ADVERTISEMENT

OT?: A&M making QB switch

Beattheohiostate

All-Conference
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
"Texas A&M will start LSU transfer Max Johnson at quarterback for this weekend's showdown with Miami, per Billy Liucci of TexAgs.com.

"Haynes King started the first two games for the Aggies and completed 64.7 percent of his passes for 461 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions.

"King's production wasn't terrible by any means, but Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher expected more, especially since the team's first two opponents were Sam Houston State and Appalachian State . . ."

Michigan also has switched QBs, dumping the guy who led them to the Big Ten title last season for a guy who's even better. And now A&M is going with a TRANSFER who, through some incredible magic, apparently has learned the A&M offense in a matter of months. As we know, it takes at least 2 or 3 years to grasp the Iowa offense.

So apparently the former starting QBs at Michigan and A&M just didn't have "the body of work" necessary to retain their jobs.

"Haynes King started the first two games for the Aggies and completed 64.7 percent of his passes for 461 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions."

this qb completing around 20% more passes than what's expected at this level. get him out of there. smart move.

Something I've wondered about in the past, and again now, is the opportunity Iowa gives to its backup QBs in practices to truly compete for the job. (Especially relative to the approach at other schools).

For instance, hypothetically, if it's Iowa's standard procedure to give QB1 95% of the first-team practice reps, it would make it very difficult for QB2 to demonstrate his competence for the job. (And for QB3, it would be downright impossible.)

The argument, I suppose, would be that you want QB1 to be as prepared as possible, hence the higher percentage of practice reps.

And I'm just using practice reps as a hypothetical example. There could be any of a number of ways that the backups do not get the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities, in the name of preparing the starter.

I could be way off-base. Perhaps others know more about how Iowa handles QB prep in it's practices.

Can't wait until Ferentz is forced to play someone besides Petras and his justification for the change. I suspect it will be for the same reasons that we "outside noise" fans have been espousing since practically our opening drive against SDt.

Something I've wondered about in the past, and again now, is the opportunity Iowa gives to its backup QBs in practices to truly compete for the job. (Especially relative to the approach at other schools).

For instance, hypothetically, if it's Iowa's standard procedure to give QB1 95% of the first-team practice reps, it would make it very difficult for QB2 to demonstrate his competence for the job. (And for QB3, it would be downright impossible.)

The argument, I suppose, would be that you want QB1 to be as prepared as possible, hence the higher percentage of practice reps.

And I'm just using practice reps as a hypothetical example. There could be any of a number of ways that the backups do not get the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities, in the name of preparing the starter.

I could be way off-base. Perhaps others know more about how Iowa handles QB prep in it's practices.

Especially if you have an established starter, most reps go to the 1st string QB. Generally speaking, the only time that’s not the case is due 1) injury; 2) 2 QB system; ongoing qb competition.

Once the season starts there is simply not enough time to give substantial reps to everyone. I highly doubt Iowa is in its own universe regarding this.

Reactions: Lumas Etima
"Texas A&M will start LSU transfer Max Johnson at quarterback for this weekend's showdown with Miami, per Billy Liucci of TexAgs.com.

"Haynes King started the first two games for the Aggies and completed 64.7 percent of his passes for 461 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions.

"King's production wasn't terrible by any means, but Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher expected more, especially since the team's first two opponents were Sam Houston State and Appalachian State . . ."

Michigan also has switched QBs, dumping the guy who led them to the Big Ten title last season for a guy who's even better. And now A&M is going with a TRANSFER who, through some incredible magic, apparently has learned the A&M offense in a matter of months. As we know, it takes at least 2 or 3 years to grasp the Iowa offense.

So apparently the former starting QBs at Michigan and A&M just didn't have "the body of work" necessary to retain their jobs.
2 different bad situations. JF is supposed to be some kind of QB whisperer, so it looks pretty bad when even HE couldn't figure out who the best guy for the job was from the get-go. KF's situation is just as bad, just different - he is clueless when it comes to QB evaluations, and even more clueless when it comes to figuring out that "his guy" ain't cutting it.

I mentioned in another thread that KF continually going back to the "practicing well" bit doesn't exactly make him look good. Iowa must have the absolute worst QB game prep practices in college football history if it makes SP look leaps and bounds better than anyone else. There is just no goddamn way that ANY QB ON SCHOLARSHIP AT ANY SCHOOL ABOVE DIVISION II could possibly look worse than SP. If the Iowa coaching staff seriously doesn't have anyone better in the QB room, then we might as well just drop football.

Can't wait until Ferentz is forced to play someone besides Petras and his justification for the change. I suspect it will be for the same reasons that we "outside noise" fans have been espousing since practically our opening drive against SDt.
I'll bet you $25 million that IF Iowa ever makes a change at QB, KF will not admit that it is purely due to performance. A phantom injury or other odd off-field issue will be the excuse.

Especially if you have an established starter, most reps go to the 1st string QB. Generally speaking, the only time that’s not the case is due 1) injury; 2) 2 QB system; ongoing qb competition.

Once the season starts there is simply not enough time to give substantial reps to everyone. I highly doubt Iowa is in its own universe regarding this.
See my response above. The QB debacle this season only proves that Iowa is the worst football program in the country when it comes to QB recruiting, development and practice/evaluations. There is simply no other explanation.

Reactions: CarterHall
2 different bad situations. JF is supposed to be some kind of QB whisperer, so it looks pretty bad when even HE couldn't figure out who the best guy for the job was from the get-go. KF's situation is just as bad, just different - he is clueless when it comes to QB evaluations, and even more clueless when it comes to figuring out that "his guy" ain't cutting it.

I mentioned in another thread that KF continually going back to the "practicing well" bit doesn't exactly make him look good. Iowa must have the absolute worst QB game prep practices in college football history if it makes SP look leaps and bounds better than anyone else. There is just no goddamn way that ANY QB ON SCHOLARSHIP AT ANY SCHOOL ABOVE DIVISION II could possibly look worse than SP. If the Iowa coaching staff seriously doesn't have anyone better in the QB room, then we might as well just drop football.

I'll bet you $25 million that IF Iowa ever makes a change at QB, KF will not admit that it is purely due to performance. A phantom injury or other odd off-field issue will be the excuse.

See my response above. The QB debacle this season only proves that Iowa is the worst football program in the country when it comes to QB recruiting, development and practice/evaluations. There is simply no other explanation.

The previous two occasions that we had genuine QB controversies; Kirk did ultimately make the change and didn’t blame it on injury. He didn’t do on the timeline we’d have expected as fans, but he did make the switch.

"Haynes King started the first two games for the Aggies and completed 64.7 percent of his passes for 461 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions."

this qb completing around 20% more passes than what's expected at this level. get him out of there. smart move.
Can we trade for this guy?

The previous two occasions that we had genuine QB controversies; Kirk did ultimately make the change and didn’t blame it on injury. He didn’t do on the timeline we’d have expected as fans, but he did make the switch.
Not going to deny that, but I will add that January 2015 is getting farther and farther in the rear-view mirror, and 2008 seems like ancient history. I'd say that KF's stubbornness and narcissism have increased logarithmically over the past 7 years. 2017 was the tipping point for me (the promotion of BF to OC) and it's gotten much worse since then...

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

This is preposterous! You simply can't change the QB at will.

They make decisions based on what is best for their programs. Kirk makes decisions based on his stubbornness and his drive to give the fans a big middle finger!
If that was truly the case then you can expect Ferentz to talk SP into taking his COVID year. That would be the ultimate FU to the fan base.

Correct, historically we have to lose at least a couple winnable games before making a switch at QB. We don’t proactively make the change.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Not going to deny that, but I will add that January 2015 is getting farther and farther in the rear-view mirror, and 2008 seems like ancient history. I'd say that KF's stubbornness and narcissism have increased logarithmically over the past 7 years. 2017 was the tipping point for me (the promotion of BF to OC) and it's gotten much worse since then...

I mentioned earlier I’ve had mixed feelings about BF as the OC. Liked some things, disliked others. Was initially encouraged by stuff he was doing his first couple of years but last two years especially have been more bad than good. It’s time for a change.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
If that was truly the case then you can expect Ferentz to talk SP into taking his COVID year. That would be the ultimate FU to the fan base.
No, even someone possibly in moderate stage dementia knows that he would lose this team, likely have a mass exodus through the portal of what little talent he has on offense, and that there would be a fan base revolt like never before if he made a power move to keep the most incompetent QB in college football as his chosen one for another year. I have little doubt that he will stick with SP all year, even if it means trashing the season, but then he'll move on.

The problem he'll be stuck with is that AP or JL could look really good next season, making KF look like a fool. For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if he chased both of them off campus. Then in 2023 he'll have 2 freshmen QB and maybe a transfer QB from the FCS ranks to choose from to run the offense, and he'll then have every excuse in the world again for the offense to suck.

I’m guessing Kirk would never cheat on his wife. Maybe he views giving another qb a chance would be cheating?

Reactions: Buffhawk
i expect the new guy will throw 63% or less completions with a similar td/int to the current guy, but we’ll still not be reassured that kf knows what he’s doing :)

So,we're you a big Greg Davis fan?

ADVERTISEMENT