ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 1983 Bears Draft Analysis - Mark Bortz/Hayden Mention

Mhawk724

HB All-State
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2006
Old news, but interesting

Round 8, Pick 219 — Guard Mark Bortz. Bears numbers: 12 seasons, 155 starts, two-time Pro Bowler.

Bortz was a two-time all-Big Ten selection as a defensive tackle at Iowa, but the Bears didn't leave him on that side of the ball very long.

Tobin: "(Iowa coach) Hayden Fry told me if (he) had this to do over again, (he) would make Bortz an offensive lineman. That stuck in my mind because he was a damn good Big Ten player. He was tough and aggressive and smart and down to earth and he had some size. I wrote my report and I carried that information back to the draft room and we had a great offensive line coach, Dick Stanfel. We took him and Ditka gets up from the draft room and goes down to the other end of the hallway and says, 'Dick, we took a defensive lineman that you're going to make an offensive lineman out of,' and by golly if he didn't and put him in the Pro Bowl. All the credit goes to Dick thanks to Hayden."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...draft-nfl-spt-0419-20150418-story.html#page=3

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News