ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon passes Measure 114, one of strictest gun control measures in U.S.

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003
This is great news. How about the good people of Oregon? The 10th Amendment is alive and well. Power to the States to protect us from the tyranny of big gov.

Oregon Gun Bill

Oregon voters passed one of the country’s strictest gun control measures, a long-sought goal of a grassroots faith-based campaign.

Partial returns tallied as of 11:15 p.m. showed Measure 114 leading 51% to 49%.

Most of the votes left to be tallied were in Multnomah, Washington and Clackamas counties, all favoring or heavily favoring the measure.

The measure will require Oregonians to obtain a permit to buy a gun after completing a firearms safety course and would ban the sale or transfer of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

The 10th Amendment doesn't override the 2nd Amendment.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

The Second Amendment is an enumerated right (to the people), and has been incorporated.

Reactions: seminole97
I like the law. Totally reasonable. Not sure if they can, but it would be great if all current gun owners were required to pass the safety course as well.

That said, more restriction is kind of the opposite of protecting anyone from the tyranny of big government.

The 10th Amendment doesn't override the 2nd Amendment.

[COLOR=%s]Amendment X[/COLOR]

[COLOR=%s]The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.[/COLOR]

The Second Amendment is an enumerated right (to the people), and has been incorporated.
The 2nd Amendment does not override the 10th Amendment. Their are no super amendments.

Where in the Constitution does it say anything about semi-automatic weapons or background checks?

When it's convenient for the GOP. The can be very flexible in their interpretation of the Constitution.
Maybe they can, but that's how this one works.
The 2nd Amendment does not override the 10th Amendment. Their are no super amendments.

Where in the Constitution does it say anything about semi-automatic weapons or back ground checks?
The 10th amendment assigns rights that aren't already enumerated. The 2nd Amendment is enumerated. This isn't any different than NY State passing gun laws, or Chicago, or DC.

We will quickly see how the GOP feels about state's rights.
Hopefully, they will continue to uphold them.

As for the Bill itself, the measure (as posted by the OP) seems VERY reasonable. Not sure why anyone would oppose proper training before purchasing a firearm...we require training to operate a vehicle and can't operate one w/o a license.

Personally, I think my CHL renewal should have been MUCH more difficult. Sure, it was a few clicks of convenience for me, but other less trained/proficient folks will get off too easily IMO.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof

Where in the Constitution does it say anything about semi-automatic weapons or back ground checks?
The BOR is a list of personal rights that the federal government, and after the 14th amendment, the states cannot abridge (restrict) unless the law passes a constitutional test created by the supreme court. Up until recently, the 2A was not held to be a personal right due to the conditioning clause at the beginning of the amendment and, therefore, was not incorporated to the states through the 14th. However, after SCOTUS declared the conditioning clause was a mere preamble without meaning, the 2A was held to be a personal right and incorporated on the states through the 14A. As such, any regulations on gun ownership is, on its face, unconstitutional, unless it passes the constitutional test. Traditionally, the test was one of the levels of scrutiny (strict, intermediate (a test created by Justice O'Connor that appears only to apply to gender discrimination) or rational basis). However, very recently the Constitutional tests appears to be a very vague, seemingly related to the nation's traditions and history.

As for the Bill itself, the measure (as posted by the OP) seems VERY reasonable. Not sure why anyone would oppose proper training before purchasing a firearm...we require training to operate a vehicle and can't operate one w/o a license.

Personally, I think my CHL renewal should have been MUCH more difficult. Sure, it was a few clicks of convenience for me, but other less trained/proficient folks will get off too easily IMO.
Operating a vehicle isn't a right. No other right requires a test.

That said, I think everyone buying a gun should know how to shoot it, and even have some level of skill. That's a requirement in the 2 states where I got a CCW.

I don't matter that it's reasonable - we're in the reality where we've stacked the court with people who believe in an interpretation of the 2nd that is promoted by unreasonable people.

Reactions: lucas80
It's a reasonable requirement on it's own. But as a crime stopping measure will do nothing. Stop and Frisk is a much better deterrent of crime, if that's what they're interested in stopping. But it seems it's not really what they're after. You can't "one size fits all" when it comes to gun ownership and criminals.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
I don’t care about the magazines. My only concern would be having to get a permit first depending on cost and availability. If it’s gonna function like the Colorado DMV or charge exorbitant fees for the permit, then no. If it’s not prohibitive then no worries.

This is great news. How about the good people of Oregon? The 10th Amendment is alive and well. Power to the States to protect us from the tyranny of big gov.

Oregon Gun Bill

Oregon voters passed one of the country’s strictest gun control measures, a long-sought goal of a grassroots faith-based campaign.

Partial returns tallied as of 11:15 p.m. showed Measure 114 leading 51% to 49%.

Most of the votes left to be tallied were in Multnomah, Washington and Clackamas counties, all favoring or heavily favoring the measure.

The measure will require Oregonians to obtain a permit to buy a gun after completing a firearms safety course and would ban the sale or transfer of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

This is what I wish Arizona would do. It's my understanding you don't need training or a permit to carry. All you do is show up at the gun store, they run a quick background check, and you purchase your weapon.

I'd actually like to see them take it a step further. Permits last 1-2 years, and you have to renew by going through another safety/training class, and another background check. Never know what some of these yard birds have done since the last background check.

Many Oregon Sheriffs Vow NOT To Enforce New Anti-Gun Ballot Initiative​

If you can't follow laws you shouldn't be allowed to enforce other laws. It isn't up to the sheriffs to decide what laws to enforce. At least that's what you sniffle about when a sheriff says they won't enforce some law you support.
A gun is a tool, there is nothing wrong with sensible requirements for it's well regulated usage.

Reactions: West Dundee Hawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT