ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Josh Allen Extending Plays with His Legs

Yeah, that was really really bad prevent the win defense with only 26 seconds to go or so and KC only need a FG to tie with one of the best long ranger kickers out there.

In that position you have to play the receivers tighter off the line, bump them a couple times in the first 5 yards and maybe get an illegal contact penalty at 7 yards but dont let the receivers run free.

A play that takes 7-8 seconds with maybe a 5 yard illegal contact penalty is just that a 5 yard gain but losing precious time.
13 seconds actually.

Reading comprehension not your thing huh?
Novel ideas sure aren't yours.

Yeah, all Iowa needs is a deadly accurate passing QB who throws about as many TD's as incompletions, hardly ever throws an INT, and because of this and his incredible athleticism, is just as much of a threat to run. We'd be awesome. I'm all for it. Just gotta find him...

Novel ideas sure aren't yours.

Yeah, all Iowa needs is a deadly accurate passing QB who throws about as many TD's as incompletions, hardly ever throws an INT, and because of this and his incredible athleticism, is just as much of a threat to run. We'd be awesome. I'm all for it. Just gotta find him...

Your red herring aside. A mobile QB wasn’t novel to our program in 2002, 2004, or 2015.

So when Allen and Wyoming came to Iowa City a few years back I left the game wondering what NFL folks were seeing in this kid to make him a Top 10 draft pick. He played ok against the Hawks but nothing where I said yep that there is a top ten pick.

Obviously what he did yesterday was much different than when he played in IC. What I found amazing was how well he was able to throw a deep ball with zip on it to hit the receiver in stride or beat a coverage. It was like it didn’t matter what the Chiefs d-backs did Allen could beat the coverage.

So when Allen and Wyoming came to Iowa City a few years back I left the game wondering what NFL folks were seeing in this kid to make him a Top 10 draft pick. He played ok against the Hawks but nothing where I said yep that there is a top ten pick.

Obviously what he did yesterday was much different than when he played in IC. What I found amazing was how well he was able to throw a deep ball with zip on it to hit the receiver in stride or beat a coverage. It was like it didn’t matter what the Chiefs d-backs did Allen could beat the coverage.
He has really improved since his rookie year. Props to both him and Buffalo.

To OPs point. Yes, this is why it is important to have a QB that can get yards with his feet. Both QBs had huge plays on scrambles. Most schools realize this.
Buffalo seems to use Allen more as a true runner than I have seen from most NFL teams. So much so that the Chiefs had a hard time adjusting.

Reactions: David1979

173 yards, 2 picks, and no touchdowns. Yeah he was a big name, and then the Hawks shut him down.

Yep horrible calls by DC on last drive.

“The only thing a Prevent D does is Prevent you from winning.”

True then, true now.

Play 9 DB/LB and 2 DL. Let them run all they want. Bump Hill and Kelce in the line and have 1 DB per over the top.

Don’t let Kelce run free up the middle for ****s sake!
Leslie Frazier has always been conservative by nature, hated him as Viking Head Coach. Kirk Ferentz lite. The Bucs throttled the Chiefs in the SB by pressuring the hell out of Mahomes, and gave the rest of the NFL the blueprint, but not everybody can do that. Allen and Mahomes were great. NFL Overtime rule sucks. College is 100 times better.

Yeah, that was really really bad prevent the win defense with only 26 seconds to go or so and KC only need a FG to tie with one of the best long ranger kickers out there.

In that position you have to play the receivers tighter off the line, bump them a couple times in the first 5 yards and maybe get an illegal contact penalty at 7 yards but dont let the receivers run free.

A play that takes 7-8 seconds with maybe a 5 yard illegal contact penalty is just that a 5 yard gain but losing precious time.
You can't afford to let Hill or Hardman get behind you. Heck, Kelce is great in the open field as well.

Last edited:
Still surprised they didn't squib kick to knock a few seconds off that clock. Also, as stated above, correct, need to jam them at line and have a safey over the top.
It would have been better to have defensive holding calls by the Bill's DBs and stop the two long throws. Time would have run out.

Leslie Frazier has always been conservative by nature, hated him as Viking Head Coach. Kirk Ferentz lite. The Bucs throttled the Chiefs in the SB by pressuring the hell out of Mahomes, and gave the rest of the NFL the blueprint, but not everybody can do that. Allen and Mahomes were great. NFL Overtime rule sucks. College is 100 times better.
To be fair…..Mahomes was hurt that game and was missing both his starting tackles.

If Josh allen were a RS Freshman at Iowa, yeah he would be on the bench behind Petras.

The difference is amazing in QB play at the elite level with Allen and Mahones having huge arms, make all the throws, and can make plays with feet.
Those two are incredibly fun to watch in college and the pros now. masters level QB’ing.. Allen and Mahomes have great arms and they’ll pick up a 3rd and long seems like every time! Too dangerous with the legs and arm.

It would have been better to have defensive holding calls by the Bill's DBs and stop the two long throws. Time would have run out.
Was thinking that exact same thing today, just would've been a little risky it was holding and not PI and a spot foul, almost akin to 'fouls to give' in bball and burning clock to avoid a tying 3 point shot.

173 yards, 2 picks, and no touchdowns. Yeah he was a big name, and then the Hawks shut him down.
All that mobility and big arm scored 3 pts on a team that went 8-5 overall and 4-5 in the B1G. Nate Stanley's first year, and first game as a starter. He had 3 td passes to one interception.

Yep horrible calls by DC on last drive.

“The only thing a Prevent D does is Prevent you from winning.”

True then, true now.

Play 9 DB/LB and 2 DL. Let them run all they want. Bump Hill and Kelce in the line and have 1 DB per over the top.

Don’t let Kelce run free up the middle for ****s sake!

This.
The announcers made the same comment. Bills we're STUPID to have 4 DL in that situation. With 13 seconds, it has to be quick passes.

2 DL or maybe 3, would have been a huge difference. More likely Mohomes has to dance around and waste time looking for a reciever.

nfl-kansas-city-chiefs-logo-yellow_1600x1200_896-desktop-copy.png

He was playing for Wyoming. He’s a little better now as well in case you haven’t noticed.
He came in with a lot of build up. He couldn't do much against Iowa's defense, in case YOU didn't notice. Took him a few years before he became an NFL quarterback.

He came in with a lot of build up. He couldn't do much against Iowa's defense, in case YOU didn't notice. Took him a few years before he became an NFL quarterback.
Once he changed his release in year 3 that’s when his career really took off.

Reactions: BBHawk
Again, he played for Wyoming. He was basically the entire team. Hurray, we beat a Mountain West team or Wac team like we should. He’s a stud.
Have to agree with you littlez, 7th overall pick in the draft. Guess they weren't basing that on the game against Iowa. Lol

Sure he was. Everybody gets paid. Mahomes pride was hurt, cause they got their asses handed to them.
He had a turf toe injury going into the game. That’s a fact. Look it up. He was also missing BOTH his starting tackles. Also a fact.

Maybe the Bucs still win, but maybe they don’t. We’ll never know.

Sure he was. Everybody gets paid. Mahomes pride was hurt, cause they got their asses handed to them.
Chiefs were basically a Mash unit for that game. I don't believe they had 1 starting o lineman in that game that started at the beginning of the season. Yes, the other linemen were getting paid but they got dominated. Brady got hit out there a lot on Sunday. Missing your top 2 tackles when you're playing Aaron Donald and Von Miller certainly makes a difference. Unfortunately at this time of year it's a battle of attrition in many cases. As a Chiefs fan they're pretty healthy on the offensive side of the ball right now. Rams seem pretty healthy as well. think that will be the difference this week.

ADVERTISEMENT