ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Iowa City West vs Dowling Catholic on Friday

Des Moines schools almost always win the last decade or so. Not positive but isn’t this correct? Eastern Iowa’s falling behind & getting too small to compete with the DM metro.

Des Moines schools almost always win the last decade or so. Not positive but isn’t this correct? Eastern Iowa’s falling behind & getting too small to compete with the DM metro.
Yes, pretty much spot on. Eastern Iowa dominated through the 90s but it has been all Valley, Ankeny (before they split) and most recently Dowling since.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Yes, pretty much spot on. Eastern Iowa dominated through the 90s but it has been all Valley, Ankeny (before they split) and most recently Dowling since.
The Muskies will be throwing a wrench into things in 3 yrs. :)

Can they both lose? It's just a sad state of affairs that the same teams win all the time.

East hasn’t won since aj derby team in 2009. Then two close losses and rest blowouts.

Its cyclical. The schools are not smaller, but Iowa City did realize that sports are secondary and broke up West, which is more that you can saw for WDM which keeps Valley together simply for football. To Ankeny's credit they did too. Its doesn't help that City High went in the crapper.

Its cyclical. The schools are not smaller, but Iowa City did realize that sports are secondary and broke up West, which is more that you can saw for WDM which keeps Valley together simply for football. To Ankeny's credit they did too. Its doesn't help that City High went in the crapper.
You do know west Des Moines kids all don't go to valley right that are split up between valley, waukee and some to van meter.,

Last edited:
Don't follow high school football, but it's hard to believe that Dowling is the best team in the state. I went to the Johnston/Dowling quarterfinal game and Johnston looked just as good, if not better than Dowling in that game.

Just a quick shout out to IHSAA or whomever it was who made the decision to give the TV rights to NBC Sports Chicago and screw Iowa residents out of being able to watch Iowa HS football playoffs. Hope the $$$ was worth it, pricks.

Reactions: anon_hc7hkvtk15hp5
West has a very good chance of winning as long as they play defense like they have been the last 2 months. They are explosive offensively, but it will come down to defense.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Dowling grad here. From back in the Bob Hansen days. 5 years in a row come Friday!!
Experience will win out!!

The week to week grind for Des Moines teams is much tougher than CR/IC teams. Seeing what Dowling did to Centennial doesn't bode well for West. Maroons cruise again.

Dowling has been good for 60 years. Lots of culture and great coaching. The Des Moines-area schools are just too big. Valley's the biggest school in the state, by far; Dowling's the biggest Catholic school, by far. Bettendorf is one of the very biggest, and so is Iowa City West. Size, tradition and strong coaching. Hard for other schools to compete with. The talented kids find their way into those systems at an early age- usually by elementary and middle school. Mom and Dad want the best for their kids. And these schools just happen to be very excellent academically, so much better chance of a college scholarship. Same with the powers in 3A, like Xavier, Wahlert and Pella. Colleges love kids from those strong academic schools. And pretty much the same story in every state in the U.S. (Obviously, there are a lot of other strong academic schools in Iowa, but the pattern is set.)

Last edited:
Dowling has been good for 60 years. Lots of culture and great coaching. The Des Moines-area schools are just too big. Valley's the biggest school in the state; Dowling's the biggest Catholic school. Bettendorf is one of the very biggest, and so is Iowa City West. Size, tradition and coaching. Hard for other schools to compete with. The talented kids find their way into those systems at an early age- elementary and middle school. Mom and Dad want the best for their kids. And these schools just happen to be very good academically.

Which is why it's baffling how Linn-Mar can be so bad at football. Huge numbers, ridiculous field and $$$ resources, and they suck.

Linn-Mar is a great school, but school cultures differ. I think Linn-Mar won two state championships in football when Greg Purnell was their coach, but have been a mid-level MVC school most years since. In basketball and several other sports, the story is completely different- they are one of the top programs in the last twenty years, in basketball especially. Football is a strange animal, and a program has to be built at the lower levels to be good at the upper levels. Like Linn-Mar, the Dubuque schools have the same situation- all of them. Money, good academics, enrollment, but the football programs are all mediocre-- record-wise. A winning record is had by all three only if their schedule has five average to lousy teams on it. It's been years since a Dubuque school has beaten a top-ranked, good team in football. But they are all good at basketball and other sports. Just not football.

Last edited:
Linn-Mar is a great school, but school cultures differ. I think Linn-Mar won two state championships in football when Greg Purnell was their coach, but have been a mid-level MVC school most years since. In basketball and several other sports, the story is completely different- they are one of the top programs in the last twenty years, in basketball especially. Football is a strange animal, and a program has to be built at the lower levels to be good at the upper levels. Like Linn-Mar, the Dubuque schools have the same situation- all of them. Money, good academics, enrollment, but the football programs are all mediocre-- record-wise. A winning record is had by all three only if their schedule has five average to lousy teams on it. It's been years since a Dubuque school has beaten a top-ranked, good team in football. But they are all good at basketball and other sports. Just not football.

Thay had a top 5 team when david perry played and were rankedcpretty high.
Got crushed by crx in the playoffs and never have been good since.

Valley could be split into another 4A school of 1000 kids for BEDS (just like Ankeny did).

The tax-payers in WDM have chosen NOT to create 2 schools which would create 2 sets of overhead for administrators, buildings, maintenance, etc... Sounds Fiscally sound to me.

Who cares Iowa H. S football sucks... teams play at such a low level surprising that there are still a few players that come through it

The tax-payers in WDM have chosen NOT to create 2 schools which would create 2 sets of overhead for administrators, buildings, maintenance, etc... Sounds Fiscally sound to me.
They already have two because of Southwoods. Unless things changed. But nice try, it's because they don't want to start losing at things.

Not sure it's the best strategy to just slough off your extra to neighboring districts, but what do I know?

Who cares Iowa H. S football sucks... teams play at such a low level surprising that there are still a few players that come through it
Thanks, Eeyore.

Was pretty fun watching the central Iowa media guys fawning all over Pella and pretty much all of them picking Pella to win last night only to see them get curb stomped.

Pretty sure you are talking about Sam I. He is Waggoner brother (adopted) I think we are trying tonget them both with Sam I as a walk on. I think they are holding a scholly for him as a "back pocket" to land waggs I could be wrong though I have Not watch Dowling play. Maybe they have another stud wr.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT