ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ICE Rules Impacting Student Visa Holders

HeRKeYHoPeFuL

HR MVP
Dec 5, 2007
*** THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL THREAD -- THIS IS 100% FOCUSED ON THE POTENTIAL IMPACT TO THE 2020 NCAAB SEASON ***

I assume this would impact Josh Ogundele. I know Gonzaga and St. Mary's have had significant international players over the years, any other big name international players set to play for contenders this year that may be impacted?

Reactions: hawx and David1979
*** THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL THREAD -- THIS IS 100% FOCUSED ON THE POTENTIAL IMPACT TO THE 2020 NCAAB SEASON ***

I assume this would impact Josh Ogundele. I know Gonzaga and St. Mary's have had significant international players over the years, any other big name international players set to play for contenders this year that may be impacted?

yeah you see more and more foreign basketball players coming over. Michigan has the German kid. Completely ridiculous policy mean to try and strong arm universities into having in person classes. If I was a University or college I would just say that there are exceptions to the online classes if you don't have the ability to. So that means not all online and therefore foreign students still allowed.

Its going to crush Arizona. They have 7 recruits for 2020 class, 5 of which are overseas players. These cheaters deserve it!

Reactions: Ronman

It's only political because our idiot president decided this is a sensible policy.

It's only political because our idiot president decided this is a sensible policy.

Your opinion of President Trump would be better served on the OT board.

I get it, but this thread does not need to devolve into another vitriolic pissing match. I share the OP's hope that this thread can stay focused on the intended topic and we can get actual updates on Josh's progress in getting to Iowa City. There's nothing more annoying than having to read through seven pages of back-and-forth, hyper-charged political bickering just to get to one update or post of substance.

Just saying, let's keep the snarky comments on the OT board.

Reactions: JRingo
Your opinion of President Trump would be better served on the OT board.

I get it, but this thread does not need to devolve into another vitriolic pissing match. I share the OP's hope that this thread can stay focused on the intended topic and we can get actual updates on Josh's progress in getting to Iowa City. There's nothing more annoying than having to read through seven pages of back-and-forth, hyper-charged political bickering just to get to one update or post of substance.

Just saying, let's keep the snarky comments on the OT board.

Ok but why is this policy in place? Because the Administration is anti immigration. Kids and schools hurting because of it.

Ok but why is this policy in place? Because the Administration is anti immigration. Kids and schools hurting because of it.

IDK it might be they want to minimize who is coming and going from the country. I think the political angle is the foreign students are a cash cow for universities to the tune of $40billion a year which isnt the issue. The issue is the contracts with the foreign students and fortune 500 companies. It has suppressed wage growth and left few opportunities for US graduates and workers. It has allowed fortune 500 companies to pay low wages, an excuse not to hire US nationals and recent American college graduates, and to keep a lions share of the profits to themselves. I am all for legal immigration, and college visas. I'm not for the rich and powerful abusing systems to enrich themselves while they piss on foreign workers and American workers.

Maybe instead of fortune 500's having contracts with foreign college Visa holders and paying them low wages upon graduation the fortune 500's could make contracts with the big city African American communities and help them with a college education and a contracted job with a fortune 500 company?

Last edited:
IDK it might be they want to minimize who is coming and going from the country. I think the political angle is the foreign students are a cash cow for universities to the tune of $40billion a year which isnt the issue. The issue is the contracts with the foreign students and fortune 500 companies. It has suppressed wage growth and left few opportunities for US graduates and workers. It has allowed fortune 500 companies to pay low wages, an excuse not to hire US nationals and recent American college graduates, and to keep a lions share of the profits to themselves. I am all for legal immigration, and college visas. I'm not for the rich and powerful abusing systems to enrich themselves while they piss on foreign workers and American workers.

Maybe instead of fortune 500's having contracts with foreign college Visa holders and paying them low wages upon graduation the fortune 500's could make contracts with the big city African American communities and help them with a college education and a contracted job with a fortune 500 company?

Many of these students are already here. And any who aren't are coming from countries where COVID is less of a risk than the US, the world's leader in infections. We want more talent in the US, not less. The economic argument is a fallacy. Further, if Garza goes pro and Iowa doesn't have a backup center this year or a quality punter on their football team it will be because of Trump supporters electing a fool in 2016. Another reason for Iowa to vote out Trump in 2020.

As to the OPs question. Yeah this will have a major impact on college sports. Maybe something will get worked out. Typically what happens after a policy is set in place some changes happen after groups speak out how said policy affects them. This isnt going to be a normal year so abnormal things will happen and the college athletic world will adjust. I feel for the kids. I played college sports its such a fun but brief time in your life. I wish they could all enjoy the experience like I was able to. Feel for them all right now especially college and HS kids having their SR and JR years being interupted.

Reactions: HeRKeYHoPeFuL
Many of these students are already here. And any who aren't are coming from countries where COVID is less of a risk than the US, the world's leader in infections. We want more talent in the US, not less. The economic argument is a fallacy. Further, if Garza goes pro and Iowa doesn't have a backup center this year or a quality punter on their football team it will be because of Trump supporters electing a fool in 2016. Another reason for Iowa to vote out Trump in 2020.

Wow dude. The economic part is not a fallacy. Fortune 500's have been abusing these loopholes like crazy. Pretty sure Trump has even done this with his businesses. Both political parties need to figure that crap out and stop letting their rich donors rule the country and suppress middle and lower America. I don't live in Iowa but if Iowans want to vote out Trump because Iowa might not have a backup center this winter then things must be pretty awesome in Iowa right now.

So, I guess that was a NO on not turning this thread into yet another political rant?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You have no idea where they are coming from and even if you did you don't know that they are coming from an area with less risk of catching Covid. The only reason the US has the most cases is because we have tested multiple times more people than any other country so the numbers you suggest can't be know in a direct comparison. Nor can the actual number of deaths in those countries. But hey keep the propaganda coming. That way more people will be ill-informed.

You have no idea where they are coming from and even if you did you don't know that they are coming from an area with less risk of catching Covid. The only reason the US has the most cases is because we have tested multiple times more people than any other country so the numbers you suggest can't be know in a direct comparison. Nor can the actual number of deaths in those countries. But hey keep the propaganda coming. That way more people will be ill-informed.

This whole post is a bunch of nonsense.

Reactions: Bee93

:rolleyes:

ICE Rules! :)

giphy.gif

Looks like Ogundele can finally make the trip to Iowa City. Travel ban for international students is lifted.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT