ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is Wrestling SERIOUSLY Holding Championship on NCAA Week?

iowalaw

All-Conference
Jan 20, 2015
Scottsdale
I am only an ancillary wrestling fan, but I love my hawks and always root for them in every sport. But when I read that they start the national wrestling tournament on the exact same day that more fans tune into March Madness than any other sporting event in the country, I have to ask if the goons who run wrestling are really that oblivious to the world around them? Do the WANT no one to care about wrestling and want no publicity for their biggest event? While they are at it, why not hold their tournament on Super Bowl Sunday? Perhaps they could do it on Christmas?

Again, I'm no wrestling expert, but this scheduling is easily the dumbest PR I have ever heard of. They couldn't hold it the week before NCAAs? Come on, Gabel and crew.

I dont think it matters. The diehard fans of wrestling dont care about hoops and many bball fans dont care about wrestling. Personally, I like both and enjoy going back and forth from the wrestling to basketball.

Originally posted by EpenesaEpenesa:
I dont think it matters. The diehard fans of wrestling dont care about hoops and many bball fans dont care about wrestling. Personally, I like both and enjoy going back and forth from the wrestling to basketball.
I also enjoy both and it drives me crazy that wrestling and the opening round of basketball are the same weekend every year.

This has happened before. The general public is not that interested in wrestling. Sucks for Iowa fans, but that is about it.

The one good thing you can say about it is that wrestling gets ESPN coverage while TBS,TNT, etc. broadcast the first round of basketball.
Can't really be moved into April. If they move it up, they are competing with basketball conference tournaments for TV coverage.

This has been the case for as long as i can remember. Just hasn't been noticeable due to our long absence from the NCAA hoops tournament.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Very few people nationwide care about wrestling.
It's a niche sport.
More of us may notice it here because Iowa is the all time king of NCAA wrestling and it's still a big deal here.

Nobody on this board would be saying anything if the lacrosse playoffs were this week. For all I know they are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT