on both governor primary contests combined. That's a huge percentage of single-issue voters and it produced a solid win for reproductive rights organizers.

We see from Kansas that Dobbs will also substantially increase voter participation, especially among women. New voter registration surged 960% and, remarkably, 70% of newly registered voters after June 24th (Dobbs announced) were women (whereas newly registered KS voters were nearly evenly split in 2020).

That's a game changer. Ignoring the political implications is a huge risk. More likely, future Republican candidates in many battleground states and districts will try to tight rope the issue by softening their anti-abortion positions without angering the religious zealots who are their core constituency. Good luck!

Republicans didn’t vote against this. Independents did and it caused an opsie
For now let’s wait and see what the post election surveys tell us. Some Kansas counties easily carried by Trump in 2020 also voted against the issue by almost the same margins, per the Wall Street Journal.

Reactions: Firekirknow
Didn't say it was.

But IF it was a "candidate race", 58.8% would be considered a "landslide victory".
AINEC.
And if monkey's could fly, that'd be pretty interesting...but it has zero to do w/ this discussion, so save the irrelevant hypotheticals.

ADVERTISEMENT