ADVERTISEMENT

Opposition to School Vaccine Mandates Has Grown Significantly, Study Finds

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Deplorable!:

For generations of most American families, getting children vaccinated was just something to check off on the list of back-to-school chores. But after the ferocious battles over Covid shots of the past two years, simmering resistance to general school vaccine mandates has grown significantly. Now, 35 percent of parents oppose requirements that children receive routine immunizations in order to attend school, according to a new survey released Friday by the Kaiser Family Foundation.
All of the states and the District of Columbia mandate that children receive vaccinations against measles, mumps, rubella and other highly contagious, deadly childhood diseases. (Most permit a few limited exemptions.)
Throughout the pandemic, the Kaiser foundation, a nonpartisan health care research organization, has been issuing monthly reports on changing attitudes toward Covid vaccines. The surveys have showed a growing political divide over the issue, and the latest study indicates that division now extends to routine childhood vaccinations.
Forty-four percent of adults who either identify as Republicans or lean that way said in the latest survey that parents should have the right to opt out of school vaccine mandates, up from 20 percent in a prepandemic poll conducted in 2019 by the Pew Research Center. In contrast, 88 percent of adults who identify as or lean Democratic endorsed childhood vaccine requirements, a slight increase from 86 percent in 2019.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

The survey found that 28 percent of adults overall believed parents should have the authority to make school vaccine decisions for their children, a stance that in the 2019 Pew poll was held by just 16 percent of adults.

The shift in positions appears to be less about rejecting the shots than a growing endorsement of the so-called parents’ rights movement. Indeed, 80 percent of parents said that the benefits of vaccines for measles, mumps and rubella outweighed the risks, down only slightly from 83 percent in 2019.
“The talking point that has been circulated is the concept of taking away parents’ rights,” said Dr. Sean O’Leary, chairman of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ committee on infectious diseases. “And when you frame it that simply, it’s very appealing to a certain segment of the population. But what about the right to have your children be safe in school from vaccine-preventable diseases?”

Still, Dr. O’Leary said that he wasn’t overly worried that school vaccine mandates would be lifted but that the growing embrace of parents’ rights might further slow compliance with state-required immunization schedules, a timeline that has long been endorsed by pediatricians.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

“We know a lot of kids missed their vaccines during the pandemic, not because they were refusing, but because, for many reasons, people weren’t going to the doctor,” he said. “And we do have a global dip in vaccine coverage. So this is not a time to be considering a rollback of these laws.”
The latest survey was based on interviews with a nationally representative sample of 1,259 adults and was conducted from Nov. 29 through Dec. 8.
It showed disappointing rates of uptake of the latest Covid booster, a “bivalent” shot that targets both the original coronavirus and the Omicron variant and has been available since September. Just four in 10 adults said they had either gotten the booster or intended to do so. Among those 65 and older — the age group at the highest risk — about one in four said they had been too busy to get it or hadn’t found the time to do so.
Even among adults who had received previous Covid vaccines, the survey found that more than four in 10 said they felt they did not need this latest shot.
Only about a third of respondents said they personally feared getting very ill from Covid, though half expressed concerns in general about rising rates of Covid this winter. About two-thirds of Black and Latino adults were apprehensive about Covid rates, compared with about four in 10 white adults.
The survey also found that about half of parents worried that their children could fall sick this winter from Covid-19, the flu or R.S.V. (respiratory syncytial virus), a sign that Covid-19 was increasingly becoming normalized in the public’s perception and joining the landscape of seasonal illnesses.

Human beings are tricky. Anytime you rush something that traditionally isn’t rushed and then force/mandate that same thing - you’re going to get pushback. It’s natural and you can’t win by just calling people stupid. This behavior should have been expected a long time ago.

People that are pro-mandate have good intentions but need to remember that you (like everything else) are in the people business and a good chunk of people do not like things rushed or forced. The pro-mandate crowd created their own monster.

I said this would happen. By forcing vaccines and mandates on people (including children), they have lost even more ground to the anti-vax movement. They will come out of this pandemic worse off in regards to vaccine coverage for kids than they were before.

I have said before, I am seeing this in my personal life. Literally have run into people in the past month talking about the flu season and saying “I don’t get flu shots anymore because COVID showed me how dangerous vaccines are”

We are for sure living in the dumbest timeline, and people are proud of their ignorance. Everyday blows my mind. I honestly don’t know where society goes from here.

And people are still acting like vaccine mandates are some new invention that was only brought about by Covid. Like we haven't had them for decades.

But, ultimately, a free market solution is probably the best solution here. Just kick up insurance rates for people who choose to be unvaccinated and don't have a medical reason to be that way.

This is just more of the idiotic MAGA crowd who flooded school boards with nonsense about CRT and COVID.
Yet they can’t seem to find the time to support schools in other ways, by voting for bond issues or volunteering.
Derp. You are looping them all together? I know plenty of Dems who oppose jab mandates.

Reactions: ICHerky
I said this would happen. By forcing vaccines and mandates on people (including children), they have lost even more ground to the anti-vax movement. They will come out of this pandemic worse off in regards to vaccine coverage for kids than they were before.
I don’t disagree but…

Using one thing they didn’t like to all of a sudden not like something that has been successful for generations is such a piss poor excuse for willful ignorance.

We are for sure living in the dumbest timeline, and people are proud of their ignorance. Everyday blows my mind. I honestly don’t know where society goes from here.
This is where we're going. Almost there:

R.ab0a0a7a6eed90245b63392c511b3b2a

And people are still acting like vaccine mandates are some new invention that was only brought about by Covid. Like we haven't had them for decades.

But, ultimately, a free market solution is probably the best solution here. Just kick up insurance rates for people who choose to be unvaccinated and don't have a medical reason to be that way.

This is the answer. Do freedumb all you want because of your pride, ego, stupidity….whatever. But when you or your family get the mumps - you either paid up for the insurance or you’re paying on the backend for care out of your own pocket. Sorry kids, talk to your insanely stupid parents if they can’t afford it.

It’s not hatred of science. It’s a newfound distrust of corporate charlatans and profiteering.

Like Martha Stewart might say; “It’s a good thing.”

All I ask is that you seek no care or help when you get whatever it is you decided you were smarter than. The $25 shot that turns into a $250,000 hospital stay is unfair to me and my insurance rates. Stay home and good luck.

The mRNA vaccines aren't like traditional vaccines, and really shouldn't even be called vaccines because they neither prevent infection or spread, and their efficacy has proven to be very low.

It's disingenuous to lump COVID vaccines with traditional vaccines, and to label those who oppose COVID vaccine mandates as anti-vax. They are anti COVID-vax.

This is the answer. Do freedumb all you want because of your pride, ego, stupidity….whatever. But when you or your family get the mumps - you either paid up for the insurance or you’re paying on the backend for care out of your own pocket. Sorry kids, talk to your insanely stupid parents if they can’t afford it.
"He had all the shots and everything. You don't think you're going to get the mumps after you've been inoculated," said Will's father, Wayne Hean. :rolleyes:

"He had all the shots and everything. You don't think you're going to get the mumps after you've been inoculated," said Will's father, Wayne Hean. :rolleyes:

People win the lottery too. Eye roll indeed you simple little man.

Also, I'm fine with this person getting care. If you make the choice to not get it, my request still stands. Stay home and sweat it out broseph.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT