ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hawkeye Heaven Has Lost Roughly 1,000 Followers In 24 Hours

Oh well that settles it then. If you haven't heard of HH, then neither have the 120,000 people who have liked the FB page, the 20,000 people who liked the post about wearing all gold, and the 12,000 people who shared the post.

And again, it isn't necessarily *this* one thing (though the university wasn't thrilled from what I've heard), it's what Levi has done as a whole. His usurping of the plans for Saturday just brought other stuff to light moreso than other times in the past.
I don't think that you really believe he has the power to "usurp the plans". maybe you do. the stuff about taking credit for the wave is kind of a d-bag move. and the drunken stuff. and the taking of copyright stuff. yes. but really? usurping the power of the U of I and making the whole thing gold for 80K fans? that would be pretty cool if he could do this actually. I don't believe he could.

I don't think that you really believe he has the power to "usurp the plans". maybe you do. the stuff about taking credit for the wave is kind of a d-bag move. and the drunken stuff. and the taking of copyright stuff. yes. but really? usurping the power of the U of I and making the whole thing gold for 80K fans? that would be pretty cool if he could do this actually. I don't believe he could.

Again, given the fact that tens of thousands of people saw the post, and many people are under the illusion he's some sort of official spokesperson for the Hawkeyes, people were going to wear gold regardless (and they posted as much online).

Again, given the fact that tens of thousands of people saw the post, and many people are under the illusion he's some sort of official spokesperson for the Hawkeyes, people were going to wear gold regardless (and they posted as much online).
putin needs to hire him. he may have already. hee hee

Why doesnt Tom just go kick this guys ass. Thats what Bob Brooks would have done. Bob Brooks was a bad ass.

Reactions: QChawks
Yes the crappy part is there are a lot of people that think he is some sort of spokesperson for the university and overlook the stealing of copyrighted material due to 'Wave' and hiding behind a 'for the troops' excuse. Yes a lot of people have not heard of him or his site but plenty of idiots have. As the saying goes, Idiots speak the loudest. He's succeeded in making the UI look like the bad guy this weekend for not changing the planned black/gold spirit game.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Yep, what I've read about him is pretty damning....but I still don't see the issue with the state outline and the area code. Maybe that's in poor taste since it's associated with a charity, but that's not really content anyone single entity can claim ownership over. These shirts, hats and decals exist all over the country.
I'm with you on that one. My interpretation was that he'd done enough other shady stuff that people were looking to jump on him for something and weren't going to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

There was a tweet from the U showing the stadium/stripe location just yesterday and the first comment was like, “isn’t it all gold now for Celia?”

Seriously, the person responded to the school’s account posting that it’s stripes.

Yes, his page and word of mouth has clout. Which can be good, like the wave.

I’d bet a hefty sum of money he did it without knowing it was a stripe game. He saw the ISU thing (which was homegrown and great) and immediately thought, “me too!” and ran to Facebook.

Then the little slime ball actually had the fall to applaud UNI for doing the “right thing” as a clearly unequivocal jab at the school he claims to support.

His page is great for fans getting together and sharing comments/photos - and that is all it should be. But he built that following through theft. Toss him out and it’s be a good page.

I decided to unfollow him. Always enjoyed seeing fan posts in different places of the world but I started to get wary when he started peddling shirts after the Wave. Then giving an order to the followers to do something, knowing it was directly against the school kinda pissed me off. Then he took a jab at Iowa by saying UNI did the right thing. That was enough for me.

Probably should have earlier, especially after learning he has a domestic assault charge against him and wasn’t paying chhild support for a time, but oh well.

And to OiT, he most definitely has clout. See the Wave. His followers are pretty loyal and think he actually represents the university.

I started to get wary when he started peddling shirts after the Wave.

Just curious how you feel about others that are "peddling" shirts on the back of the wave, as there are other groups out there writing large checks but none of us have full transparency on how the money actually works.

There was a tweet from the U showing the stadium/stripe location just yesterday and the first comment was like, “isn’t it all gold now for Celia?”

Seriously, the person responded to the school’s account posting that it’s stripes.

Yes, his page and word of mouth has clout. Which can be good, like the wave.

I’d bet a hefty sum of money he did it without knowing it was a stripe game. He saw the ISU thing (which was homegrown and great) and immediately thought, “me too!” and ran to Facebook.

Then the little slime ball actually had the fall to applaud UNI for doing the “right thing” as a clearly unequivocal jab at the school he claims to support.

His page is great for fans getting together and sharing comments/photos - and that is all it should be. But he built that following through theft. Toss him out and it’s be a good page.
You would lose your money. He knew darn well it is a stripe game. He did this to call attention to himself.

Unfortunately, he has a lot of followers who fully support him and everything he does.

You would lose your money. He knew darn well it is a stripe game. He did this to call attention to himself.

Unfortunately, he has a lot of followers who fully support him and everything he does.

I agree he did it for himself. No doubt about that.

I think what he’s doing is actually worse than many are seeing, as he was stealing the “thunder” or “good-will” from the Kempt/golf-team messages and article. But, shit, that seems to be what Facebook is for these days.

I agree he did it for himself. No doubt about that.

I think what he’s doing is actually worse than many are seeing, as he was stealing the “thunder” or “good-will” from the Kempt/golf-team messages and article. But, shit, that seems to be what Facebook is for these days.

After he posted the Kempt message, one of the first comments was from a woman saying Iowa should do the same-so again, was not his idea, but he took the credit for it.

so when the stripes happen, it looks cool on tv, nobody wears all gold in the wrong section, or maybe one or two do and it does not show up on tv, are you guys still gonna come on here and say he has clout and followers?

Also in this thread, from a Gazette writer:

Iowa fans, I have a favor to ask

SAM PAXTON·WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 2018
To all my friends who support University of Iowa athletics (and hey, those who support Iowa State, as well), I have a favor to ask.
If you follow the Facebook page and Twitter feed “Hawkeye Heaven,” I humbly ask you to unfollow him. I wish you’d block him, actually, but I’ll settle for an unfollow. I’ll tell you why:
Most, if not all, of you know that I’ve been a professional sports journalist my entire adult life. My colleagues at The Gazette and my peers at the Des Moines Register, the Iowa City Press-Citizen, The Athletic, Tom Kakert’s Hawkeye Report and Jon Miller’s Hawkeye Nation, as well as countless other newspapers and legitimate media outlets, work tremendously hard at what we do, be it writers, photographers, editors, designers and online. Over the years, “Hawkeye Heaven” has taken photos and ideas from reputable journalists (and even readers, for that matter) on many occasions, and tried to pass them off as his own. I can name colleagues of mine that have presented him with cease-and-desist requests for using their photos without permission.
The Kinnick Wave that we all cherish across this state, regardless of fanbase? The woman credited with the idea posted it to HIS page. That is true. “Hawkeye Heaven” then took the idea and reposted it under the heading “so I was thinking …”
That’s what he does. Thankfully, KCRG and Land of 10 did their research (those are just two I remember ... and I’m sure there are countless others I haven’t seen) and gave credit to the true creator of the idea -- Krista Young of Anita, Iowa. “Hawkeye Heaven” never SAID it was his idea, true, but he didn’t give credit where credit was due, either … that is, until it took off and he was loudly called out for it, of course. But because Krista posted the idea to his page, he has been unfairly cited by many as the voice of the Hawkeye masses.
Those area code t-shirts that many of you undoubtedly own? Yep, he pretty much stole that idea, too. https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...ipping-off-logo-from-charitable-group.236987/
Which brings me to today.
Everyone at this point is probably aware that Iowa State has asked their fans to wear yellow to their game on Saturday as a tribute to their (tragically and senselessly) murdered golf champion Celia Barquin Arozamena. It’s a wonderful gesture.
That same night, Iowa plays Wisconsin under the lights. Months ago, the university announced that the game would be their annual “stripe the stadium” game – alternating black and gold throughout Kinnick Stadium. There are literally thousands of season-ticket holders who get this information directly from the UI Sports Information Department.
“Hawkeye Heaven” – without any consultation with the university – went on HIS Facebook page and suggested that IOWA and ITS fans instead wear yellow, as well.
Hey, I admit it ... it’s a great gesture on paper.
But the problem is that he did this without consulting the university first, confusing his many followers into thinking that this was actually a plan that was in the works. And because of that, he’s put the idea into the heads of all the little old ladies of the state of Iowa that THIS. MUST. HAPPEN. And then when it doesn’t happen (the university has already announced that the striped game is still a go), the people out there who follow him or see his posts getting shared that DON’T realize he is neither a member of the media NOR a spokesman for the university will unfairly judge the UI officials and its fans as heartless monsters with no compassion.
The University of Iowa and its fans will most likely honor Celia, as well as Mollie Tibbetts, in their own way, and allow Iowa State and its fans to mourn and celebrate Celia’s life in THEIR own way.
But because “Hawkeye Heaven” recklessly floated this idea without consulting those in the know first, he has unwittingly found another way to sew dissension not only between the Iowa and Iowa State fanbases, but the people of Iowa at large – in a way NONE of us need. In addition, he has completely undermined the efforts of the very institution that he claims to support.
So, I ask again, please unfollow him. You don’t need to get internet muscles and confront him. Just unfollow him. Then, check out the many legitimate media outlets covering the Hawkeyes, mostly because he liberally lifts from all of our content anyway, so you might as well just go to the source … might I suggest “On Iowa”?
Or if you like the free stuff, try “Go Iowa Awesome” or “Black Heart Gold Pants”; I mean, they are fan-operated sites, as well – not accredited media – but at least they link to their sources and give the Gazette, the Register, The Athletic, etc., the proper credit.
So, on Saturday …
Iowa State fans, honor Celia. Wear yellow. Make her, her family, her teammates and your extended fanbase proud.
Iowa fans, stripe the stadium. Don’t give in to the trolls that “Hawkeye Heaven” has created.
And if it helps, look at it this way … wear gold for Celia, wear black for Mollie. And the state can and will stand united over these two senseless tragedies.
(And for the record, that idea was not my own. My friend and co-worker said it to me off the cuff tonight. See, I can give credit to those who deserve it).

Reactions: JWolf74
Yes, he stole photographs from official university-sanctioned/news photographers. One of the photographers took legal steps against him. He's also stolen pictures/other info that isn't copyrighted and passed them off as his own.

Someone (not sure if this someone was with the university or a reporter) purposely gave him bad info about a recruit or a transfer a few years ago and he ran and told everybody....it was a ridiculous story to begin with. Many laughs were had at his expense. He doesn't get scoops from insiders. The university (athletic department anyway) can't stand him.
a former Register photographer had numerous pictures stolen from him that were posted on Hawkeye Heaven where no credit was given by Hawkeye Heaven/Levi Thompson.

The phototrapher pointed out that all of the theft allowed Levi Thompson to garner 120,000 followers.

Levi has profited from this theft:

* He sold ownership of Hawkeye Heaven to at least 2 other people.

* He makes money promoting concerts, companies' products and game watches. he does not post about these things for free.

* He is making money off the hats/shirts/other apparel.

Bottom line; By stealing from others, he grew to a following of 120,000; from there he has profited substantially.

Oh well that settles it then. If you haven't heard of HH, then neither have the 120,000 people who have liked the FB page, the 20,000 people who liked the post about wearing all gold, and the 12,000 people who shared the post.

And again, it isn't necessarily *this* one thing (though the university wasn't thrilled from what I've heard), it's what Levi has done as a whole. His usurping of the plans for Saturday just brought other stuff to light moreso than other times in the past.
yeah, if the stripe out tomorrow night turns out looking like a disaster on national TV, we know who to blame

Hell, if you are watching the Iowa State game:

* Iowa State could not even get their fans to wear yellow. Many were in maroon, instead.

* The Iowa State players? They DID NOT wear yellow. They wore maroon helmets, maroon jerseys and white pants.

And Hawkeye Heaven wanted a gold out at Kinnick? Even though it's been planned as a stripe out game for months?

HAWKEYE HEAVEN is a joke.

HAWKEYE HEAVEN is a thief.

Time to unfollow or block him on Facebook because he boasts about those 120,000 followers when he sells ads. Ads, you say? Well, when he promotes and posts about concerts, products, and game watches at bars, he is not doing that for FREE.

Also, all of the shirts and hats he is currently selling? He can do that and profit from that because his 120,000 followers were the result of theft from real journalists.

Last edited:
I posted this in the football post, but the lady who suggested the wave made a post in defense of HH. Basically said she mentioned what others were probably thinking, wouldn't have been possible without HH promoting it, and so on.

I posted this in the football post, but the lady who suggested the wave made a post in defense of HH. Basically said she mentioned what others were probably thinking, wouldn't have been possible without HH promoting it, and so on.

Which is fine. But Levi took credit for it like it was his idea

a former Register photographer had numerous pictures stolen from him that were posted on Hawkeye Heaven where no credit was given by Hawkeye Heaven/Levi Thompson.

The phototrapher pointed out that all of the theft allowed Levi Thompson to garner 120,000 followers.

Levi has profited from this theft:

* He sold ownership of Hawkeye Heaven to at least 2 other people.

* He makes money promoting concerts, companies' products and game watches. he does not post about these things for free.

* He is making money off the hats/shirts/other apparel.

Bottom line; By stealing from others, he grew to a following of 120,000; from there he has profited substantially.

He sold something he started for basically nothing? WHO in the hell bought into HH and for how much?

Dude is a POS.

Yes, what he did for The Wave was great. But he took credit for it. It wasn't his idea, he just provided the platform.

16 months ago he had like 20k followers.

Anyone who doesn't believe he's profitiing from The Wave, is a fool

ADVERTISEMENT