ADVERTISEMENT

OT HS basketball- The shot clock, year one.

Feb 25, 2008
So now that the regular season of year one with a shot clock in Iowa high school basketball is almost in the books, I think we can begin to ask the simple question......................

Was it necessary?..........Or was it not?

P.S. Did it at least do its job of bringing scoring to a higher level across the board, and eliminate boys 4A stall ball tactics?........

I thought it would be a bigger issue than it has been. Minimal stoppages to correct the shot clock, no inadvertent buzzers.
And, the ends of games have been so much better, as opposed to teams stalling away half the final quarter like some would last year.

I thought it would be a bigger issue than it has been. Minimal stoppages to correct the shot clock, no inadvertent buzzers.
And, the ends of games have been so much better, as opposed to teams stalling away half the final quarter like some would last year.

This. I was surprised as well. They've done a fine job implementing the change.

Haven't seen that many violations either. Crowds are doing a good job helping players with awareness as the clock gets close.

When I was in high school there was no shot clock in Indiana (I have no idea if there is one right now) but it was ok because there seemed to be a gentlemen's agreement between coaches and players that everyone was going to try to keep playing and score until you got under about 30 seconds left.

Of course the moment one team decides to hang onto the ball for several minutes with a small lead is the moment a shot clock becomes necessary. Because of that I'm honestly not opposed to a shot clock at pretty much all levels of competitive basketball.

When I was in high school there was no shot clock in Indiana (I have no idea if there is one right now) but it was ok because there seemed to be a gentlemen's agreement between coaches and players that everyone was going to try to keep playing and score until you got under about 30 seconds left.

Of course the moment one team decides to hang onto the ball for several minutes with a small lead is the moment a shot clock becomes necessary. Because of that I'm honestly not opposed to a shot clock at pretty much all levels of competitive basketball.
I will say that I'd almost rather have a mandatory shot clock for JV basketball, than for varsity girls.............

Tough go for OP, as he finally realizes he's in the minority on the shot clock.
And a tough go for you now that you realize I never thought I was speaking for the majority on the shot clock............ :)

P.S. Basketball without the shot clock > basketball with the shot clock......simply because it bothers people, and this thread is further proof of that. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
So now that the regular season of year one with a shot clock in Iowa high school basketball is almost in the books, I think we can begin to ask the simple question......................

P.S. Did it at least do its job of bringing scoring to a higher level across the board, and eliminate boys 4A stall ball tactics?........
I think we have had one shot clock violation all season. I haven't seen it affect girls basketball much at all in our games. I have seen other coaches, on film, take timeouts late in games with the lead to talk to their girls about jacking shots early in the shot clock, however.

the biggest issue is for schools that bought Fairplay scoreboards. They have been a technical nightmare. They go down, need updates, and don't work frequently. One school in our area had to play a few of their home games on the road because they couldn't get them working.

I think we have had one shot clock violation all season. I haven't seen it affect girls basketball much at all in our games. I have seen other coaches, on film, take timeouts late in games with the lead to talk to their girls about jacking shots early in the shot clock, however.
Oh that's something we deal with regardless of whether there's a shot clock or not...........

Reactions: Tom Paris
the biggest issue is for schools that bought Fairplay scoreboards. They have been a technical nightmare. They go down, need updates, and don't work frequently. One school in our area had to play a few of their home games on the road because they couldn't get them working.
See? SEE!?....I told you all. CANCEL THE SHOT CLOCK!!!

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

I don't know how much of an effect it had on our team. They went 17-1 and averaged 72ppg. I think they scored around 63ppg last season. However, they gave up 3ppg less this year, 44ppg last year, 41ppg this year. But quite a few teams in their conference suck, so scoring more and giving up less might have just been that.

Absolutely welcomed. Come districts, overmatched teams would just try to stall. That’s not basketball. Teaching those kids “valuable” life lessons

Absolutely welcomed. Come districts, overmatched teams would just try to stall. That’s not basketball. Teaching those kids “valuable” life lessons
Yeah well maybe those more talented team should let those overmatched teams win come the postseason for a change and learn a valuable life lesson of their own.......then maybe I'd be on board with the shot clock. @fivecardstud14

;)

We've had several issues this year with the shot clock and the stat panels. It's too bad our old superintendent was a tight ass and bought Fairplay. Can't wait until we go back to Daktronics.

I went to the Davenport Central game last night, my sons 4th grade team played at half, and hardly noticed the shot clock. I think it’s because I watch so much college basketball. Only recall 1-2 violations although there were a handful of chuck it up shots as it expired.

PV won by the way

It’s fvcking awesome. In the 10 or so games (boys and girls) I have been to, there have fortunately been no issues with the shot clock.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
I watched a little over half of our team's games (went to 4-5, watched others online) and I did notice one thing that is possibly based on the shot clock.

Our team is ranked and played a bunch of over matched teams. In the past, they'd kind of lay back in half court on defense and just challenge passing lanes, shots, interior ball movement. This year they were playing far tighter to the individual players. I'm wondering if, because of the shot clock, the feel they don't have to worry about doing that for longer each possession, they play tighter more often.

At the end of games, they do lay back. I'm just talking 1st half, early 3rd. But knowing they only have to go harder for 35 seconds, I think it changed their defense some.

I went to the Davenport Central game last night, my sons 4th grade team played at half, and hardly noticed the shot clock. I think it’s because I watch so much college basketball. Only recall 1-2 violations although there were a handful of chuck it up shots as it expired.

PV won by the way
I was there too as my (no pics) daughter cheers for Central. I hope your boy wasn't the one with the curly hair and head band that kept giving other kids the two handed shove lol.

There was only one issue with the shot clock in last night's game where it was mistakenly reset when Central knocked a PV pass out of bounds. It took them all of 20 seconds to get it reset to 7(should have been 8) and continue on with the game.

Put me in the shot clock proponent camp.

there is no strategy to stalling. Can you imagine if football was allowed to run 1 play a quarter.
Strategy? Perhaps not....perhaps yes...but SKILL in ball control, passing skills, mental discipline and mental toughness...,absolutely! Discipline and toughness for BOTH teams...especially the “more skilled” team.
On your football analogy...I had a great friend of mine who was a college level FB coach for years here in Iowa...He was known as an “offensive/ passing game savant” as a HC. Jack told me once that FB coaches are a pretty conservative lot for the most part. It’s all about “winning” games at the college level, especially. He told me that if a HC could make a deal to win every game he played in a season 2-0, in return he would promise to never run a play outside of tackle and never throw a pass of any kind, he couldn’t think of a coach that would say “no” to the deal.

I was there too as my (no pics) daughter cheers for Central. I hope your boy wasn't the one with the curly hair and head band that kept giving other kids the two handed shove lol.
haha!

No that wasn't mine, that kid refuses to pass the ball. That 3rd grade team always kicks their butt because of the selfish play of so many of the 4th graders.

Reactions: HawCory
The shot clock has been a welcome change, imo.

But I do believe it has highlighted the gap between good teams and bad.

And without data to back up my observation...I think three point shooting has also drastically increased in terms of number of shots. One team in my grandson's conference averages >30 threes per game.

The shot clock has been a welcome change, imo.

But I do believe it has highlighted the gap between good teams and bad.

And without data to back up my observation...I think three point shooting has also drastically increased in terms of number of shots. One team in my grandson's conference averages >30 threes per game.

3s only account for about 20% of our team's shot attempts. I think they attempted around 220 this year, out of around 1150 FGA. They attack and pound the ball to their bigs.

Strategy? Perhaps not....perhaps yes...but SKILL in ball control, passing skills, mental discipline and mental toughness...,absolutely! Discipline and toughness for BOTH teams...especially the “more skilled” team.
On your football analogy...I had a great friend of mine who was a college level FB coach for years here in Iowa...He was known as an “offensive/ passing game savant” as a HC. Jack told me once that FB coaches are a pretty conservative lot for the most part. It’s all about “winning” games at the college level, especially. He told me that if a HC could make a deal to win every game he played in a season 2-0, in return he would promise to never run a play outside of tackle and never throw a pass of any kind, he couldn’t think of a coach that would say “no” to the deal.
correct but they still have to snap the ball on a regular basis. Did you watch the sped up version of that game. There was no skill. in qt one the team stalling moved the ball a few times but after that is was stand around.

I have only seen a couple of shot clock violations this season. I would prefer that small schools go back to 6 on 6 for girls. I have watched some really bad teams this year that would benefit from getting the ball at half court to start each possession. That would make small school girls basketball unique and more fun to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT