ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Drake’s C Liam Robbins Transferring

After seeing Robbins play in high school it's hard to imagine he'd be what he is today. Much credit to him for a of the hard work he put in to get here. I'd love to see him at Iowa but I don't see how it's going to happen. For us old timers he is similar to Kevin Kunnert back in the day. A very similar story line on how they developed in my mind.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that it would be a weird choice to jump on that sinking ship when you have the opportunity to play for a winner and learn from an All-American while being an hour from home.

Don't we see players do this all the time play for family members and help family memberm get big positions?

After seeing Robbins play in high school it's hard to imagine he'd be what he is today. Much credit to him for a of the hard work he put in to get here. I'd love to see him at Iowa but I don't see how it's going to happen. For us old timers he is similar to Kevin Kunnert back in the day. A very similar story line on how they developed in my mind.
Kevin Kunnert was arguably the best center in Iowa history prior to Luka, so can sign me up if he is even close to that good. The game was a little different then, but he was a very solid all-round player.

Reactions: skydog0784
That's interesting. He could be very effective in the B1G based on the few games I watched him play last year. Legit 7'0 footer, good footwork and shot.

Would need to get stronger in his red shirt season and he'd improve so much going against Garza, Nunge, and Josh O. in practice.

This would be a great thing if this materializes IMO.
If Luca comes back that guy would have a year of experience working against Luka which would be a huge help to this kid and Luka

Reactions: perryhawk
If Luca comes back that guy would have a year of experience working against Luka which would be a huge help to this kid and Luka

And all you have to do is look at the way Luka developed at Iowa to see an opportunity for Liam to increase his value as a pro significantly. The Iowa staff can make him into a faster, quicker version of Luka who can defend the rim better. There's a lot of money waiting for a player like that.

I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that Minnesota saves $250,000 on the buyout if it fires Pitino after May 1. Uncle Conroy doesn't get a raise if he doesn't have a job. Minnesota would be an incredibly risky choice for a bunch of reasons.

He isn't getting fired. Minnesota athletic director loves him & he already knew gophers were going to have a down year. Evan daniels & jeff Goodmann are not fakenews. To say, I am jumping to conclusions isn't true! So iowa reporters are also wrong?

You’re jumping to conclusions. Why would Robbins care if his uncle was an assistant coach or associate head coach? Neither is the head job.

Minnesota just lost assistant coach Rob Jeter to WIU. I take Conroy’s promotion as a response to Jeter’s departure.

Just like kids going go schools there parents or other family members are at. It happens! If Pitino brings gophers to the dance & carr comes back, they will be good

I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that Minnesota saves $250,000 on the buyout if it fires Pitino after May 1. Uncle Conroy doesn't get a raise if he doesn't have a job. Minnesota would be an incredibly risky choice for a bunch of reasons.
I don't think there is any chance of Pitino losing his job (now) before this next year, but think if he doesn't do better this year (and have them in the NCAA tournament), then he could easily be gone for the 2021 Season - when Robbins would be eligible to start playing again. I also don't see how Minny will be better (let alone as good) this coming year - with Oturo leaving. He meant as much to Minnesota as Garza meant / means to Iowa.

Again, I'm not saying Robbins to Minnesota isn't going to happen. I'm saying it would be a really unwise choice for the young man.

COVID-19 may save Pitino's job for now because Minnesota is going to be scared to pay the buyout given the current economic uncertainties around college sports. But with how little Minnesota has coming back--and Pitino's abysmal track record at Minnesota--the odds are very good Pitino will be fired before Robbins ever sees the floor.

Just like kids going go schools there parents or other family members are at. It happens! If Pitino brings gophers to the dance & carr comes back, they will be good

Even if Carr comes back, Minnesota is a long shot to make the tournament. If he doesn't come back--which is very real possibility given his expressed desire to stay in the draft--Minnesota may be battling Northwestern to stay out of last place.

Typically players like him transfer to still be a main guy, but also be in a bigger conference.
I think it would be great if Iowa could get him, but don't see why he would come here.

Typically players like him transfer to still be a main guy, but also be in a bigger conference.
I think it would be great if Iowa could get him, but don't see why he would come here.

You don't see why he would play for a winning program an hour from home that his family roots for that has an All-American he could learn from before stepping into a huge role when he's eligible?

You don't see why he would play for a winning program an hour from home that his family roots for that has an All-American he could learn from before stepping into a huge role when he's eligible?

Evan Daniels said he will petition the NCAa to play right away & it will happen! Right now in college basketball, his school that he's transferring from just has to say yes, even then apparently the ncaa will pass a rule shortly that will allow for that 1 time transfer and be able to play right away

Always liked Conroy and never understood why he would work for Lil Richard. Helluva of a paycheck now for as long as it lasts. Cannot believe Richie makes it to the start of the ‘21-‘22 season.

Even if that's the case, why risk it? If Carr leaves, even with Robbins Minnesota's best hope is an NIT bid.

Minnesota is desperate. They're pretty sleezy when they're only hungry for success. Who knows what kind of deals they'd make now.

The Goophs invested heavily in the Pitino brand but that brand is tarnished.

Why would the coaches change the successful starting line up that surged after Jack's injury. Indeed, Jack has shown little. An OK shot but very limited mobility, before the injury. He wasn't a good defender. The Iowa defense is what improved the most following Jack's injury.

Nunge is probably a more natural stretch 4. I think Nunge is more skilled too. What a front court that could be together. This would be a huge get, in my humble but also right opinion.

Lol Robbins is so much better than Nunge, not even close.

Evan Daniels said he will petition the NCAa to play right away & it will happen! Right now in college basketball, his school that he's transferring from just has to say yes, even then apparently the ncaa will pass a rule shortly that will allow for that 1 time transfer and be able to play right away

There won’t be a season next year so that’s a moot point but he would be a huge pickup.

And all you have to do is look at the way Luka developed at Iowa to see an opportunity for Liam to increase his value as a pro significantly. The Iowa staff can make him into a faster, quicker version of Luka who can defend the rim better. There's a lot of money waiting for a player like that.

I think that the way I would sell this young man is *Look how Luka has developed, *Look how we use our post player, *Work with Luka for a year *Look at how good our team is at feeding the post *****and look at the guards we have now and what we have coming in......

Reactions: pink shizzle

Maybe, but I guarantee the gap is not what you insinuate in “not even close”. The truth is we really don’t know. Watching both players as frosh you would have said Nunge was the better player “and it wasn’t even close”. We did not see enough of Nunge as a soph to really see if he had improved. I laugh at the posters who say the team “took off” after Nunge’s injury. The only loss he played in was DePaul in which he played a whopping 9 minutes.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if Liam Robbins would transfer into Iowa as a walk-on...Fran is not going to take 1 of his kids off of a scholarship no matter how is seem feasible to us......

Obviously none of us know what the Robbins kid will do right now, but I will say, Ricky Pitino, while nowhere as skeezy as his father, coaches the most talented, underperforming teams in the league and has for years.

Please elaborate on your reason(s) for saying that.

Why are we all assuming nunge plays behind Garza. I’m not saying he is going to start, but I do think his natural position is the 4. With how well Ogundele rebounds, I would rather see him on the court in Garza’s absence.

It is true that we do not know how good Nunge will be. Fran thought he was good enough to try to start him out of position as a freshman. That was disappointing, but Jack is clearly not a 3. Then, before he was injured, Fran started Nunge over Kriener and others at the 4. I am not close to the team, but there were numerous reports last year that fans were going to be very happy with Nunge and CJ. We are all pretty damn happy with CJ, and I thought Nunge was starting to come on right before being injured, after seeming hesitant and pressing in the first few games last year. I hope he can come back healthy and stay healthy. Then, we will see. I know that Fran has a great eye for talent when he sees it.

I have NOT seen Robbins play, but keep in mind that he was playing against a much lower level of competition than the B1G. It sounds like he would be a really good pick up, especially for the two years after Luka leaves. We would then have Nunge, Robbins and Big O to cover the 5 and the 4 at times.

ADVERTISEMENT