ADVERTISEMENT

OT: former MSU player shot and killed

Isn’t this the 2nd former msu player to be shot and killed in the last few years?

Payne was shot trying to break up a dispute. Just a horrible situation, and he seemed like a genuinely good person.
Sounds like a "Stand your ground" argument would protect the shooter. It was his home and he said he felt threatened, thought Payne was armed. His dad backed him up.

The shooter left the proximity of the dispute, went into the house to retrieve a firearm, and then shot the victim upon returning to the scene of the dispute. 'Stand your ground' laws will not apply once the trial begins because he didn't have to return - he chose to return. It is going to be a tough sell for the defense.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
The shooter left the proximity of the dispute, went into the house to retrieve a firearm, and then shot the victim upon returning to the scene of the dispute. 'Stand your ground' laws will not apply once the trial begins because he didn't have to return - he chose to return. It is going to be a tough sell for the defense.
That same thing has happened before with the shooter being acquitted. All he needs to prove is that he felt threatened. Getting a gun to defend yourself is perfectly legal. The law allows it.

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
There is no record of the shooter calling 911 to express his fear of imminent bodily harm while he was inside the house where he was safe. I think the prosecutor will slam dunk this with a plea deal.

There is no record of the shooter calling 911 to express his fear of imminent bodily harm while he was inside the house where he was safe. I think the prosecutor will slam dunk this with a plea deal.
There is nothing in the law about that

You may be right, BB, we will see how it plays out. Florida does have a Castle Doctrine that has withstood many court cases.

There is, however, a record of the shooter calling 911 and saying Payne was shooting at him.

Another instance was

And this one

Rough stories for people close to, or related to someone attending MSU.

ADVERTISEMENT