ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Crean and Alford

DanL53

HB Legend
Sep 12, 2013
Since it is the buyout that seems to be keeping them both employed, I wonder if each University could "trade" coaches.

It wouldn't do any good but at least it would be different.

Originally posted by DanL53:

Since it is the buyout that seems to be keeping them both employed, I wonder if each University could "trade" coaches.

Alford makes the sweet 16 in his first year, is currently 18-12, and he's on the hot seat? Stick to cheerleader threads.

Clickhere....you don't know UCLA. The guy they fired before Alford won 5 Pac 10 Titles and went the FF 3 times during an 8 year stretch. Fired coming off 5th Pac 10 Championship. Alford may get fired after this year and will be long gone after next season.

The UCLA fans burned crosses and hung nooses on Gene Barto's yard because he only made the FF.

Originally posted by clickhere 01:

Originally posted by DanL53:

Alford makes the sweet 16 in his first year, is currently 18-12, and he's on the hot seat? Stick to cheerleader threads.
http://www.nbcsports.com/college-basketball/alfords-already-hot-seat-ucla

Pretty much says what the Sleeping Dog just told you. It's UCLA, Alford has been on the hot seat since he was hired.

(Stick to cheerleader threads?) LOL.

If you are going to insult someone, click, at least try not to end up looking like an idiot doing it.

Both Crean and Alford are dying their hair black.

Both Crean and Alford will be looking for a new
job within two years.

The ghost of John Wooden haunts Alford.
The ghost of Bobby Knight haunts Crean.

Re: OT: Crean and Alford

It's does get a little old seeing another Alford thread from Dan. My guess is Dan liked Lickliter more because "he's a good guy." You can have Lickliter, I'll take Alford any day, despite that he's a "douche because he didn't want to pay for a haircut."
Side note - I'm aware the overuse of quotation marks makes me look like a tool but it was needed.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Ha, Dan Guerrero would suffer the same fate as Benito Mussolini at UCLA if that happened.

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
Dan, if you don't have anything nice to say about Steve Alford then just come sit next to me, brother.
________________________________________________________________________________________

I was just trying to have some fun with buyouts when I started this thread.

Didn't mean to offend the thin skins. But, thanks Sleeping Dog.

Clickhere....you don't know UCLA. The guy they fired before Alford won 5 Pac 10 Titles and went the FF 3 times during an 8 year stretch. Fired coming off 5th Pac 10 Championship. Alford may get fired after this year and will be long gone after next season.

The UCLA fans burned crosses and hung nooses on Gene Barto's yard because he only made the FF.
You may be correct about Alford and UCLA but they certainly wouldn't want Crean as their head coach. The only thing Crean can do well is recruit, and recruiting isn't the problem for a school like UCLA. Crean is a terrible coach. Alford might not be a great coach but he's a much better fit for UCLA because he's a much better game coach than Crean. Nobody gets less out of so much talent as Crean.

Real question, which midmajor programs will they fall back into after getting canned?

Lots of empty seats in Pauly this season. Doesn't appear that Alford's dynamic personality has dazzled the L.A. populace.

Bet you that Drake would take Crean and maybe Alford.

Crean is a Midwest boy so I don't see him going very far, maybe a MAC program. Alford, he's a vagabond so he could end up anywhere.

Indiana knows they dodged a bullet with Alford.

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:

You may be correct about Alford and UCLA but they certainly wouldn't want Crean as their head coach. The only thing Crean can do well is recruit, and recruiting isn't the problem for a school like UCLA. Crean is a terrible coach. Alford might not be a great coach but he's a much better fit for UCLA because he's a much better game coach than Crean. Nobody gets less out of so much talent as Crean.
I would throw Texas' Rick Barnes in the "Gets less Out of More" category for college coaches. And yes clickhere is crazy for thinking a Sweet 16 looks good to UCLA fans. That's an insult. Just ask them.
This post was edited on 3/4 11:30 PM by IronFist1776

Dan, if you don't have anything nice to say about Steve Alford then just come sit next to me, brother.
I have some good things and bad things to say about Alford. I'll start with the good things; He is an arrogant, 2 bit, slick willy, long legged mack daddy. I will be kind and skip the bad things, so as not to appall anyone. Now, may I sit next to you, SD?

Originally posted by Stanley75:

I have some good things and bad things to say about Alford. I'll start with the good things; He is an arrogant, 2 bit, slick willy, long legged mack daddy. I will be kind and skip the bad things, so as not to appall anyone. Now, may I sit next to you, SD?
LOL! See, there is the problem. I've a feeling if folks like myself that have reason (real world, not internet, real reason) to think poorly of Alford all gathered together for a hog roast? You could roast every hog in Johnson County and still not have enough pork for seconds.

I watched a bit of the UCLA- USC game last night and was shocked by all the empty seats. These weren't up in the rafters either, there were empty seats in the first few rows. Lots of them.

Even though it may not show yet considering the mess he acquired I really think USC had the better hire in Enfield. Trouble for him is he started 3 freshman and 2 sophomores last night.

Hate to defend Steve but UCLA has really been hurt by guys leaving early for the NBA. Doesn't get a lot of publicity and they get top recruits to fill the void, but still hard to maintain consistent success by UCLA standards.

Leaving early

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:. Sleeping Dog may be correct about Alford and UCLA but they certainly wouldn't want Crean as their head coach. The only thing Crean can do well is recruit, and recruiting isn't the problem for a school like UCLA. Crean is a terrible coach. Alford might not be a great coach but he's a much better fit for UCLA because he's a much better game coach than Crean. Nobody gets less out of so much talent as Crean.
Alford a game coach? I assume the game comes in a box and you get it at a good price at Toys R Us. Alford left his game planner behind to be the next coach at New Mexico...and Slick Hair without Noodles is like Mortimer Snerd without Edgar Bergen.

This post was edited on 3/5 10:37 AM by Tiggerhawk

Originally posted by SiouxCyty:

Hate to defend Steve but UCLA has really been hurt by guys leaving early for the NBA. Doesn't get a lot of publicity and they get top recruits to fill the void, but still hard to maintain consistent success by UCLA standards.
This Clown may have come up with an award winning solution. Do it like a visiting professor exchange for a year: Alford comes to Moo, and Fred goes to UCLA..Within a few weeks, Iowans with retentive memories, are determined that there is not going to be deja vu all over again. The largest lynch mob in history* descends upon Ames, and there is no[ delay for tar & feathers in the rush to get him strung up in time for the morning issue of the DM Register. More sensible people cut him down at once.

Alford's first comment afterwards were angry words complaining that they caused some hair to get displaced. Mrs Terrible T picked him up at once, and headed for their Brown County, Indiana 17 room summer lake "cottage"

Hoiberg upon arriving in Los Angeles immediately faxed his resignation to Moo U, the phones the UCLA Chancellor accepting a ten year contract The first applicant for the Moo men's hoops job was Noodles Neal, recently fired by New Mexico. But there is little doubt that the position will be added to Bill Fennelly's job description as soon as the Moo AD gets a written agreement from Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby that no conference men's & women's games will be scheduled on the same day.

* The mob size was quickly challenged by the Governors and Senators of both Mississippi and Alabama, with conflicting claims of the record by both states. Shortly afterwards, Senator Ted Cruz (Rep;TX) held a hasty press conferencer to wave a document he said listed the names of a majority of Texans in the mob.

This post was edited on 3/5 10:33 AM by Tiggerhawk

Great comment on Barnes.... No Coaching there. Recruits well but no coaching. Good call!!!! On the money!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT