ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Iowa Field Hockey Team

just didn't have it against NC. Congrads on a great season, ladies.

What year did they win the national championship???

just didn't have it against NC. Congrads on a great season, ladies.

What year did they win the national championship???

Iowa was runners up in 1984, 1988 & 1992. 3rd in 1990 and other final 4 appearances in 1987, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1997 & 2008.

Reactions: EKHawk

Iowa was runners up in 1984, 1988 & 1992. 3rd in 1990 and other final 4 appearances in 1987, 1989, 1993, 1994, 1997 & 2008.
I have never figured out why Iowa has a women's field hockey team. As far as I know, Iowa does not have a HS that has a team. Most of the Iowa team come from the Eastern US. That means all out-of-state scholarships. There must be a sport that could be switched to where Iowa females could compete for scholarships.

I have never figured out why Iowa has a women's field hockey team. As far as I know, Iowa does not have a HS that has a team. Most of the Iowa team come from the Eastern US. That means all out-of-state scholarships. There must be a sport that could be switched to where Iowa females could compete for scholarships.
Hi, let me introduce you Title IX, enacted in 1972 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX . Field hockey is Iowa’s most successful sport outside of wrestling. It’s irregular, but you should be proud of the program’s success.

Softball. Iowa has really good players that end up on teams around the Midwest and play in the B1G beating Iowa. Iowa once had a really good program under Gayle Blevins but Barta got rid of her early in his role as DFM AD. Imagine that. Idiot.

Hi, let me introduce you Title IX, enacted in 1972 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX . Field hockey is Iowa’s most successful sport outside of wrestling. It’s irregular, but you should be proud of the program’s success.
Fine, to satisfy title IX, pick another sport that Iowa high schools participate in or add more scholarships to an existing one. Field hockey is like curling except we would offer scholarships to Canadians. We might be very successful in that too and both sports would draw the same size crowds.

Fine, to satisfy title IX, pick another sport that Iowa high schools participate in or add more scholarships to an existing one. Field hockey is like curling except we would offer scholarships to Canadians. We might be very successful in that too and both sports would draw the same size crowds.
Just out of curiosity, which sport doesn't Iowa have for women that is played by high school girls in Iowa?

Field Hockey, dummy! Are you not paying attention!?

Lol...joking of course.
The whole title 9 thing has always caused problems.

Just out of curiosity, which sport doesn't Iowa have for women that is played by high school girls in Iowa?
Iowa offers every sports that is played by high school girls in Iowa (at least on a mass basis). Volleyball, basketball, track and cross country, soccer, golf.

Iowa offers every sports that is played by high school girls in Iowa (at least on a mass basis). Volleyball, basketball, track and cross country, soccer, golf.
And, softball, tennis, and swimming (close call there), too. Bowling is the only IGHSAU-sanctioned sport UI doesn't have.
If either add a sport in the near future, my best guess is wrestling.

Swung by for fifteen minutes over a late lunch in the fourth quarter. We were down 2-1 with about 11:00 to go. American University parents were yelling “go AU” every five seconds. Hawkeye crowd was too quiet for a bit so we made sure the AU folks knew whose field this was. Watched the LARGE crowd go bonkers with two Hawkeye goals within four minutes and lockdown defense. Our first field hockey game ever. Very fun!

GO HAWKS!!!!

And, the Iowa season ends; Northwestern scores with a minute left to win 1-0.

Yeah, the end of that game was "so Iowa" if you will. Field Hockey team just wanting to fit in, I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT