ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Done with Direct TV

hawklaw1212

All-Conference
Gold Member
Sep 16, 2004
Hey all - finally decided to be done with Direct TV. With Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc., really all I was using Direct TV for was Iowa Football and basketball.

I am not much of a techie, but for those in the know, what is best way to still get ESPN and Big Ten Network. Hulu Live? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: CFNiteHawk85
I had PlayStation VUE for awhile before it was canceled. Now I use YoutubeTV which has ESPN and BTN even for me in Arizona. I do believe they are in some kind of contract dispute with FOX so we may or already have lost those channels. It is only $40 a month which makes it very practical. I probably will have to switch to someone with FOX channels if sports ever comeback on!

I had PlayStation VUE for awhile before it was canceled. Now I use YoutubeTV which has ESPN and BTN even for me in Arizona. I do believe they are in some kind of contract dispute with FOX so we may or already have lost those channels. It is only $40 a month which makes it very practical. I probably will have to switch to someone with FOX channels if sports ever comeback on!
This.......I was happy with PS Vue, but I am happier with YoutubeTv. I only pay $53 a month, that's all fee's taxes ect. where I was paying $128 a month originally for DTV. I think their is only one channel I had on PS Vue that I don't have on Youtube, but I have noticed that it doesn't stop while the signal is buffering much at all, where with the PS Vue it was doing it some what constantly. I have the middle package, which means I have everything but HBO and such.

Just cancelled Directv yesterday, they spent a lot of time trying to justify increase from $68 to $115/mo. Youtube TV was a no brainer for me.

Reactions: BBHawk
For non Cub fans, You Tube TV is my recommendation. Otherwise, it's probably Hulu Live TV, although its DVR situation is seriously lacking compared to YouTube TV, and Hulu costs more. But I will never return to Direc TV. I'm paying one third what I used to pay, and I've never missed a game or a show that I wanted to see.

YouTubeTV. I just canceled DirecTV, too. I tried YouTubeTV side by side for 3 months just to prove to my spouse that we could do it. We'll save $100+/month as a result.

And I liked DirecTV. I just can't justify the extreme cost of it.

Download the YouTube app on your TV so you can watch anything off of YT on your tv.
You can find some awesome old Iowa stuff, anything you're seeking really.

And it's free.

Reactions: BBHawk
I got rid of cable years ago and don't pay for any streaming service. I have never missed anything that I wanted to see. The only thing I've paid for was btn+ for wrestling, which costs $30 over 3.5 months.

I got rid of cable years ago and don't pay for any streaming service. I have never missed anything that I wanted to see. The only thing I've paid for was btn+ for wrestling, which costs $30 over 3.5 months.
I’m confused. How do you watch Iowa football and basketball games on ESPN and regular BTN?

I was the OP of the other thread that was referenced. Posters provided a lot of great info and so there might be some good stuff in there. Ended up with Hulu Live TV and it was a great decision even though sports shut down about a week after the switch lol. It ended up being fantastic for this stay home crap to have shows and movies available through Hulu paired with what is available on Netflix.

Thanks to the advice of people on here I was able to get my mother in law to switch over and save her a lot of money, and a good friend of mine.

I went from direct tv to PSVUE to YouTube tv...youtubr tv is AMAZING. I also have sling blue for nfl network and history channel and Netflix.

I’m confused. How do you watch Iowa football and basketball games on ESPN and regular BTN?
There are links provided online for free if you look for them. HD streams. I hook my computer into my TV and can watch whatever I want.

Edit to Add: This applies to NFL, MLB, MMA (don't' watch much of that,) too. I assume NBA is the same, but I have no interest.

Last edited:
There are links provided online for free if you look for them. HD streams. I hook my computer into my TV and can watch whatever I want.

Edit to Add: This applies to NFL, MLB, MMA (don't' watch much of that,) too. I assume NBA is the same, but I have no interest.
Thanks. I watch too much sports (and flip channels too much in football and basketball season) to want to do that, but it sounds good for you.

Thanks. I watch too much sports (and flip channels too much in football and basketball season) to want to do that, but it sounds good for you.
I do too—sports are literally all I watch-and I haven’t had any issues. Typically watch 3 games at once. It’s actually a pretty sweet setup, and best of all-free.

Hey all - finally decided to be done with Direct TV. With Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc., really all I was using Direct TV for was Iowa Football and basketball.

I am not much of a techie, but for those in the know, what is best way to still get ESPN and Big Ten Network. Hulu Live? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

I cancelled DirectTV in November after being a customer for 20 years. We got a Roku stick and signed up for YouTubeTV. I actually have more sports options now than I did with a premium DirectTV tier. Not that there are any sports to watch now, but saving $100+/month or more is pretty nice. I get everything I was getting with DirectTV and more.

Reactions: BaldHawk4Life
I cancelled DirectTV in November after being a customer for 20 years. We got a Roku stick and signed up for YouTubeTV. I actually have more sports options now than I did with a premium DirectTV tier. Not that there are any sports to watch now, but saving $100+/month or more is pretty nice. I get everything I was getting with DirectTV and more.

I did the same thing but with Hulu. I actually really like the Roku remote and organization of the stuff we use. We bought Roku Sticks even for our Smart TVs.

I did the same thing but with Hulu. I actually really like the Roku remote and organization of the stuff we use. We bought Roku Sticks even for our Smart TVs.
Just ordered my second Stick+. I really liked the first one and how easily it paired with my old (2013) Samsung TV. Nice using one remote for almost everything.

Just ordered my second Stick+. I really liked the first one and how easily it paired with my old (2013) Samsung TV. Nice using one remote for almost everything.

Exactly! We just bought a new Samsung TV and the Stick+ hasn’t been delivered yet. We are learning how much of a pain the Smart TV can be without this little addition.

I was a Direct TV customer for 10 years and after my bill almost doubled to $120 a month they refused to give any sort of discount after calling multiple times. Cut the cord and got Hulu Live paying half as much and have never missed a sporting event I wanted to see.

Went to Hulu live a couple years ago and have never missed an Iowa game. Has all the kids channels we wanted however they are now more into Xbox and you tube so I’m the only one who watches anything live, except my wife when the bachelor / bachelorette comes on

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT