ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Blue Blood definition

the_hermanator

HB Heisman
Jan 22, 2002
Had a good Thanksgiving with some husker family members. Great human beings, but in complete denial about their football program. They admit they aren't what they used to be (ooohhhh, that took a lot of courage:)), but argued that they are still a blue blood program.

That got me thinking of what defines a blue blood program. I looked it up and found all kinds of different meanings, so I guess it is kind of to each their own.

So, after some thought, I came up with my own definition of what being a blue blood college football program means. Everyone is free to offer up their own definition.

1.) Someone that has a rich history of winning. They have won multiple national championships and a large number of conference championships. The one exception to this rule is Notre Dame when it comes to conference championships.

2.) Someone guaranteed to be in the top 20% of college teams over any stretch of 20 years since 1940. You can have ups and downs, but a blue blood will find themselves and rebound even in their worst moments, in the top 20%% of teams over a two-decade stretch. Everyone thinks Michigan is currently struggling. They are still easily in the top 20% of teams since 2000. Nebraska is borderline over the last 20 years, but only had two winning seasons from 1941-1960.

3.) Someone you could confidently bet on to be in the top 20% of teams over the next 20 years.

With that said, my list of Blue Bloods:

Alabama
Georgia
Notre Dame
Michigan
Ohio St.
Oklahoma
Texas
USC

Fire away.

THE HERMENATOR

Reactions: LaTavianGreenshaw24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.