ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Court Injunction BLOCKS Iowa from Dropping Women's Swimming for 2021-2022 School Year after 4 Iowa Women Swimmers filed Title IX lawsuit

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
The class action lawsuit claims Iowa failed to provide equitable athletic opportunities for its female students

Eix4gqyXcAY3gB_

RELATED STORY:

Great I hope they win and sue the heck out of the University and force them to bring all the programs back.

It was a horrible decision to begin with , if they want to save money they can start by eliminating the bloated salary’s of the football staff and the obscene spending of the football program. It’s about time someone brought some rationality to this department

Great I hope they win and sue the heck out of the University and force them to bring all the programs back.

It was a horrible decision to begin with , if they want to save money they can start by eliminating the bloated salary’s of the football staff and the obscene spending of the football program. It’s about time someone brought some rationality to this department
Do you even give any thought at all to the things you post, or just let your hatred decide your thoughts? "Some rationality to THIS department". REALLY? So what is it exactly that Iowa is doing that the other 65 P5 teams are not in this scenario? The money is obscene, absolutely, BUT. Do you want a competitive athletic program at Iowa? Yes or No? How exactly would they compete in the current climate if they weren't "keeping up with the Joneses"? As for the $$$$, almost all of it comes from the TV contract, and donations, not from tax dollars or from the school, so where exactly is the problem? On top of that this cash windfall totally finance all these other programs that have absolutely ZERO financial following or interest on a larger scale. Do you think that Fox or ESPN will start handing out the $$ for the swimming or tennis programs to be on TV? Not hardly.
Unfortunately with Iowa in the news the last several months, this will be yet another black eye for the school in the media, but there will many, many other schools in the same situation very soon.....

That’s really intelligent. Cut the spending on the revenue steam that supports all the other dead weight, boring sports that no one besides the players parents cares about.

Moe Ron

Do you even give any thought at all to the things you post, or just let your hatred decide your thoughts? "Some rationality to THIS department". REALLY? So what is it exactly that Iowa is doing that the other 65 P5 teams are not in this scenario? The money is obscene, absolutely, BUT. Do you want a competitive athletic program at Iowa? Yes or No? How exactly would they compete in the current climate if they weren't "keeping up with the Joneses"? As for the $$$$, almost all of it comes from the TV contract, and donations, not from tax dollars or from the school, so where exactly is the problem? On top of that this cash windfall totally finance all these other programs that have absolutely ZERO financial following or interest on a larger scale. Do you think that Fox or ESPN will start handing out the $$ for the swimming or tennis programs to be on TV? Not hardly.
Unfortunately with Iowa in the news the last several months, this will be yet another black eye for the school in the media, but there will many, many other schools in the same situation very soon.....

Don't let him get to you East, this is pretty much a troll. Just last year, the UI underwent a full Title IX investigation from the federal government as part of the fallout from the Tracy Griesbaum and Jane Meyer incidents. That investigation found Iowa was in Title IX compliance.

Basically the athletes are upset that their sports are being cut (don't blame them at all for that). The AD has the authority to cancel sports. And apparently the president and the Regents are in agreement on that. But there is literally zero evidence that Iowa is out of compliance for Title IX.

Iowa was competing in swimming and other olympic sports decades before TV existedand football provided any meaningful income. How do schools like Grinnell and others provide men’s and women’s Olympic sports and have no significant income in football or basketball?

Iowa was competing in swimming and other olympic sports decades before TV existedand football provided any meaningful income. How do schools like Grinnell and others provide men’s and women’s Olympic sports and have no significant income in football or basketball?
All the schools in their conference are local and can bus to each event. Im guessing being competitive in Division 3 is probably a lot different than division 1.

And honestly, i make no comment about that as I have no knowledge of the dynamics about those sports. I'm simply replying to the Peckers comments that we need to make cuts in the football program, and just in my opinion thats ridiculous. Its like building any business, (and thats what this is now). You have to spend money to make money and maximise profits. The cash cow is football. Build it and let the overflow trickle down to the needy, and thats exactly what has been happening.

The original philosophy of intercollegiate athletics was it was an integral part of what was considered a complete education. Mind, spirit and body.
the Iby League personifies that philosophy. They have great, state of the art facilities, tremendous training staffs, good coaches and field teams in 25-30 sports. Big differences are no scholarships for athletics bd coaching salaries.

The original philosophy of intercollegiate athletics was it was an integral part of what was considered a complete education. Mind, spirit and body.
the Iby League personifies that philosophy. They have great, state of the art facilities, tremendous training staffs, good coaches and field teams in 25-30 sports. Big differences are no scholarships for athletics bd coaching salaries.
In Philosophy Dstewart that sounds fantastic if we could return to this type of scenario. Unfortunately that ship sailed a LONG time ago. Its kind of like I HATE cell phones and their intrusion into daily life, but try getting around without one and see how that works......

Reactions: dean_oliver222

You are so right dickboy. Lets drop the salaries to say 1 mill or less for the head coach and to say 100,000 for assistants. Then the program can go totally in the tank with no money for any sport or any support for the football team. That will show them. You have no clue what you are talking about but I have seen your reply in how many posts? Maybe if some of these sports nobody watches or cares about would dial; down what they think they are owed it would be a start. And I will add this. It should be a requirement to have a certain % of your team from the state. Why are we funding a team like field hockey that you can't get one kid from the state of Iowa??

Should it be time to go away from this philosophy and non-revenue ties to schools in general? The non-revenue sports can be played in intramural fashion. If we care about the cost of college, I would think that this is general would cut down on costs at most schools.

Yes go ahead and penalize the Cash Cow of the athletic department. the single most important sport to Finance other sports within the department. Is it a crappy situation absolutely. Is it part of life that there's not enough money to do what you want? Yes your definition of bloated is what the market demands is set. When the world of NCAA Collegiate football is an arms race that is what you support when it brings in over 90% of the revenue. You don't like it, tough that's life. And I feel horrible for the athletes that had committed to the sports that were cut. If it were my son or daughter I would be very pissed . But they're not telling them to pack their bags today either . But people lose their jobs every single day in this country because of revenue. Grow up and stop wishing that the entire ship would sink

Double thumbs up on that! Sue the hell out of them! The boys should sue as well. If they cut football and b-ball coaches salaries across the board just 10%, they could have saved all these sports and the kids that have worked so hard to get where they are. Sue the bastards!

This is a dumb lawsuit that's not going anywhere. I understand that these athletes are upset, but there's zero evidence of a Title IX violation.

Hell, they couldn't find any Title IX violations when we lost the Meyer/Griesbaum case, just shitty documentation.

The Iowa football coaching staff salaries were 18th in the nation last year. They are 6th highest in conference so pretty much right in the middle.
You want them to be last and watch the program that makes the money go to crap just to have a swim team?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Well It just doesn’t cost near as much to run Olympic sports in a college the size of grinnell compared to a D1 school. It’s really quite astounding some of you keep trying to compare Coe and Grinnell to a P5 school.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Double thumbs up on that! Sue the hell out of them! The boys should sue as well. If they cut football and b-ball coaches salaries across the board just 10%, they could have saved all these sports and the kids that have worked so hard to get where they are. Sue the bastards!
Did you do the math?

So My question is:
How do you just cut a signed negotiated contract of a coach if the said coach says hell no if you go to them and ask for concessions in that contract. Seams to me that then the coaches would turn around and sue the university for breach of contract.

Well It just doesn’t cost near as much to run Olympic sports in a college the size of grinnell compared to a D1 school. It’s really quite astounding some of you keep trying to compare Coe and Grinnell to a P5 school.

How about at uni?

One would think that they did their homework on the legality of cutting programs. But it is Barta and the stellar legal advice at the University.

How about at uni?
I'm pretty sure about half of UNI's Athletic Department budget comes from scheduling two football games a year against P5 opponents... Thus P5 football is supporting UNI's Swim team.
Are you sure you want to keep going?

Reactions: natchrlman
I'm pretty sure about half of UNI's Athletic Department budget comes from scheduling two football games a year against P5 opponents... Thus P5 football is supporting UNI's Swim team.
Are you sure you want to keep going?
Uni almost never plays two power 5 teams. I can think of once or twice in 30 years.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
How about at uni?
Iowa had 23 sports before the cuts. Uni still has just 15 to start. The costs to run the programs are completely different. I don’t understand what’s so hard to understand about this.

You want to tell donors how to spend their money? Why can’t swimming find their own donors?

Because they aren’t mandated by their university and state leadership to be self sufficient.

Iowa had 23 sports before the cuts. Uni still has just 15 to start. The costs to run the programs are completely different. I don’t understand what’s so hard to understand about this.

Compare the drag on taxpayers

Because of title ix Iowa has sports like womens field hockey and rowing. These sports aren’t played in Iowa high schools. So the only way an Iowa girl can get a scholarship is to walk on and earn one.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

A Division III program at a school like Grinnell or DePauw has more students involved in athletics than many schools with 30-40,000 students.

A Division III program at a school like Grinnell or DePauw has more students involved in athletics than many schools with 30-40,000 students.
No they don't, that's preposterous. They MIGHT have more students involved in athletics proportionally, but that's because their overall student body is less than 2000 people.

Also, you picked a horrible school to represent that argument. Grinnell has sports as an afterthought. You're talking about a program that had 30 players on the roster and walked out on their coaches midseason because they got zero support from them or the administration.

You're still VASTLY overestimating the amount of money spent per athlete in DIII compared to D1.

No they don't, that's preposterous. They MIGHT have more students involved in athletics proportionally, but that's because their overall student body is less than 2000 people.

Also, you picked a horrible school to represent that argument. Grinnell has sports as an afterthought. You're talking about a program that had 30 players on the roster and walked out on their coaches midseason because they got zero support from them or the administration.

You're still VASTLY overestimating the amount of money spent per athlete in DIII compared to D1.

The division three business model relies on athletes to stay open despite not receiving any television money....or really any outside funds at all.

None of their athletes are referred to as nonrevenue because it is a nonsense term made up for political reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT