ADVERTISEMENT

OT - In the spirit of fundraising

Wendy79

HR Legend
Jun 3, 2002
My friend Eric has been waiting over 1000 days for a new heart. He was born with a congenital defect called transposition of the great arteries (TGA), so his blood made two separate loops (heart/lung and heart/body) instead of one big loop (heart/lung/heart/body); some of you may know/know of Hailey Steimel from Solon, who was born with the same defect and got a new heart a few years ago. A hole in his heart is basically what saved him when he was little. He required several surgeries when he was young and has had a pacemaker (and more recently pacemaker/defib) for over 20 years.

He was listed on UI's heart transplant list in August 2014. He was recently able to get listed at UNMC in Omaha.

He got the call around 11am today, and he and his gf are currently on their way to Omaha. If you are so inclined, please say a little something for Eric and Tammy, the incredible staff at UNMC, and of course the donor/donor's family who were incredibly generous during a tragic day.

Below is a link to Eric's fundraiser...feel free to take a look. The shirts are incredibly comfortable.

Hopefully by bedtime tonight Eric's new heart will be lub-dubbing away once more.

https://onemission.fund/support/erics-change-of-heart/

They just finished testing the heart, a bit later than expected. It's a match. He's going in around 9 and should take about 4 hours.

Reactions: Huck and IAChief32
My first wife had a congenital heart defect at birth and had a heart transplant at Mayo clinic. It was amazing watching the transformation that took place. I hope the same goes for Eric! I will pray for him.

Reactions: Huck
Eric is headed home. He had a speedy recovery, though a leaky drainage tube delayed him a few days. The new heart is a keeper. It's possible his donor also saved a young woman's life as well, as a family's daughter was getting lungs while Eric was getting his heart. It's likely the donor saved at least a few other lives and improved countless others.

For those of you heading west to Lincoln, wave to the great people at UNMC as you pass the 42nd St exit in Omaha. And please register to be an organ donor and tell your loved ones of your wishes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT