141: 11 vs 16
149: 4 vs 6
157: 3 vs 20
165: 2 vs 14
174: 2 vs 8
184: 11 vs 12 (Assad)
197: 7 vs 10
HWT: 5 vs 115

Big tests for six of our guys. And other than Cass nobody has a pushover.

Looked at Wrestlestat, and I can’t believe how many close matchups there are:

125: 1vs 2
133: 5 vs 21

They are down a bit for them, but a lot of those recruits were pretty sought after. In reality we should hammer them.

Wrestlestat predicts Okie State wins two matches: 165 and 197. 197 is basically a toss-up, but why in the world does Wrestlestat predict #14 Wittlake over #2 Marinelli? What does Wrestlestat have against Marinelli? I've seen this for other comparisons for Marinelli on Wrestlestat that seem to make no sense. Other examples:

Wrestlestat predicts Nebraska's #7 White over Marinelli even though Marinelli has beaten him twice.
Wrestlestat predicts Wisky's #4 Wick over Marinelli even though Marinelli has beaten him four straight times.
Similar for Shields, McFadden, Griffith, Hartman and probably others who are ranked below Marinelli.

Make no mistake osu has had this one marked and circled, they have been flying under the radar this year but have a good team. I would hope we had this identified for payback after last year.

125- Huge match here for seeding. A loss could drop Spencer to the 4 seed.

133- I feel good here with ADS back, Glynn would have been a question to win. Witcraft is a junker so ADS needs to be on his toes.

141- Hone has been here apparently having beaten G-feller out. Both guys are tough so Max will need to bring it.

149- Huge seeding match, Boo has been tough, only loss to Mauller.

157- Sheets battles and is tough on the mat. Kaleb needs to convert his shots and be ready to go hard for 7.

165- Whitlake's only loss is 4-1 to unbeaten #3 Griffith, Bull favored but can't take this lightly or wrestle sloppy.

174- Kem vs JoJo, they met a few years ago at 157 with Kem winning. Despite his off the mat struggles JoJo has the talent, Kem needs to be ready to get after it.

184- Montalvo is a high end recruit and 18-5 on the year, big match for Abe and seedings.

197- Geer is 19-5, has talent to win if Warner is not up to speed.

285- We should be a solid favorite here.

Reactions: artradley
Wrestlestat’s formula for individual matchups is way out of synch with their rankings. I get the impression they haven’t spent much time on it.

Reactions: andegre
Of late, this is the time of year that OSU wrestles with their hands wrapped tightly around their own necks.

Reactions: vhsalum
Okie state (and Cornell) are going to be a REAL problem in the near future. Their recruiting is damn good. Ferrari, Plott, the Mastro’s, Burks, Balmaceda and Daton for 3 more years....

Basically a team needs at least 4 title contenders to even be in the discussion and then they better have another 4 to 5 high AA on top of that. Fix is proven and Ferrari has the bluest of blue chip pedigree. Plot has been very good but has taken losses at times including to Assad at Fargo last year and missed the year with injury. Balmaceda was bad this year, Burks and Mastro boys don't slot on paper as guaranteed title contenders. Cornell will have the 4 contenders but have work to do to find the rest of the points needed. The way psu keeps finding ways to sign top end talent they will be tough to top. Iowa has a shot this year and next but after that it will pretty tough sledding.

Reactions: el dub
Wrestlestat predicts Okie State wins two matches: 165 and 197. 197 is basically a toss-up, but why in the world does Wrestlestat predict #14 Wittlake over #2 Marinelli? What does Wrestlestat have against Marinelli? I've seen this for other comparisons for Marinelli on Wrestlestat that seem to make no sense. Other examples:

Wrestlestat predicts Nebraska's #7 White over Marinelli even though Marinelli has beaten him twice.
Wrestlestat predicts Wisky's #4 Wick over Marinelli even though Marinelli has beaten him four straight times.
Similar for Shields, McFadden, Griffith, Hartman and probably others who are ranked below Marinelli.
Yeah I’m confused about that too. Wittlake is really good but I don’t he’s ready to beat the Bull right now. Especially not in Carver-Hawkeye

Basically a team needs at least 4 title contenders to even be in the discussion and then they better have another 4 to 5 high AA on top of that. Fix is proven and Ferrari has the bluest of blue chip pedigree. Plot has been very good but has taken losses at times including to Assad at Fargo last year and missed the year with injury. Balmaceda was bad this year, Burks and Mastro boys don't slot on paper as guaranteed title contenders. Cornell will have the 4 contenders but have work to do to find the rest of the points needed. The way psu keeps finding ways to sign top end talent they will be tough to top. Iowa has a shot this year and next but after that it will pretty tough sledding.
I agree. I think we could have a few title contenders honestly. Fix is obviously one. Ferrari will be a stud as should Plott. If Wittlake keeps improving he could definitely contend for a natty in the near future. Gfeller could be a finalist if he can get his act together.

I agree. I think we could have a few title contenders honestly. Fix is obviously one. Ferrari will be a stud as should Plott. If Wittlake keeps improving he could definitely contend for a natty in the near future. Gfeller could be a finalist if he can get his act together.

You guys are sitting in the same boat as the rest of the non psu teams, same as us. We have to hope everyone pans out and and everyone stays healthy to even legitimately be in the running. OSU and Iowa may have different styles but I think both programs were built on the same kind of grit. The bucknuts and psu were built on $$$. I respect John Smith but not carl and tom the used car salesman.

It’s the knee brace I’m sure

--Spencer? Only real question I have is whether or not he gets bonus points. ;)
--DeSanto? Probably bonus points
--Murin? Might be a test, honestly.
--Lugo? Close score, but that's how Lugo wrestles
--Young? Close score, but that's how Young wrestles
--Bull? Bonus points, maybe a pin
--Kem? Bonus points, maybe a pin
--Assad? Definitely a test
--Warner? Maybe a test, but if Warner wrestles like he did against Minnesota he could get bonus points again
--Cass? Bonus points, probably pins him

Last edited:
From the Oklahoma State side,

125 - Picc has only lost once this year, but he hasn't looked right. So many matches against guys he should beat where he has given up takedowns, gotten ridden, etc. He keeps finding a way to win, though. The match against Moody on Sunday was a good example. He got out to a lead, then looked completely dead, took multiple stall calls in the second, Moody got within one, then Picc found a takedown, cradle, fall. I have a hard time seeing this version of Picc hanging with Spencer.

133 - The Reece Witcraft show is must see tv, even though it doesn't always work out for him. This should be a fun match to watch because neither guy likes to stand around and wait. Witcraft will need multiple big moves or a fall to win because DeSanto is going to score a lot. If Reece stays in the match into the third, I'll be impressed.

141 - I'm not sure Hone beat out Gfeller so much as he gave Smith the option to sit Kaden without a huge drop-off. There still is a drop-off though. Hone will wrestle hard and can stay in the match with almost anyone. That said, Murin is the better wrestler and should earn the decision.

149 - Having a healthy Boo has been one of my favorite developments of the season. He is excellent in all three positions and has been able to blow open matches this season against quality competition by getting turns. Lewallen's one loss was to Brock Mauller. In that one, Boo got in repeatedly, but could not handle Mauller's strength, only finishing once and giving up a counter takedown that forced OT. This match could be a snoozer as Boo has often been cautious early against stronger opposition, knowing he is very good on the mat. This has all the makings of a one takedown or overtime battle.

157 - Sheets is much improved, but he still makes too many mistakes to beat the top guys at this weight. He is capable of scoring on Young, but I expect the Hawkeye to have the better of it. Every now and then Sheets gets going on top and breaks a match open with nearfall against a wrestler who could otherwise hang with/beat him, but that seems like a longshot in this one.

165 - An excellent test for Wittlake who continues to improve and impress. His offense has really come on since early in the year and you can see his confidence building. I'm interested to see if he can get anything going in the face of Marinelli's physicality. I fear he won't be able to, though this is a good time to measure where you are as a RS freshman.

174 - Joe Smith can wrestle three periods this year which is a vast improvement over last year. That said, he hasn't faced anyone who can really push the pace against him other than Steiert and that match was a disaster. If Joe's tank is decent, I expect him to lose by a couple as he has been a little sloppy, missing chances to score that he used to convert. If it isn't, well...

184 - Montalvo is improving and he has started to get a little edge to him. That could lead to some fun in CHA. Anthony has won a few big matches lately by riding the dog out of people and he has big move potential. He also has a little Sheets in him where he'll just make a silly mistake and hand the opponent a takedown. I'm certain he'll be competitive with whoever he faces.

197 - Geer is not wrestling well, but his ability to score gives him a puncher's chance. That said, his defense has been very poor. Every time Woodley got a hand to Dakota's leg on Sunday, the Sooner scored. Geer likely needs 3-4 takedowns to win this match. It isn't impossible, but it would be a surprise.

HWT - The only way this match is going to be at all interesting is if OSU rolls out Brock Martin, the football player who has been in the room since after Christmas break. I can't imagine he gets run out in Carver for his first match and I'm not sure it would change the outcome. Cass by fall.

Oklahoma state has the number one recruiting class coming in. If they develop they'll have some serious talent at the upper weights. Plus the Mastro brothers. In a few years OSU will be tough.

From the Oklahoma State side,

125 - Picc has only lost once this year, but he hasn't looked right. So many matches against guys he should beat where he has given up takedowns, gotten ridden, etc. He keeps finding a way to win, though. The match against Moody on Sunday was a good example. He got out to a lead, then looked completely dead, took multiple stall calls in the second, Moody got within one, then Picc found a takedown, cradle, fall. I have a hard time seeing this version of Picc hanging with Spencer.

133 - The Reece Witcraft show is must see tv, even though it doesn't always work out for him. This should be a fun match to watch because neither guy likes to stand around and wait. Witcraft will need multiple big moves or a fall to win because DeSanto is going to score a lot. If Reece stays in the match into the third, I'll be impressed.

141 - I'm not sure Hone beat out Gfeller so much as he gave Smith the option to sit Kaden without a huge drop-off. There still is a drop-off though. Hone will wrestle hard and can stay in the match with almost anyone. That said, Murin is the better wrestler and should earn the decision.

149 - Having a healthy Boo has been one of my favorite developments of the season. He is excellent in all three positions and has been able to blow open matches this season against quality competition by getting turns. Lewallen's one loss was to Brock Mauller. In that one, Boo got in repeatedly, but could not handle Mauller's strength, only finishing once and giving up a counter takedown that forced OT. This match could be a snoozer as Boo has often been cautious early against stronger opposition, knowing he is very good on the mat. This has all the makings of a one takedown or overtime battle.

157 - Sheets is much improved, but he still makes too many mistakes to beat the top guys at this weight. He is capable of scoring on Young, but I expect the Hawkeye to have the better of it. Every now and then Sheets gets going on top and breaks a match open with nearfall against a wrestler who could otherwise hang with/beat him, but that seems like a longshot in this one.

165 - An excellent test for Wittlake who continues to improve and impress. His offense has really come on since early in the year and you can see his confidence building. I'm interested to see if he can get anything going in the face of Marinelli's physicality. I fear he won't be able to, though this is a good time to measure where you are as a RS freshman.

174 - Joe Smith can wrestle three periods this year which is a vast improvement over last year. That said, he hasn't faced anyone who can really push the pace against him other than Steiert and that match was a disaster. If Joe's tank is decent, I expect him to lose by a couple as he has been a little sloppy, missing chances to score that he used to convert. If it isn't, well...

184 - Montalvo is improving and he has started to get a little edge to him. That could lead to some fun in CHA. Anthony has won a few big matches lately by riding the dog out of people and he has big move potential. He also has a little Sheets in him where he'll just make a silly mistake and hand the opponent a takedown. I'm certain he'll be competitive with whoever he faces.

197 - Geer is not wrestling well, but his ability to score gives him a puncher's chance. That said, his defense has been very poor. Every time Woodley got a hand to Dakota's leg on Sunday, the Sooner scored. Geer likely needs 3-4 takedowns to win this match. It isn't impossible, but it would be a surprise.

HWT - The only way this match is going to be at all interesting is if OSU rolls out Brock Martin, the football player who has been in the room since after Christmas break. I can't imagine he gets run out in Carver for his first match and I'm not sure it would change the outcome. Cass by fall.
Nice writeup. Go Hawks!!!

Wrestlestat ...if you keep throwing crap at something it eventually sticks. That's pretty much their predictions...hopefully Bull uses it and pins the kid.

No way in hell we lose at those two weights. The Bull is the Bull, and Geer has been losing to a bunch of unranked guys lately while Warner has been looking great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT