ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Drake’s C Liam Robbins Transferring

He's transferring because he's not starting, coming off bench, Walton committing, jamal mashburn jr getting his minutes. Carr is coming back. Before lying do some dam research. One player is going to NBA.

No other players left. People like you are fakenews
Bite me!

Oturu who is going to NBA. Oturu who stayed home over big time schools & who continues to recruit other players to play for Minnesota .

Only player leaving is willis. To say Oturu left because he was in a hurry isn't true
I believe he said people are leaving. Don’t recall the op putting qualifications on it

Likely would have been first team MVC next year.

I only bring it up because he’s a) from Davenport and b) a few posts on the Drake message board (yes there is one) indicates a few Iowa writers started following him on twitter.

Not trying to start a rumor. But interesting possibility. I’m a drake fan too and he’d fit in to Iowa’s system quite well IMO.
So he ended up at MN? Is he B1G-ready?

Last night Liam had 27 points, nine rebounds and five blocks in the Gophers' 90-61 victory against Missouri-Kansas City.

Drakes better without him. They can play faster, they’ve picked up the big guy transfer from Seton Hall. Could care less about him.

He's been battling an ankle injury. we'll see how he does next week vs the Illini.

from the story:

Robbins' career-high was 29 points last season, when he earned All-Missouri Valley second-team honors as Drake's top player. His first big offensive outing with the Gophers took longer than some fans expected against smaller teams, but he was patient.

The true test will be when Robbins faces 7-foot Kofi Cockburn in Tuesday's Big Ten opener at Illinois. Still, this was an important step.

"I see myself progressing as well as I see our team progressing," said Robbins. "I definitely had a rough start with a lot of foul trouble. And missing shots I usually make, but it's really a credit to my teammates and coaches. They never wavered with me."

When he put his name in the transfer portal in the spring, Robbins heard from more than 20 schools, including some blue-blood programs. In his second season at Drake, he became one of the top shot blockers in the nation. But he wanted to test himself in a more prominent conference.

In the first three games, Robbins struggled to finish consistently, averaging eight points on 41% shooting after battling an ankle injury.

In the past three games, Robbins limited fouls and made his presence felt on both ends. He had five blocks in a win against North Dakota. He had 14 points and eight rebounds in Tuesday's 85-80 overtime win against Boston College.

On Thursday, the Gophers established Robbins early. He opened the game with a three-pointer, and UMKC struggled to keep Minnesota and Robbins off the foul line in the first half.

Robbins had 14 points on 9-for-11 foul shooting in the first half to lead his team to a 43-31 halftime lead.

Isaiah Ihnen started at power forward for the Gophers, and the 6-9 sophomore displayed his potential as well, with a career-high 11 rebounds and two blocks.

"He's so tall and so big, he's a problem for almost every team we play," Ihnen said of Robbins. "That opens the court up for everybody else."

And why was he given immediate eligibility at Minnesota? The NCAA transfer decisions continue to baffle me. If some players don't have to sit out, there will be even more tampering than is done now. It seems as though it is getting easier and easier for big time schools to loot players from smaller programs. Need a big time shooter? Well Podunk U has a great player that fits the bill. Suddenly the kid decides he needs a new venue and he's immediately eligible to compete for his new school. Seems like the NCAA is opening a can of worms.

And why was he given immediate eligibility at Minnesota? The NCAA transfer decisions continue to baffle me. If some players don't have to sit out, there will be even more tampering than is done now. It seems as though it is getting easier and easier for big time schools to loot players from smaller programs. Need a big time shooter? Well Podunk U has a great player that fits the bill. Suddenly the kid decides he needs a new venue and he's immediately eligible to compete for his new school. Seems like the NCAA is opening a can of worms.
The whole transfer waiver process is a mess.

They should just allow EVERY player one do over; picked the wrong place out of high school then you can change ONCE for whatever reason you want. After that there would be some scrutiny to avoid a free for all of guys hopping teams every year. Grad transfer rule stands as is.

The whole transfer waiver process is a mess.

They should just allow EVERY player one do over; picked the wrong place out of high school then you can change ONCE for whatever reason you want. After that there would be some scrutiny to avoid a free for all of guys hopping teams every year. Grad transfer rule stands as is.
And WHO is going to do the scrutiny? Thats supposed to be happening now, and as we see thats clearly not the case.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT